Gratuity price increase.

sheila59

I booked the Magic yesterday, I asked the cruise agent at Carnival about the gratuity increase and she said it was the first she had heard about it, and that there is not any increase.

I booked the Magic yesterday, I asked the cruise agent at Carnival about the gratuity increase and she said it was the first she had heard about it, and that there is not any increase.

Some times they are the last to know!

When are you sailing?

Got this email on 4-29-16:

Our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $12.00 to $12.95 per person per day for guests sailing in standard staterooms and $13.95 per person per day for guests booked in suites with cruises departing September 1, 2016 and onward. In tandem with this change, in addition to priority embarkation and debarkation in all ports and confirmed main dining room preference, suite guests will now receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage, as well as an enhanced turndown service. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities as of May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

While gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign account as a convenience, tipping is always at your discretion. Please feel free to adjust, up or down, as you deem appropriate, by visiting Guest Services after the gratuities have been posted to your account.

Our shipboard team members work hard to provide exceptional service so we hope you will agree that this slight increase is well deserved.

We thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise!

Sincerely,

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers

When does this go into effect

its in the email:

Our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $12.00 to $12.95 per person per day for guests sailing in standard staterooms and $13.95 per person per day for guests booked in suites with cruises departing September 1, 2016 and onward. In tandem with this change, in addition to priority embarkation and debarkation in all ports and confirmed main dining room preference, suite guests will now receive priority tender service, complimentary in-suite bottled water and one complimentary bag of laundry per voyage, as well as an enhanced turndown service. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities as of May 9 will not be affected by the increase.

I booked a cruise Friday on board and when i saw this post (as its for Oct 2017) i went and checked my confirmation. My prepaid tips are the same as now. I guess since it's not Sept yet and i prepaid mine, i got the old price. and i checked carnival FAQ page

To the person who said don't sweat about it, its just a buck more. they were not "whining" about it, just wanted to confirm the price increase. Suites are $2.00 more (which i dont book) lol.

Edited by jks336

Gratuities are a significant amount of what some staff earn.

If you still work for a living, do you ever get a raise? I hope so, and so should the staff on board.

Remember, they are not paid under United States wage and hour laws.

it's $1/day people.....if this is an upsetting thing, I'm sorry for you.....lol

Gratuities are a significant amount of what some staff earn.

If you still work for a living, do you ever get a raise? I hope so, and so should the staff on board.

Remember, they are not paid under United States wage and hour laws.

But no one on this thread was complaining..... smh.

I booked a cruise Friday on board and when i saw this post (as its for Oct 2017) i went and checked my confirmation. My prepaid tips are the same as now. I guess since it's not Sept yet and i prepaid mine, i got the old price. and i checked carnival FAQ page

To the person who said don't sweat about it, its just a buck more. they were not "whining" about it, just wanted to confirm the price increase. Suites are $2.00 more (which i dont book) lol.

If your tips are prepaid, you are grandfathered into the old rate.

I will have 33 days to pay on the Vista (same cabin), and it's only me. I have no problem paying the increase, and will pay them normally on my S&S bill. I prefer not to pay for a service before I receive it, but I understand the reasons for some paying them early.