Westerdam to Hawaii?

Koshlong

We're looking at doing this trip and hope someone can fill us in.

I like sea days; I've never found myself bored on them, but I've never done more than three in a row. So, can somebody tell me what kinds of activities I can expect on the Hawaii trip?

Marnie

There were hula lessons (even if you didn't want to participate it was fun to watch), ukelele (sp?) lessons, drum lessons, fantastic lectures, fantastic performances by our Hawaiian hosts on board (they really were fantastic).

Days passed easily even though we ended up with more sea days than we should have.

I did do a live thread when we did our 33 day Hawaii,Tahiti and Marquesas cruise this April/May and the On Location are published on a popular CC website (just think hal and fact or HAL Cruiser Information) as well. Hope this helps :)

Edited by kazu

We are doing that cruise in January and looking forward to the sea days. We did one TA and really enjoyed the sea days, so looking forward to these 5 in a row to Hawaii and 5 in a row home. We never seem to have a lack of things to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loved this cruise for a sampling of Hawaii and thoroughly enjoyed the sea days. There were classes, different types of lecturers, games, movies, etc. On some days, this made the decision of what to do at any given time a bit difficult - and still get some much enjoyed reading in each day.

Anyone who's done a T/A repositioning has had more consecutive sea days than will occur on a Westerdam Hawaii itinerary - and should have a good idea of how they will "tolerate" the ordeal.

since the OP has only done 3 sea days in a row, they haven't been on a TA;)

Having done a number of TA's, I found more activities on the Hawaii cruise than I normally see on the TA's (or perhaps those activities had more appeal ;) )

HAL is really, really good at organizing sea days. We've been on cruises where there have been 8 sea days in a row and an amazing variety and quantity of things to do were scheduled.

Walking the deck, reading, puzzles, eating and drinking, napping also are good bets!

I just got off that cruise last week (sigh - wish I were back on it!). It was our second time going to Hawaii via cruise ship, but our first time going there and coming back - we loved it!

There were three of us, a friend, myself and my husband. My friend originally said she did not want to come as she thought she would be bored by Day 3. But, she decided that coming with us on a cruise would be a good thing as she recently lost her husband, and was feeling a little lost in life. She came, and she LOVED it - she was never bored and after leaving the islands, she really looked forward to the 5 days at sea again.

My friend was busy from morning until night - she attended many of the crafts, dance instructions & sessions, ukulele lessons, port talks, cooking demos (I don't recall seeing any lectures though by the On Location staff as someone else above mentioned) and she felt more than ready for the islands on her own. As well as the on location activities, she found many of the regular activities such as the shows, the deck BBQ's & happenings, the afternoon tea, shopping, Digital At Sea sessions & a ton of other things kept her busy. She also purchased the Greenhouse Spa which she said she thoroughly enjoyed and filled her days.

And, just as an FYI in case anyone else was like me & had the wrong idea about this, she also attended the first singles meeting and made two really good friends from it. I have to mention my own 'blunder' here - when she told me about the singles club I looked at her strangely as I always thought that it was for 'matching' but it's not that at all!

Another one of her favorites, along with one of the friends she met at the singles lunch was sitting over hot chocolate and chatting at the Chocolate Indulgence Shop - EVERY ship needs one of those little areas!

I wasn't that busy, I attended a few of the things with her everyday, but mostly was there to read (2 books! a record for me - LOVED it!), watch the ocean go by and cross stitch - something I have not done for eons as I have never had time!

My husband enjoyed a few of the activities too but mostly enjoyed laying around the cabin (we had a suite) researching on the internet (we bought the unlimited package), and watching the news interspersed by a few really good movies. He did make sure though to attend Happy Hour :-)) so he did get out the cabin for a bit! He was totally relaxed.

All three of us concluded we could have gone for at least 10 sea days in a row. Probably not possible though, the ship would run out of fuel I guess - the most I have heard of (and experienced) is 8 days.

Oh - and the islands were fabulous! This is a 'do-over again' cruise for sure.