Venice - to do?

viranpooja

Hi guys!! My extended family of 11 are going on a cruise soon and it starts and stops in Venice. Some of us have been to Venice in the past, and all we got to do was the Gondola ride and hang out on the Square. We definitely would like to do the gondola ride this time, but are planning to do an evening one that includes dinner using Viator.

We will be there one day prior to the cruise departing (will be landing that morning, therefore would be able to start our day around noon), and then the day of the cruise we have till 4pm. When the cruise returns, we also have that full day as well.

Day 1: noon till evening

Day 2: morning till 4pm

Day 3: any time after 10:30am till evening

Some things we were considering: Burano, Murano, Doge's Palace.

Another absurd idea was to go to Dolomite Mountains on Day 3

Any advice, tips? Things to do? Must dos? Thanks in advance!!!!

We took a train to Verona...Romeo and juliets balcony ( although apparently not the real one) but it was a lovely town!! I think it was 1/1/2 ride.? Not positive. This time we are taking a train to padua or pad ova. Not sure yet but it is only 1/2 hour train. Murano and burano are good too but enjoyed Verona a lot more.

I would reccommend taking the train to Verona- its cheap and easy to do . Because we have been to Venice and Verona previously we will probably do the ships excursion to Murano and Burano when we go in Sept.(We usually try to visit places independantly but in the case of the 2 islands we feel taking the ships excursion will probably be best- but im very willing to open to suggestions if there is a better plan (and cheaper way of visiting both places in a short time span!)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Hi guys!! My extended family of 11 are going on a cruise soon and it starts and stops in Venice. Some of us have been to Venice in the past, and all we got to do was the Gondola ride and hang out on the Square. We definitely would like to do the gondola ride this time, but are planning to do an evening one that includes dinner using Viator.

We will be there one day prior to the cruise departing (will be landing that morning, therefore would be able to start our day around noon), and then the day of the cruise we have till 4pm. When the cruise returns, we also have that full day as well.

Day 1: noon till evening

Day 2: morning till 4pm

Day 3: any time after 10:30am till evening

Some things we were considering: Burano, Murano, Doge's Palace.

Another absurd idea was to go to Dolomite Mountains on Day 3

Any advice, tips? Things to do? Must dos? Thanks in advance!!!!

[YOUTUBE]4f6aTEixry8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]u-hDWnb3P3E[/YOUTUBE]

I would reccommend taking the train to Verona- its cheap and easy to do . Because we have been to Venice and Verona previously we will probably do the ships excursion to Murano and Burano when we go in Sept.(We usually try to visit places independantly but in the case of the 2 islands we feel taking the ships excursion will probably be best- but im very willing to open to suggestions if there is a better plan (and cheaper way of visiting both places in a short time span!)

the Alilaguna does a regular trip to Murano,Burano and Torcello with time to explore each island. About 2-3 hours altogether

buy tickets at booth at tree lined place along from St Marks square-think paid about 20 euros and will be much cheaper then a ships excursion

Veniceforvisitors.com is a great resource.

Don't overthink it, the best thing to do in Venice is just to meander through the streets and along the canals, getting lost, soaking in the atmosphere. The Doge's palace and the Peggy Guggenheim are fun to visit if you have enough time, but Venice is one town where you don't need an agenda and can just let the days play themselves out.

Veniceforvisitors.com is a great resource.

Don't overthink it, the best thing to do in Venice is just to meander through the streets and along the canals, getting lost, soaking in the atmosphere. The Doge's palace and the Peggy Guggenheim are fun to visit if you have enough time, but Venice is one town where you don't need an agenda and can just let the days play themselves out.

As I continued looking at things to do in Venice I seemed to find this suggestion over and over. Guess we will plan on getting lost in Venice for at least one full day before the cruise. Usually love wandering around other Italian towns with no agenda...I'm sure Venice will be no different. Thanks for reinforcing what I've read elsewhere. I did finally find which port we are leaving from too.

Thanks everyone. The plan is to have one day to wander, but with 11 people, we will have to have at least some set plans.

Day 1:

○ Check into cruise ship and drop off bags

○ Evening Gondola Ride

Day 2:

○ Doge's Palace

○ Free time, walk around and eat

Day 3:

○ Return back from cruise so check into hotel to drop off bags

○ Burano

○ Murano

The first night that we are there, the Redentore Festival will be going on. Any advice on how to see the fireworks? Or just walk around?

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a 12 night med cruise, and my DH and DD's favorite thing, hands down, was the cooking class in venice that I booked for them as a private excursion. I found it on trip advisor- acquolina cooking school- Marika was excellent and they've already hosted an incredible pasta dinner in the month since we've been home.

We just returned from a 12 night med cruise, and my DH and DD's favorite thing, hands down, was the cooking class in venice that I booked for them as a private excursion. I found it on trip advisor- acquolina cooking school- Marika was excellent and they've already hosted an incredible pasta dinner in the month since we've been home.

Sounds wonderful! I will ask to see if they would like to do this. Do they provide transportation from the cruise?

For something very different have a look at Row Venice. - Private stand up rowing lesson in the back canals and out into the lagoon can't remember the name of the type of boat but they are bigger than a gondola. We really enjoyed this activity.

Sounds wonderful! I will ask to see if they would like to do this. Do they provide transportation from the cruise?

No, but the water taxi left right from the cruise terminal, and Marika provided a great map to direct them street by street once they arrived in Lido.

They took the 8:30 water ferry (she had said they could take the 8:55) so they would have plenty of time, and they did, so they stopped for coffee and gelato along the way to the 10:30 class since they were able to get their bearings with her detailed map.

They were signed up for a half day class that runs 10:30-2:30, but she also has a full day 8 hour class that includes going to the market to do the shopping as part of the class, however since our ship was sailing at 6:30 that evening and all aboard was at 6, getting out of that class at 5 would have been cutting it too close (no matter how much they wanted to do it.... :) ).

Edited by powelweb

For something very different have a look at Row Venice. - Private stand up rowing lesson in the back canals and out into the lagoon can't remember the name of the type of boat but they are bigger than a gondola. We really enjoyed this activity.

That actually sounds pretty cool too! I will look in this! thanks