My First River Cruise.....OMG....

Lois R

I don't know. Maybe it is my format or I know sometimes I

hit the return button before I type to the end.

EXcuse my jumping in, but Lois - you shouldn't have to hit the return key at all. The text should automatically flow to the next line. No need to worry about line endings.

Lois ~ hello, my friend! It was so good to find this thread on your Ama cruise. I am just beginning to think about a 2017 river cruise for our family and I found this thread. Ama is my top choice of line at the moment so your comments and insights were most helpful.

I already know we are going to love river cruising. Sailing on the large, mass market lines isn't the same any longer and we're looking for new adventures just like the ones you've described here. Fewer people, more intimate, out of the way places. The thought of a quieter journey to places we've never been or would never get to on a large ship is very appealing.

Thanks so much for your detailed report. It's much appreciated.

Hope you are doing well!!!

• 11 months later...
Hi Anne, so good to hear from you as well:)...I have a feeling you and

Andy will love River cruising:)

Lois, excuse me for butting in..did you find the dining seating awkward? I am going solo AMAViola in the fall...do they seat you or do you just wander around asking "anyone sitting here?" like in middle school.

Lois' date=' excuse me for butting in..did you find the dining seating awkward? I am going solo AMAViola in the fall...do they seat you or do you just wander around asking "anyone sitting here?" like in middle school.[/quote']

Hi,:D you are not butting in, I am surprised to see the thread though.....it is over a year old.....I did not find the dining

awkward at all actually:)........there is a lovely lounge area and most folks are in there before dinner having drinks.......

it is very easy to meet other people and usually folks are very friendly and I ate with some of the same people during

the cruise. And no, I did not wander around asking.........and there is a Cruise Manager on board who (on our cruise)

was awesome:D.......he knew a few of us were sailing solo and joined us for dinner one night. It was very nice.

I had no problems finding people to share a table with and it is nothing like middle school:eek:........I am guessing you read

my review? I think I posted about the dining experience in there too:).....

Backing up a bit........I arrived in Amsterdam a day early and stayed at

"The Banks Mansion" hotel. It is a lovely property. A big flower market

on one side, with a canal on the other, it is sort of a cross between a

B&B and a hotel. The lobby is like a living room with a fire place and

complimentary juices/coffees/teas/booze (yes liquors are included).

The large breakfast room is downstairs and is also included in the price.

The staff (reception) are very warm and welcoming.....and helpful too.

Thanks for your input, we will be staying at Banks Mansion for 3 nights at the end of this month prior to our cruise, lovely to hear from someone who has stayed there and enjoyed it.

Backing up a bit........I arrived in Amsterdam a day early and stayed at

"The Banks Mansion" hotel. It is a lovely property. A big flower market

on one side, with a canal on the other, it is sort of a cross between a

B&B and a hotel. The lobby is like a living room with a fire place and

complimentary juices/coffees/teas/booze (yes liquors are included).

The large breakfast room is downstairs and is also included in the price.

The staff (reception) are very warm and welcoming.....and helpful too.

Thanks for your input, we will be staying at Banks Mansion for 3 nights at the end of this month prior to our cruise, lovely to hear from someone who has stayed there and enjoyed it.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:) and yes, I highly recommend The Banks:D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,:D you are not butting in, I am surprised to see the thread though.....it is over a year old.....I did not find the dining

awkward at all actually:)........there is a lovely lounge area and most folks are in there before dinner having drinks.......

it is very easy to meet other people and usually folks are very friendly and I ate with some of the same people during

the cruise. And no, I did not wander around asking.........and there is a Cruise Manager on board who (on our cruise)

was awesome:D.......he knew a few of us were sailing solo and joined us for dinner one night. It was very nice.

I had no problems finding people to share a table with and it is nothing like middle school:eek:........I am guessing you read

my review? I think I posted about the dining experience in there too:).....

Yes I have read it and many more of yours!. Did they have a photographer on board? Incidentally, I have searched roll call and posted one for my Oct 2017 cruise on AMAviola twice, and have not had one "I'm in" and it's been on since January. Perhaps I shall have the place to myself!

Hi, I don't recall a photographer. Sorry but maybe there was one but I just don't remember. And River Cruise roll calls

are much less active than Ocean cruises.........

Just returned from consecutive cruises on AmaStella and AmaSonata... Lois' recall is correct; there is no photographer aboard...

Lois... Stopped by when I noticed that you had posted... Seems to me that your next big adventure is coming up [like now]! Travel safety, have fun, enjoy every moment!

Best, Mike