Buying Kahluha In Cozumel

Marlster

We will be in Cozumel for the day and want to buy a couple bottles of kahluha to take home, do they sell it at the pier at one of the gift shops, or do you have to take a taxi to a grocery/liquor store to get it? Sometimes at the pier shops they try to rip you off. Would like some tips for buying it, thanks.

Marlster

Taking a taxi into the center of town to buy Kahluah...now that's getting ripped off. For an extra dollar or two, you are still ahead of the game to buy it at the pier. :)

Edited by kendon

We will be in Cozumel for the day and want to buy a couple bottles of kahluha to take home, do they sell it at the pier at one of the gift shops, or do you have to take a taxi to a grocery/liquor store to get it? Sometimes at the pier shops they try to rip you off. Would like some tips for buying it, thanks.

Marlster

Check onboard in the shop, I have found it cheaper then shore prices.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Know your prices and beware of "short" fills I've seen 650 or 900ml bottle that are identical to 750 s and 1000's(Skippy peanut Butter does the same stateside so its nothing new) As far as tequila don't buy any brand you are NOT familiar with.

Also in terms of Kahlua, be careful you don't get counterfit.....

For a dollar or two I'd stick to liquor store next to the pier. Single Malts are a MUCH better buy

Check the price on the ship before you shop on land. If you find a cheaper price on land, take a photo of the bottle and when you return to the ship show it to them & they'll honor the cheaper price.

If you'll an Elite member (or get to know someone who is) they can get an additional 10% discount. Have them show the photo & make the purchase for you and then reimburse them. If the cruise is close to completion they'll let people take their purchase directly with them.

Also, be aware that they'll take it at the gangway, unless it's the last day of your cruise. Might as well buy it in the ship's store...

They'll take it then hold it until the last day of your cruise...no worries

Serious question since I don't really drink much hard stuff, but how much cheaper is buying alcohol in Mexico? Isn't Costco a descent price?

Ya Costco is cheaper but dont know if there is a Costco in Cozumel, haven't checked yet. Yes sometimes the liquor is cheaper on the ship, but more often it is NOT, and they call it duty free (what a laugh). I really cannot understand why all cruiselines charge so much for their drinks at the bar, they get it duty free (like real duty free). If they were reasonable people wouldn't try to smuggle it on board.

The cost of the large bottle of kahluha here in Canada it is $40.00 and in the Baja we get it at Costco for $11.00 U.S., quite a bit cheaper just because it is made in Mexico.

Thanks everyone for your info.,

Marlster

Ya Costco is cheaper but dont know if there is a Costco in Cozumel, haven't checked yet. Yes sometimes the liquor is cheaper on the ship, but more often it is NOT, and they call it duty free (what a laugh). I really cannot understand why all cruiselines charge so much for their drinks at the bar, they get it duty free (like real duty free). If they were reasonable people wouldn't try to smuggle it on board.

The cost of the large bottle of kahluha here in Canada it is $40.00 and in the Baja we get it at Costco for $11.00 U.S., quite a bit cheaper just because it is made in Mexico.

Thanks everyone for your info.,

Marlster

I think we paid less then $10 onboard.

Cruiselines charge so much for drinks because they are in business to make money.

Also, be aware that they'll take it at the gangway, unless it's the last day of your cruise. Might as well buy it in the ship's store...

They will return it to you on last night, if you buy on the ship you also won't get it until last night of cruise.

Edited by antsp

i love Kaluha and bought it aboard the Epic last April. We went ashore in Cozumel and I found it cheaper at the shops near the dock. It was some sort of open air mall. I took a picture of the Kalhua and the price and showed it to the shop on board the ship. They guarantee their price. They gave me the lower price I found it for plus I never had to carry it around after we spent the day swimming at Mr. Sanchos. Make sure you take a picture of the Kahluha with your phone and you can see the sale price and the liter amount. Enjoy Cozumel...one of my favorite places!:)

Couldn't agree more. Priced a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue on our last cruise in December. $185 on the ship, approx $225 at every port. Same with Rum Chata and a few other brands we enjoy. The ship was less expenses in every case. Having said that, the port shops did have some BOGO specials that couldn't be beat by the ship however, it required us to spend much more than we wanted to so we never considered them.

If you'll an Elite member (or get to know someone who is) they can get an additional 10% discount. Have them show the photo & make the purchase for you and then reimburse them. If the cruise is close to completion they'll let people take their purchase directly with them.
That's an abuse of the system. This is the type of thing that can result in everyone losing the privilege.

That's an abuse of the system. This is the type of thing that can result in everyone losing the privilege.

Abuse or not, it still results in sales for Princess & they still make a profit but it might not be as much. A little profit is still better than none at all if they purchase their item off the ship :D

Edited by floridalover5623

Serious question since I don't really drink much hard stuff, but how much cheaper is buying alcohol in Mexico? Isn't Costco a descent price?

Not all Costcos are able to sell liquor inside their stores. Texas and Oklahoma come to mind. It has to do with state alcohol laws.

We used to go to Cancun almost every year. I would always buy Kahlua at Walmart and paid $8 for the bottle that looks like a Mayan idol.

Not all Costcos are able to sell liquor inside their stores. Texas and Oklahoma come to mind. It has to do with state alcohol laws.

No liquor sold at Costco in Canada, wish there was, would give the government run ones a run for their money.

I agree ... save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy it on the ship. If buying it on the last day, they allow you to take it directly to your cabin. If you purchase it during the cruise, they will hold it for you until the last day. You can be assured to get the real deal on the ship and their prices are darned good. We've noticed specials where you can buy two bottles and get a discount. On top of that, if you have Elite or think even Platinum status on Princess, you receive an additional discount. No better way to buy it if you ask me ... and you can also use up some of your obc if this applies to you.

There is a liquor store in Cozumel that has a great selection of rums, tequilas, mezcals as well as wine and cheese. It is on the main street (Rafael Melgar) that runs from the cruise port to the downtown area. It is about half way, at the corner of Quintana Roo and Rafael Melgar. The name of the store is La Europea.