Crown Noro Outbreaks

robandana

We were recently on the Crown Princess for 2 weeks and during both weeks there were 2 RED alerts (no touching anything in the buffet or dining room)

I was doing some research and it seems that the Crown gets many more cases of NORO than other Princess ships.

Any ideas why? (anyone know how many people need to be sick to go to Red Alert?)

Three weeks in a row now with Red Alerts...this is not normal!

We were recently on the Crown Princess for 2 weeks and during both weeks there were 2 RED alerts (no touching anything in the buffet or dining room)

I was doing some research and it seems that the Crown gets many more cases of NORO than other Princess ships.

Any ideas why? (anyone know how many people need to be sick to go to Red Alert?)

Its (Crown noro) been discussed at length for the last few months, if you do a search you will find numerous threads on the exact same question.

I agree the Crown has had it fair share and much more.

But.....as I always say its everywhere.

Yes you would figure if you don't want to see this thread you would just skip over it...I wonder why why why....

Anyways, I can't believe its just bad luck....maybe they are missing something during there cleaning process....

Just a note, during the Red Alert you are not allowed to touch anything but in the dining room you touch your chair when you sit down, they hand you a menu (that is not cleaned after each use) and the salt and pepper shakers are still on the table.... this makes no sense to me.

If the idea is that no passenger should touch anything that another passenger touches these 3 things are issues in my opinion.

Edited by robandana

Yes you would figure if you don't want to see this thread you would just skip over it...I wonder why why why....

Anyways, I can't believe its just bad luck....maybe they are missing something during there cleaning process....

Just a note, during the Red Alert you are not allowed to touch anything but in the dining room you touch your chair when you sit down, they hand you a menu (that is not cleaned after each use) and the salt and pepper shakers are still on the table.... this makes no sense to me.

If the idea is that no passenger should touch anything that another passenger touches these 3 things are issues in my opinion.

How do you know that the waiter wasn't responsible for cleaning those items before each table was setup? During an outbreak each person on the ship is responsible for cleaning their assigned areas- they just don't sit around & watch the passengers use the hand sanitizer.

There are so many threads on the subject, why, why start yet another hundred thousandth????

Because this is a Princess forum and it is something affecting a Princess ship that people want to discuss? My family got ill on the Crown recently so I'm interested in following this topic. The Crown has had ongoing problems with norovirus, moreso it seems than any other Princess ship, so maybe there is a problem. We spoke with a crew member onboard during our cruise where there was no Code Red, but where there were several passengers and crew who were ill, and was told that in his experience during his contract on the Crown there were some cases of norovirus on every single cruise. Maybe this is the case on every ship, I don't know. But it does seem that the Crown has more issues so I think it is a valid point for discussion here.

And just a note for those who say they saw no sign of illness onboard, that doesn't mean there isn't. It just means it is not widespread. The week we cruised and became ill, there was no code red and you would probably not be aware there were a number of cases onboard unless you, like us, were personally affected and actually spoke with crew and the medical center about the problem.

I can tell you for certain the crew on the Crown is weary of dealing with the constant battle against noro and they are tired of getting sick too!

How do you know that the waiter wasn't responsible for cleaning those items before each table was setup? During an outbreak each person on the ship is responsible for cleaning their assigned areas- they just don't sit around & watch the passengers use the hand sanitizer.

We spent 2 weeks on the Crown and we had 6 days of Red alert and each time I would watch what they did with the menus....just collect them and place them in the menus holders they have at their stations. Then if you wanted desert they would take out the same menus and hand them back to everyone....no cleaning...to time to clean... I remember a time at diner when it was desert time that one passenger said no thanks, the waiter handed out 7 desert menus and after he took our orders and collect each menu the person who originally said no...says oh let me see a menu and he handed them on that he had in his hand form another passenger.... That's how I know.

Edited by robandana

Because this is a Princess forum and it is something affecting a Princess ship that people want to discuss? My family got ill on the Crown recently so I'm interested in following this topic. The Crown has had ongoing problems with norovirus, moreso it seems than any other Princess ship, so maybe there is a problem. We spoke with a crew member onboard during our cruise where there was no Code Red, but where there were several passengers and crew who were ill, and was told that in his experience during his contract on the Crown there were some cases of norovirus on every single cruise. Maybe this is the case on every ship, I don't know. But it does seem that the Crown has more issues so I think it is a valid point for discussion here.

And just a note for those who say they saw no sign of illness onboard, that doesn't mean there isn't. It just means it is not widespread. The week we cruised and became ill, there was no code red and you would probably not be aware there were a number of cases onboard unless you, like us, were personally affected and actually spoke with crew and the medical center about the problem.

I can tell you for certain the crew on the Crown is weary of dealing with the constant battle against noro and they are tired of getting sick too!

Yes this is so true, the crew we spoke with were very tired of the extra cleaning they had to do....I was surprised at what a great attitude they had.

We spent 2 weeks on the Crown and we had 6 days of Red alert and each time I would watch what they did with the menus....just collect them and place them in the menus holders they have at their stations. Then if you wanted desert they would take out the same menus and hand them back to everyone....no cleaning...to time to clean... I remember a time at diner when it was desert time that one passenger said no thanks, the waiter handed out 7 desert menus and after he took our orders and collect each menu the person who originally said no...says oh let me see a menu and he handed them on that he had in his hand form another passenger.... That's how I know.

And on the CB in February I noticed several times in the MDR that they would place the cutlery on the table and then place the menu on top of it. We both had Noro on that cruise, but of course I don't know if that was the reason.

And on the CB in February I noticed several times in the MDR that they would place the cutlery on the table and then place the menu on top of it. We both had Noro on that cruise, but of course I don't know if that was the reason.

Same with the underside of the chairs where while sitting down one would grab to scoot the chair in. Yuk. :cool:

Supposedly, on the cruise before us there was an outbreak of noro which caused a delay in embarkation. On our cruise there were 3 cases - that's it 3 cases. The buffet was shut down to staff serving food and drinks the buffet for 3 days. The captain lifted the self serving ban on day 4. We attended the captains party and of course he would not shake anyone's hand. Throughout his announcements over the loud speaker he warned people not to touch their face and to wash hands frequently. When the captain got on the stage to address the passengers at the party, he immediately wiped his nose with his hand. It's a natural reflex I guess.

It seems the Crown has many more outbreaks than the other ships. I can only assume it's a management problem. Because they seem to have such a problem with it, I particularly chose another ship doing the same basic itinerary. It's just not worth it if you have a choice.

Supposedly, on the cruise before us there was an outbreak of noro which caused a delay in embarkation. On our cruise there were 3 cases - that's it 3 cases. The buffet was shut down to staff serving food and drinks the buffet for 3 days. The captain lifted the self serving ban on day 4. We attended the captains party and of course he would not shake anyone's hand. Throughout his announcements over the loud speaker he warned people not to touch their face and to wash hands frequently. When the captain got on the stage to address the passengers at the party, he immediately wiped his nose with his hand. It's a natural reflex I guess.

I learned quite a bit about the reporting protocol for Noro because we actually went through it and I can assure you there were likely more than three cases. In order to be documented it has to be reported to the medical center and a very long and detailed form has to be completed for the CDC. It is extremely detailed and not something you are too eager to complete while feeling ill, especially as it basically requires you to outline almost everything you have eaten for days as well as where you have been and what you have done on the ship. In our case there were four of us that became ill, but the only form that got completed and returned was the one for my husband who was the first person to get ill. It only got completed and returned because I did it for him. There was no way I was going to be able to fill it out for myself or my daughter once we became ill. I was just not up to it. And my son got sick about an hour after we got home, so his case was obviously not documented. So we were four cases, but only 1 would have been counted. I guarantee that many cases go undocumented because people just aren't able to do the necessary paperwork.

I agree that the Crown Princess has been hit seemingly much more frequently by noro than other ships. I really wonder why. Someone mentioned management; it would be interesting to see if the same management has been there since this started years ago. Is the water system contaminated? Is there a problem with the ventilation system? The Crown has really gotten a bad reputation!

I agree that the Crown Princess has been hit seemingly much more frequently by noro than other ships. I really wonder why. Someone mentioned management; it would be interesting to see if the same management has been there since this started years ago. Is the water system contaminated? Is there a problem with the ventilation system? The Crown has really gotten a bad reputation!

I can see how maybe poor cleaning practices help the virus live from sailing to sailing. It just seems unlikely that each sailing they have sick people boarding the Crown that get sick the same day they set sail....

I spoke with Princess head office, the person that called me told me everyone must leave the ship so the CDC can do a special cleaning...I really don't think this is true. I would even venture to say that the CDC don't send anyone to clean anything on the ship as he mentioned. Its the crew that do a deep cleaning. He said, no that the crew had to leave the ship too.....ya right!

We were looking at the Hawaii/Tahiti 28 day cruise in Oct. but don't want to take the chance....many people got sick on the last one in Nov. last year. Red alert for many days.....

I can see how maybe poor cleaning practices help the virus live from sailing to sailing. It just seems unlikely that each sailing they have sick people boarding the Crown that get sick the same day they set sail....

It is very likely since noro is the 2nd most prevalent illness (after the common cold) in the USA, over 20 million cases a year per the CDC.

It would be like saying it is unlikely that someone developing a cold boards a ship.

Wow - that's a lot of time spent watching menus. And for the record, Princess has a separate dessert menu so they wouldn't be giving the same one back to every one for dessert choices.

I'm just off Crown Princess yesterday and there were no warnings or cases of noro virus that I saw. There was an instance when a sanitation clean up was needed in Horizon Court, but that was more likely from the rough seas on the way up the coast. It's too bad that rather than explore the facts, there seems to be so much conjecture and speculation with thoughts of conspiracy about noro virus on ships. I do know we were in port with Coral Princess in Victoria and they were under alert...maybe because there's this heightened sense about Crown Princess she's just being watched and reported on more frequently. In any case Crown Princess is going into a two week dry dock - maybe that'll kill it.

A friend lives in an assisted living facility where they are currently on lock down due to noro virus...just saying.

Edited by bdjam

In any case Crown Princess is going into a two week dry dock - maybe that'll kill it.

That's what I'm hoping! Surely they have time for extra cleaning, and no new passengers to spread it around.

Wow - that's a lot of time spent watching menus. And for the record, Princess has a separate dessert menu so they wouldn't be giving the same one back to every one for dessert choices.

This is only true for the diner menu, at lunch its the same menu.

Just off the crown on Saturday. Everything was clean and when people tried to sneak the buffet line they made them wash there hands or they could not come into the buffet. They seem to be doing everything right. Plus with the bad wrap the ship has been getting it is the best choice to cruise on since everyone is watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the crown on Saturday. Everything was clean and when people tried to sneak the buffet line they made them wash there hands or they could not come into the buffet. They seem to be doing everything right. Plus with the bad wrap the ship has been getting it is the best choice to cruise on since everyone is watching.

That sanitizer they have really isn't that much good to kill the Noro virus & I avoid using it most times unless I haven't washed my hand just previously.

That sanitizer they have really isn't that much good to kill the Noro virus & I avoid using it most times unless I haven't washed my hand just previously.

I agree but it is better then nothing.

I learned quite a bit about the reporting protocol for Noro because we actually went through it and I can assure you there were likely more than three cases. In order to be documented it has to be reported to the medical center and a very long and detailed form has to be completed for the CDC. It is extremely detailed and not something you are too eager to complete while feeling ill, especially as it basically requires you to outline almost everything you have eaten for days as well as where you have been and what you have done on the ship. In our case there were four of us that became ill, but the only form that got completed and returned was the one for my husband who was the first person to get ill. It only got completed and returned because I did it for him. There was no way I was going to be able to fill it out for myself or my daughter once we became ill. I was just not up to it. And my son got sick about an hour after we got home, so his case was obviously not documented. So we were four cases, but only 1 would have been counted. I guarantee that many cases go undocumented because people just aren't able to do the necessary paperwork.

Or they don't want to be confined to their cabin. Cabin stewards are trained to look for sick people, but I wonder how many go out and about sick and exposing others. I caught a severe cold on a cruise - worse one ever. I confined myself to my cabin as all I wanted to do was sleep and sleep. It was on a Carnival cruise - I remember it well.

Yes watch! Watch people licking their fingers in the dining area. Just sit there and look around at the people sitting at their tables eating and licking their fingers. I see it all the time in the buffet line. People picking food off their plates and eating it then touching the next spoon. This last cruise on the Crown a woman 2 people in front of me had gravy dripping off her plate. She swiped it with her finger, stick her finger in her mouth and went on to the next dish. The crew server saw her do it and changed the spoons. He raised his eyebrows looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.:eek: