Port Information Expert

BridgeMates

• 1 month later...

We are arriving at port in Vancouver and need to get to Seattle airport where we will rent a car for scenic drive to SF. Celebrity used to have an excursion to the Seattle airport but we are told they no longer do that. Any suggestions?

We are arriving at port in Vancouver and need to get to Seattle airport where we will rent a car for scenic drive to SF. Celebrity used to have an excursion to the Seattle airport but we are told they no longer do that. Any suggestions?

Princess offers transportation to the Seattle airport from Vancouver as there are passengers who do have flights out of Seattle.

You should be able to sign up for this transportation even if you do not have a plane to catch.

I assume that you already looked into renting a car in Vancouver rather than Seattle...? Some rental agencies don't like their cars leaving WA, but others are happy to let your drive to OR, CA, or anywhere you like - if you didn't check pricing, do that first just in case you can get a good deal.

Even if it's cheaper getting a rental from SEA to SF, another one-way rental from Vancouver to SEA may be the cheapest (and is always the most flexible) way to cross the border. Depending how many people you mean by 'we' Amtrak train, Bolt Bus, Greyhound might be less than a car rental + gas, but even 2 people can often get a better deal renting, including taxes. If you get REALLY lucky and score the $1 seat on Bolt then that's definitely the cheapest!

Quickshuttle linked above are very convenient but expensive - if you literally just want to get off the ship and get on the road, a Princess transfer will cost less and have fewer stops. Bolt, Greyhound or Amtrak are all cheaper than QS for 2 people - even when you factor in a cab to get to and from the bus stations. If you are able to make the train schedule work, Amtrak is definitely the most pleasant travel mode - less hassle at the border than any bus since you get pre-cleared here in Vancouver, plus a bistro car serving passable food and a decent variety of booze. Views are much better from the train than I5 too.

{Snipped}

I assume that you already looked into renting a car in Vancouver rather than Seattle...? Some rental agencies don't like their cars leaving WA, but others are happy to let your drive to OR, CA, or anywhere you like - if you didn't check pricing, do that first just in case you can get a good deal.

You probably would find it impossible to get a car in BC to take across the border and then leave it in the USA. The ones I have hired specifically do not allow it to cross the border. One way rentals are also generally expensive.

How do I find the man who has done excellent maps and port information all around the world. I've got a new computer and lost lots of my files.

He used to send out an email when he added a port.

Thanks. Any help appreciated.

It would help if you have any idea what his name is.

One who did the Baltic ports no longer works for Princess.

Two or three others have passed away.

You probably would find it impossible to get a car in BC to take across the border and then leave it in the USA. The ones I have hired specifically do not allow it to cross the border. One way rentals are also generally expensive.

That's why I specified different agencies have different rules (and even some franchisees of the same company) - but it is VERY easy to find one-way rentals between Vancouver and Seattle, even drop-fee-free ones. The laws preventing US-licensed cars being rented in Canada ceased to exist in 2009 IIRC, ever since it's been purely a logistics issue - due to the popularity of one-way rentals YVR-SEA it's trivial to find them for under $100, and I know of multiple sub-$50 rentals from the cruise terminal here to Seattle. Some agencies do restrict to No Border Crossings - but they're in the minority, it's more common here to restrict which US states and even Canadian provinces you can drive into.

I just looked into renting a minivan while I have family visiting - since we have a Portland apartment we'll be taking everyone to this did restrict our rental choices as it would need to let us get to Oregon from BC. We had a ridiculous combination of allowable locations to drive in offered that varied among BC/AB, BC/WA, BC/AB/WA/ID/OR, BC/WA/OR/CA, Anywhere in Canada, and Anywhere on US or Canadian Mainland. One ways with a drop at PDX were allowed by all the folks who would let us drive into OR - but the fees were hefty, so cheaper to just keep the car parked a few days in Portland then bring it back.

My best guess is a YVR-SEA rental plus the SEA-SF would be cheaper than a YVR-SF, even though the latter is legal (drop fee might equate to 'truck it back to BC' cost since very little demand for customers to drive the other direction, unlike between Vancouver & Seattle which folks do every day).

Edited by martincath
Remove double-spacing

Hi there

If it works for your schedule, there is also the train. 4 hr. ride, very nice, scenic. If it doesn't fit your schedule there are many more scheduled shuttle/buses available.

You can check online and also if you look at the West coast departures threads you can find much more information.

hope this helps

have a great cruise