Carry on water and soda from port

coldweather

For my most recent NCL cruise I was asked to "dump" the water in my water bottle prior to putting my carry on bag through the screening machine at initial embarkation. The screener told me.... "It's just like at the airport. No liquids."

I recall that was only at initial embarkation. I was not asked to "dump" the water in my water bottle prior to screening to get back on the ship from the ports of call.

I recently read somewhere on CC that the new policy of not allowing water/soda to be brought onboard also applies to a single open water/soda that you may have purchased in port.

It would also apply to water that you carried off the ship (in your own bottle or a disposable bottle). No liquids though the screening machine.

Would a recent NCL cruiser please share your experience when boarding the ship from port. Is the process the same or different than the initial embarkation?

Thank you.

When I was on the Gem the week of September 3, people were asked to show any liquids they had on them to the screeners when returning to the ship at each port. Bags were run through the scanner and if there was anything liquid, it had to be removed from the bag for the screener to inspect.

Some liquids -- like maple syrup and bottles of alcohol -- were allowed to be carried on, although the liquor had to be turned in or corkage fee paid (for wine), in accordance with standard procedure. Any non-alcoholic drinks, including opened water bottles, had to be discarded.

This was being enforced by the personnel I saw. The screening took place as you stepped onto the deck of the ship, not in the port.

Edited by jm485

For my most recent NCL cruise I was asked to "dump" the water in my water bottle prior to putting my carry on bag through the screening machine at initial embarkation. The screener told me.... "It's just like at the airport. No liquids."

I recall that was only at initial embarkation. I was not asked to "dump" the water in my water bottle prior to screening to get back on the ship from the ports of call.

I recently read somewhere on CC that the new policy of not allowing water/soda to be brought onboard also applies to a single open water/soda that you may have purchased in port.

It would also apply to water that you carried off the ship (in your own bottle or a disposable bottle). No liquids though the screening machine.

Would a recent NCL cruiser please share your experience when boarding the ship from port. Is the process the same or different than the initial embarkation?

Thank you.

While the personnel is wrong comparing it to an "airport"... it is consistent with NCLs policy to NOT allow beverages of any kind on to the ship at any time:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-water-or-soda-board

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.

I think it just depends. We were on BA last week and walked back on from port twice with drinks. The first time it was a fountain soda and the second time a large bottle of water we bought in port. No one said anything to us although there were signs that said no liquids. (I didn't see the sign at first or I would've thrown them away since I don't like to act like an exception to the rules.)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was reprimanded for bringing a bottle of water on-board - it was a filtered bottle I purchased ahead of the cruise and filled on the ship. It went through the scanner and showed up. When questioned I told the security person I had filled it up the previous night and taken it ashore. She told me not to do that but let me through with the warning (which I subsequently ignored). :p

I know many Vermonters who would bring their own maple syrup on board so they could have it with their pancakes.

I'm taking my Red Gold Ketchup next time for my French fries. I'm never spending a whole week trapped on a ship with less-than-awesome ketchup ever again. I can't imagine a worse vacation.

Hahahahaha! *gasp* HAHAHAAaahhhaaaahhaha

Oh boy.

Yup,,,, we were on the Dawn last week on a New England cruise (like the Gem). Maple Syrup was the item of choice to buy and bring on board. Dawn and Gem passengers making calls in Canada have been scooping up Maple like it was going out of style.

The port in Maine had another sign (didn't get a picture) about not bringing any food (itemized list included hamburgers, french fries, lobsters (to replace the departed lobsters from the menu), drinks) into the security screening area or onto the ship.

Gangway.jpg

Hahahahaha! *gasp* HAHAHAAaahhhaaaahhaha

Oh boy.

I saw it with my own eyes. Our trip was to Canada and the woman in front of me had bought a bottle of syrup in port. The guard made her take it out of her backpack and when he saw it was syrup, waved her -- and the syrup -- through.

It was a liquid, so I guess he had to make sure it wasn't a beverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question;

When they instituted the no beverages brought on board they stated it was for security reasons etc.

I am wondering if the same policies were put in place on the other NCLH brands? Specifically Oceania and Regent ships? I have not been able to see anywhere that this was so.

Is it only NCL passengers who pose a security risk? Or it the opposite true, so they only care about the security of the NCL passengers?

Rochelle

Thank you.

I was on the NCL Pearl to Alaska. I had an extra water bottle as we were leaving for port so i threw it into my suitcase. it was there when my suitcase arrived in my room. I also had a few instances of not finishing my water bottle before i returned to the ship from the ports. It was ran through the machine and not noticed. i feel like its a person by person rule. If they notice it and care to do much about it.

I'm taking my Red Gold Ketchup next time for my French fries. I'm never spending a whole week trapped on a ship with less-than-awesome ketchup ever again. I can't imagine a worse vacation.

I have a bottle of ghost pepper infused ketchup that puts hair on your hair that would require multiple drafts from the District to quell the fire.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Oceania and Regent ships are all inclusive. Don't need to take water onboard.

Hmm I was not aware that Oceania went all inclusive. I was under the impression they had beverage packages as well, at least that is what I have seen in the brochures that come to my door.

Also I know they have water included. What I was curious is if they have to empty their beverages when they re board the ship as well? Or are they allowed to bring beverages on the ship (partial or full)?

In fact I had wondered if a lot of the things that have been taken away or now incur a fee on NCL have been done in order to become selling points for Oceania where they are included. In the promotional material I have looked at, these inclusions, such as bottle water and free room service are definitely highlighted.

Then again, perhaps I just notice it more because it has been taken away from the NCL ships.

Rochelle

Yup,,,, we were on the Dawn last week on a New England cruise (like the Gem). Maple Syrup was the item of choice to buy and bring on board. Dawn and Gem passengers making calls in Canada have been scooping up Maple like it was going out of style.

The port in Maine had another sign (didn't get a picture) about not bringing any food (itemized list included hamburgers, french fries, lobsters (to replace the departed lobsters from the menu), drinks) into the security screening area or onto the ship.

I saw it with my own eyes. Our trip was to Canada and the woman in front of me had bought a bottle of syrup in port. The guard made her take it out of her backpack and when he saw it was syrup, waved her -- and the syrup -- through.

See? That totally makes sense. I thought this was a revival of the old talk of people (like mentioned from Vermont) brining their own bottles on board because the ship's just isn't as good. Yeah, that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unless and until the people bombard the headquarters and Andy Stuart's email it will get worse.

I have.

The customers of NCL made a whole lot of difference when Del Rio got the message about taking food back to your cabin.

Squawk.....Send emails if you're tired of having the militant, police your water.

You can live without food and alcohol...You can't live without water.

This entire thing about not being able to bring the water of ...YOUR CHOICE...is ludicrous.

All water doesn't taste the same and Aquafina is one of the worst when you have to drink 6-8 a day.

NCL has stepped over the line.

It's not? Oops. My bad. :o

I am just curious if anyone knows the answer to this question;

When they instituted the no beverages brought on board they stated it was for security reasons etc.

I am wondering if the same policies were put in place on the other NCLH brands? Specifically Oceania and Regent ships? I have not been able to see anywhere that this was so.

Is it only NCL passengers who pose a security risk? Or it the opposite true, so they only care about the security of the NCL passengers?

Rochelle

You've seen NCL passengers, right? We're a shady bunch, we are! ;)