To Tux or not to Tux..........

clamar

All the intercontinental flights we've been on allow two suitcases per passenger in economy class. My wife and I take a total of three suitcases. We always take my tux and two formal outfits for her and never exceed baggage weight limits. Furthermore, we always have plenty of clothes for all occasions. As noted previously, if you own a tux, it takes up no more space than a suit.

Consequently, I think those using baggage limits as an excuse for not carrying a tux on intercontinental flights are really groping for an excuse.

They can always come up with a "reason"! ;)

Zombie thread!

Formal attire, a suit or a tux, with some pizzazz, that's what you want to wear... ADMIT IT!

While I don't own a tux (don't really need to look like the matrie d', who really does?), suits with some color I am all OVER!

You do not need an excuse to wear a tux, not wear a tux, or remain casual. There is no one to answer to other than yourself or perhaps your partner.

Why make an excuse if you wish to dress up or if you wish to remain casual. Is conforming really a big issue with a boatload of strangers that you will never see again?

Wear a tux (or Dinner Jacket )

Don't contribute to the decline in class and civility in our society!

As mentioned, a tux takes up no additional room versus taking a suit. (skip the formal shoes, nobody looks down at them anyway.) A bowtie, cufflinks and studs actually takes up less room than a full length tie.

Of course, if you don't plan on bringing a suit at all, try Norwegian Cruise Line

;)

Edited by JPH814

Wear a tux (or Dinner Jacket )

Don't contribute to the decline in class and civility in our society!

As mentioned, a tux takes up no additional room versus taking a suit. (skip the formal shoes, nobody looks down at them anyway.) A bowtie, cufflinks and studs actually takes up less room than a full length tie.

Of course, if you don't plan on bringing a suit at all, try Norwegian Cruise Line

;)

I guess you have just answered my question so I won't have to post. Cruised Hal over 20 yr ago and not a fan of assigned seating or formal nights. I have been looking at a particular travel package that only partners with Hal but since we are retired my friend has no suit or sport coat and I do not own a dress. I had hoped things had gotten more relaxed or less judgemental but I can see we would be made to feel very unwelcome.

You do not need an excuse to wear a tux, not wear a tux, or remain casual. There is no one to answer to other than yourself or perhaps your partner.

We like to dress formally, as we have very few opportunities to do so at home. When we were onboard for our 30th anniversary, DH put on his tux and I slipped into my sparklies and we went for dinner to the Pinnacle Grill. While we were in the elevator, a couple got on, took a look at us, and he said very snidely to DH: "You do know tomorrow is formal night." DH just looked him straight in the eye and said "Yes." No excuse, didn't have to. Wasn't warranted.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We like to dress formally, as we have very few opportunities to do so at home. When we were onboard for our 30th anniversary, DH put on his tux and I slipped into my sparklies and we went for dinner to the Pinnacle Grill. While we were in the elevator, a couple got on, took a look at us, and he said very snidely to DH: "You do know tomorrow is formal night." DH just looked him straight in the eye and said "Yes." No excuse, didn't have to. Wasn't warranted.

That's awesome. He should have said, I know. That's why I'm not in white tie & tails.

I guess you have just answered my question so I won't have to post. Cruised Hal over 20 yr ago and not a fan of assigned seating or formal nights. I have been looking at a particular travel package that only partners with Hal but since we are retired my friend has no suit or sport coat and I do not own a dress. I had hoped things had gotten more relaxed or less judgemental but I can see we would be made to feel very unwelcome.

We have only been on one HAL cruise (less than 60 days ago) and found the dress code to be more relaxed then what we generally read on here. In fact, it was less formal than what we saw on our last Princess cruise. Based on the 4 cruise lines we sail (and we sail 4 cruises a year) we have found dress codes are relaxing. There were 2 formal nights on our 7 day HAL cruise and if you go to the MDR on any other night a jacket with tie is not required and this includes the Pinnacle Grill. Women can wear a nice pant suit and pass any night. HAL has the same food in the Lido restaurant and during certain hours MDR dinner can be ordered through room service. Also you can choose OPEN SEATING dining vs assigned seating.

Edited by qsuzi

If you choose not to dress up for formal nights onboard, you won't be made to feel unwelcome. People won't know if you have early or late seating, or if you've chosen to eat either in your cabin or in the Lido. There will be people wandering the ship in all states of attire even on formal evenings, so don't worry about it. Be aware though, that your friend may be offered a jacket to put on by the maitre 'd on formal nights if you choose to eat in the main dining room. Not all ships do this, but we have seen this happen the past couple of cruises.

If you choose not to dress up for formal nights onboard, you won't be made to feel unwelcome. People won't know if you have early or late seating, or if you've chosen to eat either in your cabin or in the Lido. There will be people wandering the ship in all states of attire even on formal evenings, so don't worry about it. Be aware though, that your friend may be offered a jacket to put on by the maitre 'd on formal nights if you choose to eat in the main dining room. Not all ships do this, but we have seen this happen the past couple of cruises.

Thanks for adding that information ger. I hope cold ferret is feeling more at ease now.

I think that the challenge is that too many people don't want to mind their own business. Somehow they want to put their oar in and comment over what someone else wears or plans to wear.

Why on earth would anyone care or comment if someone wears a tux on a non formal evening? Whatever floats your boat is just fine. A complement may be welcomed but that is as far as it goes.

Besides, who is really going to change their plans because of comments by some nosey Nellie? No one.

Edited by iancal

That's awesome. He should have said, I know. That's why I'm not in white tie & tails.

Or her DH could have turned to the person who was so snide and said "Yes, I know, and honestly I'm surprised you know that too." :rolleyes:

But it sounds like ger77's DH has too much class to say the things I would like to say to rude people. lol :p

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I was in the same situation but not in a tuxedo, just a regular suit and tie. The gentleman's statement was identical and I replied before he got off the elevator :"Yes, I know, and tomorrow night I will have on real formal clothes."

The Tux started to die out when the airlines went from 70lb bags to 50 and charged for checked luggage. Add to that the world is getting much more casual and you have the formula for the death of the Tux.

I now take a dark suit and no Tux, and I own three Tuxes. We used to enjoy formal night but now those who go formal seem to be in the vast minority. Sad to see so many traditions go my the way side but that's the way it goes

A dinner jacket is a tux.

For men, renting is the best option. It's waiting in the cabin at embarkation, they can do last minute adjustments, you don't have to pack it or have it cleaned, and you are spared the need to pack a pair of dress shoes. My partner does it for every cruise and it has never failed.

I, on the other hand, wear my kilt, so I pretty much occupy the luggage space that he has vacated.

Approximately how much is it to rent a tux for a 7 day cruise?

Approximately how much is it to rent a tux for a 7 day cruise?

According to Poster POA it's between $75 to $115...See his Post No. 2 in this thread.. He gives the phone number of the company who rents the TUX..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2074677&highlight=tux+rental

According to their WEB site prices start at about $130 & up

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/packages.php?c=hal

Edited by serendipity1499

According to Poster POA it's between $75 to $115...See his Post No. 2 in this thread.. He gives the phone number of the company who rents the TUX..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2074677&highlight=tux+rental

According to their WEB site prices start at about $130 & up

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/packages.php?c=hal

A friend of ours usually rents. One word of advice: check the fit BEFORE you sail. One time, he got little, short pants. :eek: DBIL and I own our tuxes, so if they don't fit, it's our own fault.

A friend of ours usually rents. One word of advice: check the fit BEFORE you sail. One time, he got little, short pants. :eek: DBIL and I own our tuxes, so if they don't fit, it's our own fault.

Depending on how often you cruise and choose to wear a tux, it may be better (cost, fit, etc.) to buy a tux. DH has had his for about 6 years and it's still in great shape and fits.

Edited by qsuzi

Depending on how often you cruise and choose to wear a tux, it may be better (cost, fit, etc.) to buy a tux. DH has had his for about 6 years and it's still in great shape and fits.

Definitely true. I bought mine about 14 years ago. You don't have to worry about them going put of style (insert powder blue tux with ruffled shirt joke here) and since you own it, it forces you to stay the same size year after year.

My DH was never without a tux (or two) in his closet for the last 35+ years. He had use for one at home on occasion and would bring one or the other on cruises.

The Tux started to die out when the airlines went from 70lb bags to 50 and charged for checked luggage. Add to that the world is getting much more casual and you have the formula for the death of the Tux.

I now take a dark suit and no Tux, and I own three Tuxes. We used to enjoy formal night but now those who go formal seem to be in the vast minority. Sad to see so many traditions go my the way side but that's the way it goes

Just curious - how much heavier is your tux versus your suit?