Lobster on Maasdam in New England

Adoremus

I did a Canada New England cruise in May. The lobster was the usual Florida (?) lobster. I'd hate for posters to get the wrong idea about the lobster.

That's really odd. We had Maine Lobster (probably from Nova Scotia, but it's the same species) last March, November, and December in the Caribbean. I'm surprised that they'd serve that.. um... What's a nice way to put it? Earthy, sinewy shellfish on a cruise to New England.

I'm probably going to get kicked out of Florida for saying this, because it's the start of "lobster season" now, but this warm water lobster sucks. ;)

That's really odd. We had Maine Lobster (probably from Nova Scotia, but it's the same species) last March, November, and December in the Caribbean. I'm surprised that they'd serve that.. um... What's a nice way to put it? Earthy, sinewy shellfish on a cruise to New England.

I'm probably going to get kicked out of Florida for saying this, because it's the start of "lobster season" now, but this warm water lobster sucks. ;)

Yeah, the formal night food was not good. I've said it before and got beaten to a pulp about it. The regular nights food was much better. Maybe they weren't from Florida but they sure weren't good quality.

Yum, just finished a nice lobster dinner at home. :) Picked up a couple of female hard-shell 1 1/2 pound live Nova Scotia lobsters at our local Sobey's for $7.99 a pound. Steamed 'em at home, clarified a bit of butter and opened up a nice chilled riesling. Perfect meal before reading this thread.

Caught my attention you said you got the female 1 1/2 pounders. I always ask for males. I don't care for the red eggs though I really like the roe. :)

we were on the Maasdam 5/23 thru 6/6.. Lobster Tails in the MDR at formal nite on both segments.. just order more especially if you don't want the filet.. also the ship had a specialty Lobster Roll buffet one afternoon each way .. all you wanted being served by the staff in the Lido Pool area.. we ate whole Lobster for lunch off the ship in Bar Harbor this time around at Geddy's.. last time it was at Geddy's and Stewman's

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/MaasdamCruiseBostonMay232015/Bar-Harbor-May-24/i-FdXhxT5/0/L/IMG_6750_tn-L.jpg

Does anyone know if you ever get lobster in the MDR on the New England Canada Cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure when you stop in Bar Harbor, you get a Maine lobster at one of the numerous restaurants in town. You can either get a lobster roll where someone else does the work of removing the lobster meat from the shell or a whole lobster where you enjoy ripping it apart. The ship tenders you in to the town. No lobsters come close to freshly harvested Maine lobsters for their sweet succulent taste. It would be nice if the cruise ships brought fresh Maine or Candian lobster while in port but I don't think they do.

we were on the Maasdam 5/23 thru 6/6.. Lobster Tails in the MDR at formal nite on both segments.. just order more especially if you don't want the filet.. also the ship had a specialty Lobster Roll buffet one afternoon each way .. all you wanted being served by the staff in the Lido Pool area.. we ate whole Lobster for lunch off the ship in Bar Harbor this time around at Geddy's.. last time it was at Geddy's and Stewman's

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/MaasdamCruiseBostonMay232015/Bar-Harbor-May-24/i-FdXhxT5/0/L/IMG_6750_tn-L.jpg

I went to geddys based on comments on cruise critic. I had a lobster roll and I think it was $26. I thought it was overpriced.

Yeah, the formal night food was not good. I've said it before and got beaten to a pulp about it. The regular nights food was much better. Maybe they weren't from Florida but they sure weren't good quality.

I'm not questioning your food judgment. DW and I had dinner with you for a week. You like some things we don't, and vice versa. I'm sorry to hear that the formal night menus weren't enjoyable. It's always a bummer when you get all dressed up and the food doesn't rise to the occasion.

I'm not questioning your food judgment. DW and I had dinner with you for a week. You like some things we don't, and vice versa. I'm sorry to hear that the formal night menus weren't enjoyable. It's always a bummer when you get all dressed up and the food doesn't rise to the occasion.

The formal nights were much better on the NA in November and on the Noordam in April. It just seems that hal is cheaping out now or perhaps it was just that cruise. The food seemed better on the first week formal night but I only did one formal night that week. Talking about the NA they didn't even have lobster tails the second week in November. They just had lobster newberg

Caught my attention you said you got the female 1 1/2 pounders. I always ask for males. I don't care for the red eggs though I really like the roe. :)

You'll find that the red eggs are the roe, and we love it! Not quite the same as caviar, mind you, but still delicious in our view. :)

You'll find that the red eggs are the roe, and we love it! Not quite the same as caviar, mind you, but still delicious in our view. :)

Yes, the roe is another name for the eggs, and roe is only found in female lobsters, of course. The roe, like much of the rest of the lobster (and other crustaceans), turns pink or reddish when cooked.

After the female lays the eggs, they are held (externally) by the small legs under the abdomen. In most jurisdictions, a lobster holding external eggs must be marked by cutting a notch in the tail, and must be thrown back. Any lobster with a notched tail (whether showing eggs or not) must be thrown back.

How were the lobster rolls? The ones we had onboard were not very good IMO.

How were the lobster rolls? The ones we had onboard were not very good IMO.

Just from the picture, they had way too much mayo, and what's up with the lettuce? Besides, they are made from frozen tails, so that changes the texture of the meat quite a lot.

Just from the picture, they had way too much mayo, and what's up with the lettuce? Besides, they are made from frozen tails, so that changes the texture of the meat quite a lot.

It's more decorative. We lived on the coast of Maine a long time. A true New England lobster roll is simplicity itself. It also causes a lot of people from away to announce, "What? That's it? I don't understand why people make such a fuss about lobster rolls." :D

[quote name='Fouremco']You'll find that the red eggs are the roe, and we love it! Not quite the same as caviar, mind you, but still delicious in our view. :)[/QUOTE]

[B] You're right........ I meant the green tomalley. :)

I don't like the roe though I do like caviar.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] You're right........ I meant the green tomalley. :)

I don't like the roe though I do like caviar.

[/B][/QUOTE]
I used to do very well at lobster boils, as so many people discard the lobster body and I'd have a side-feast of tomalley and, if lucky, roe.

Unfortunately, Health Canada has put out an advisory and recommends limiting tomalley consumption. Rather than paraphrasing the advisory, I've provided the link below. I now try to refrain from eating more than the recommended amount, although not always with success. :)

[url]http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2014/39847a-eng.php[/url]

[quote name='cruz chic']I went to geddys based on comments on cruise critic. I had a lobster roll and I think it was $26. I thought it was overpriced.[/QUOTE]

[B] I didn't care for the lobster at Geddy's. They are conveniently located and have the web cam on the front of their building but there are some places I like better. :o

[quote name='fsdj1097']We're fresh off Maasdam (6/27) and, IMO, the lobster rolls and seafood chowder in Halifax was hard to beat. Try Salty's, which is walkable from Pier 21. The mussels in PEI were outstanding, too.[/QUOTE]

[B] Salty's is one of the places I like better. :) We had some outstanding lunches on their nice outdoor patio. On a pretty day, it's hard to beat a good seafood lunch, on the patio right on the water. :)

[/B]

[quote name='fsdj1097']We're fresh off Maasdam (6/27) and, IMO, the lobster rolls and seafood chowder in Halifax was hard to beat. Try Salty's, which is walkable from Pier 21. The mussels in PEI were outstanding, too.[/QUOTE]
Salty's was a short walk from the office and a good place to take head office visitors for lunch or dinner.

[quote name='Fouremco']I used to do very well at lobster boils, as so many people discard the lobster body and I'd have a side-feast of tomalley and, if lucky, roe.

Unfortunately, Health Canada has put out an advisory and recommends limiting tomalley consumption. Rather than paraphrasing the advisory, I've provided the link below. I now try to refrain from eating more than the recommended amount, although not always with success. :)

[url]http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2014/39847a-eng.php[/url][/QUOTE]

[B] Yah, I know. Giant ugh but so delicious. :D
Something has to kill me someday so it may as well be tomalley. :)

I also wonder why people don't bother with the bodies particularly of large lobsters. When we have a 2 1/2 pounder there's a ton of delicious, sweet meat in the body. It's easy to get out of a large body.

If I keep up this conversation, I'm going to have to go to the pound and get fresh lobster to steam.

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]
If I keep up this conversation, I'm going to have to go to the pound and get fresh lobster to steam.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Lucky you!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]

[/B][/QUOTE]
Not to rub it in, but I have a couple of extras that I steamed last night to make a salad with for tonight. :)

[quote name='Fouremco']Not to rub it in, but I have a couple of extras that I steamed last night to make a salad with for tonight. :)[/QUOTE]

[B] Okay, that does it. My lobster pound is only 10 minutes away. Fast and easy to get to. :D :D Lobster for dinner tonight. Good thing I hadn't started cooking something else. :)

Enjoy your lobster salad.... don't use too much mayo. ;) :D
I'll have mine on brioche, please.

[/B]