To Tux or not to Tux..........

clamar

This is the 5th "dress code" thread in the last few months.

It is getting a little tiresome.

The policy is what it is - dress however makes you comfortable and please leave the rest of us alone!@!

Why are you on this thread if it's so tiresome? I don't think leaving you alone should be a problem.

Personally, I enjoy "putting on the Ritz". As a friend used to say, "I can't wait to get up in the morning, because I get better looking every day". The tux just adds to the package. :)

Edited by blizzardboy

The policy is what it is - dress however makes you comfortable and please leave the rest of us alone!@!

So here is a simple solution for you. Go to the top of the thread and click on "thread tools" and then click on "unsubscribe to this thread." Then you will no longer have to see it :eek:

On August 15, 2015 Holland America announced the following changes to the dress code:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

• Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

And this:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which

permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts

I expect before our lives end HAL will make an announcement something like.

Clothing night: All clothes are acceptable with the exception of jammies. (to replace formal/gala nights)

Smart Jammie night: All forms of jammies are acceptable with the exception of "see thru" (to replace smart casual)

HEHE!! just my take.

One of the purposes of this forum is to update travelers on new developments and exchange ideas. Some people may be new to CC and have not seen this announcement and after a few days they get buried in old messages. These are not required reading, so you can simply not look at a postings.

BTW I see the Buffalo Bills will be playing the Titans at Nissan Stadium on Sunday October 11th at 1pm. I will be on the Ryndam in Jordan on that date.

Just to avoid misinformation: please do not dress "however makes you comfortable". But please do follow what is a pretty minimalistic dress code.

Smart Jammie night: All forms of jammies are acceptable with the exception of "see thru" (to replace smart casual).

I'm waiting for "Stupid Casual" night. I paid good money for this cruise, and nobody's gonna make me be smart on MY vacation!

I remember one poster who was complaining about the MDR on a cruise; the rug was shabby and tattered, the tablecloths were worn, and the windows were dirty. The same night on another thread, how dare you tell me what to wear, what I wear has nothing to do with you, why do you care. Self-awareness can be a valuable thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever the dress code says is acceptable attire for men, on Formal, Elegant, Gala or just plain Fancy-Shmancy night, I will wear my tuxedo. I know this is a serious sign of creeping old fuddy duddyism.

Doc:p

Whatever the dress code says is acceptable attire for men, on Formal, Elegant, Gala or just plain Fancy-Shmancy night, I will wear my tuxedo. I know this is a serious sign of creeping old fuddy duddyism.

Doc:p

Hey Doc,

Nothing fuddy-duddy about looking good. I'm as casual as they come since hanging up my spurs, but I still like puttin' on the Ritz once in a while. Tuxes rule!

Not at all.

I am lamenting the fact that people do not want to wear formal attire. It is an idea and an era which is regrettably passing.

Things change, usually for the better.

I am also debunking the concept that bringing a tux is made more difficult by airlines charging more for baggage. A suite jacket, pants and shirt takes up the same room as a tux jacket, pants and formal shirt. Most do not wear "formal" shoes, but just whatever black shoes they normally have. Bow tie versus straight tie? a push. Studs and cufflinks? Really? so that leaves the cummerbund or vest -The only real incremental item.

Whether a suit or a tux takes up more room is irrelevant. We drive to the port and I have no intention of taking either one. Nor, would I wear a tux if the cruise line provided them free of charge.

People using baggage as the reason is using it as an excuse..

You call it an "excuse". Others call it a "reason"

Interesting, you hear and read much less about women using this excuse. Formal attire for women (long dresses vs. short) is much more a capacity issue than for men. Why is it not an issue, because more women WANT to be dressed up.

It's not an issue because most women talk about wearing "nice black slacks and a sparkly top". Very few talk about long dresses. In fact, most women would demand a change if the requirement for formal nights was long gowns.

Women are much more susceptible to 'peer pressure' and more concerned about what other women will think which is not the same thing as 'WANT'ing to be dressed up.

So just admit it guys, you do not want to go formal. Be honest.

You're right. I do not wish to be formal. Is there something wrong with not wanting to dress formally? What I find wrong is one insisting that others dress in a certain way in order to increase one's own enjoyment. Dress as one chooses while extending the same courtesy and respect to the choices of others.

A new idea - duct take for hems. I always carry a travel size roll of Duct tape on cruises, has proven to be very useful sometimes. Now I have a new use! (I have new pants that need to be hemmed before I wear them - perhaps I will simply take them on the ship and hem them with Duct Tape while at sea. Just Kidding!)

A new idea - duct take for hems. I always carry a travel size roll of Duct tape on cruises, has proven to be very useful sometimes. Now I have a new use! (I have new pants that need to be hemmed before I wear them - perhaps I will simply take them on the ship and hem them with Duct Tape while at sea. Just Kidding!)

Buy some seam tape and throw it in the pocket of your suitcase that holds the sewing kit. Tenacious Tape by Gear Aid can fix almost anything.