Leave cruise at port

cheerldrmom

Has anyone ever left a cruise from a port and flown home mid cruise is it allowed?

not without prior permission from all sorts of people, including local Immigration/Customs. it must also be arranged for BEFORE you board.

obviously in emergencies they make allowances.

In some cases, you can if you get approval in advance. Contact your cruise line to find out their requirements.

Note that you can not get approval for all ports. For instance, a cruise from a US port stopping in Key West, you will not get approval to get off in Key West as it would violate the passenger vessel services act.

The OP is sailing Allure July 24 2016 Eastern Caribbean RT out of Fort Lauderdale. You will not be allowed to leave the cruise because it will put RCCL in violation of the PVSA. This is a finable event and it is unlikely short of your needing to be removed for a medical emergency and evaced to the US.

The OP is sailing Allure July 24 2016 Eastern Caribbean RT out of Fort Lauderdale. You will not be allowed to leave the cruise because it will put RCCL in violation of the PVSA. This is a finable event and it is unlikely short of your needing to be removed for a medical emergency and evaced to the US.

If the OP left in a foreign port, it would not violate the PVSA. However, it would require the ship to submit a new passenger manifest to CBP, which they would then process through the security screening process as a cruise starting in a foreign port. This affects the way that CBP processes the disembarkation interview, and could lead to delays and missed flights, with the attendant complaints. This, and the attendant cost of resubmitting the manifest and possibly requiring more CBP agents at disembarkation, is why the cruise lines are very reluctant to issue permission for voluntary "upstream" disembarkations.

But besides an emergency why would anyone want to do this? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really curious if someone would actually pay for a full cruise to only stay part of it.

I've done this. But, it was the day before the end of a 12-night cruise and we wanted to stay in the last port and continue our vacation from there. But, I can't imagine leaving a cruise in the middle for any other reason! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe rules are different in USA but I know of people who left our cruise in Auckland rather than returning to Sydney. They just through it was a fabulous way of travelling to spend Christmas with the family. It was pre-arranged though.