Holland America Amsterdam Alaska Cruise Questions

rdf145

Hi All!

Firstly I would like to say that from lurking for a few days, I really have never witnessed such helpful, friendly and informative posts on an internet forum. The class and respect people show one another is fantastic.

I did try to look around the Newbie thread and use the search function but I did have a couple of questions about booking excursions through HAL or just doing it on your own when you reach port.

Schedule is as follows: First 3 days on the boat, then Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria before returning to Seattle.

For Juneau I have read that the Mendenhall glacier is a must see, but I wanted to clear up if I need to go through HAL to get shuttle tickets, or if this is something that can be accomplished cheaper on my own. Also want to check out the Alaska Beer Brewery, can I get there easily from the glacier via shuttle or taxi?

For Sitka, the Bear/Birds/Barnacles tour seems awesome and there is another combination of Sea Otter boat ride/Bears but they are very pricy. Can this be planned without booking through HAL or is it exclusive to HAL passengers?

For Ketchikan, we are up in the air if we should try dry suit snorkeling, a nature boat ride/crab feast, or go exploring in Tongass National Forest. This again mostly comes down if we can plan/pay for this on our own and not book through HAL.

It seems like the main question is if it is absolutely necessary to book excursions through HAL or if you can just do it yourself when you reach port. I have only been on one cruise, and that was to the Caribbean where we just disembarked and caught a cab to the closest inclusive beach resort ourselves.

Last question, when is the formal dinner night? I tried looking on the HAL website but I could not find it. Also, am I allowed to pack a Gatorade or two/1.5L water bottle in my luggage that I check with HAL?

And any other tips or suggestions or anything else about Alaska/HAL is always appreciated. It seems that this community is quite knowledgeable so I cant wait to hear what you all have to add.

Welcome to CC!!! You will love it :). There are many people that are on this board that can answer your questions. May I suggest you check out the Alaska forum? There are stickys of Trip Reports you can read to see what others did that may interest you and there are a lot of Alaska experts that can help you with real specifics.

I can tell you I book all of my excursions independently. Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier are very popular in Juneau. There are many independent tours that will shuttle you to both.

Have a great time planning and Happy Cruising!

For Juneau, close to where you leave the ship, will be lots of booths where locals will sell you just about everything HAL offers. There is also a local bus that goes out to the Mendenhall Glacier - we have done that. There are generally locals in all ports near the gangway where you can book tours usually cheaper than HAL. As others have mentioned take a look at the Alaska boards on CC. And the Amsterdam is a great ship - our favorite.

Thank you CStorm/SJSULIBRARIAN! I will go over to the Alaska forum and look around.

As for my HAL specific questions, for a 7 day cruise when is the formal dinner night? Also what is their policy on having a Gatorade bottle or 1.5L water bottle in your luggage?

Thank you CStorm/SJSULIBRARIAN! I will go over to the Alaska forum and look around.

As for my HAL specific questions, for a 7 day cruise when is the formal dinner night? Also what is their policy on having a Gatorade bottle or 1.5L water bottle in your luggage?

Welcome to HAL and CC.

Traveling long distances from your ship, where weather, flat tires, or mishaps may occur that will keep your from getting back to the ship in time, it might be wise to use HAL-booked excursions. HAL ships will not wait for passengers on private tours but will wait for HAL-sponsored excursion passengers. The expense of catching up with your ship after it departs might be more expensive than the few dollars that you might save. Some consider the extra expense as "insurance".

Last year in Juneau both the Westerdam and Zuiderdam left passengers that had taken air transportation to their excursion destinations before the fog rolled in. Those on HAL excursions were placed on chartered boats and planes to catch their ships the next day.

You can bring as much soda and water in your checked luggage as you wish.

Without seeing your itinerary, I can tell you when Formal Nights will NOT be: First or last night, any night in port during evening meal times, or on Le Cirque nights. That should narrow it down pretty close for you to sea days, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan evenings.

Edited by Crew News

I can highly recommend the Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion. I saw humpback and gray whales, otters, harbor seals, sitka deer, a bald eagle on the arm of a handler just 15 feet from my chair, and both black and brown bears at the Fortress of the bears.

P7160047.jpg

P7160031.jpg

P7090171-1.jpg

In Juneau we have done the local Blue Bus out to Mendenhall Glacier a couple of times.

It costs about $10 per person each way -- ticket booth right as you get off the ship. And they drop you off and pick you up close to the Visitor's Center. Many other shuttle buses drop you off at the entrance and you have quite a walk just to get to the Visitor Center where the trails start.

Hi All!

Firstly I would like to say that from lurking for a few days, I really have never witnessed such helpful, friendly and informative posts on an internet forum. The class and respect people show one another is fantastic.

I did try to look around the Newbie thread and use the search function but I did have a couple of questions about booking excursions through HAL or just doing it on your own when you reach port.

Schedule is as follows: First 3 days on the boat, then Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria before returning to Seattle.

Sounds like we are doing the same itinerary. May I ask what date is your cruise? I have not had any response to my roll call! Just thought we may be the same date.

One thing I recommend is research the possibilities for each port well in advance, and decide what you want to do. Have a back-up plan in case the first doesn't work out. That way you won't waste precious time deciding when you get off the ship.

If you want to do a private tour (as opposed to HAL or DIY), then make the arrangements well in advance. Private tours book up.

There are many great things to see and do in each of the Alaska ports, so some things just have to be left for next time. And there WILL be a "next time"! :D

Have a great time in The Great Land.

Thank you every one for your responses!

And glorialagos we are going 7/5-7/12. Have a good trip!

Wow - that is VERY soon!!!! Please make sure to give us a detailed review so I know what to expect!

If you don't have anything planned for Ketchikan, take a look at Ketchikan taxi cab tours. You can google them. They had good reviews so we are going to try a tour with them, hoping to tailor it to our likes and see lots of things. The price is good and it seems to combine a lot of excursions into one. Just an option if you are still looking for something.

Have fun and be sure to let us know how it goes!

We've just returned from back to back cruises with land tour in between. Northbound on Oosterdam & Southbound on Zaandam. In Juneau we decided to do a whale watch tour with Harv & Marv's Outback Alaska. I can recommend them -- we had an excellent time with just 2 other couples on the boat. We saw about a dozen whales including 2 groups bubble net feeding. The shuttle they use also stopped for a very brief photo op at the Mendenhall Glacier. That was ok with us as we have been there before.

On the return to the port area we requested to be let off the shuttle near Tracy's Crab Shack --- a great place for a variety of seafood dishes. We opted for a really excellent crab roll & Alaskan Amber beer.

Btw, I booked the whale watch tour online prior to our cruise. Reviews were good & they responded to my reservation request promptly. :)

I was in Juneau in May on a cruise. We booked a rental car through Avis, a short walk from the pier (picked it up at a hotel, NOT the airport). It cost $60 all in for the whole day.

We drove out to the end of the road, about 30 miles or so away from town, stopped for a little while at The Shrine of St. Therese, walked the labyrinth there and enjoyed the serenity of the place, then drove to Mendenhall Glacier, parked for free in the Visitor's Center, and hung out for awhile (no hiking trails as we have been there before, done that). After that we still had plenty of time to go someplace else before returning the car. $60 for 3 people, so $20 a person for the whole day and multiple places.And we had time to mosey about the town and do a little shopping before getting back on board the ship.