Bringing liquid baby formula + cabin Fridge

LMaxwell

Starting to plan how / what to pack for our infant and the liquid pre-made baby formula we have is ALL in plastic bottles; either 32 oz single bottle, or in little 2 oz/4packs of bottles. The factory seal is pretty conspicuous as in it's not something you could tamper with and re-seal like it came when you bought it.

Is it really going to be a problem to bring baby formula on because of the type of bottle? Do we need to get a doctors note or contact a particular department at Carnival?

Finally - Is there a refrigerator or cool box in Oceanview Cabins on the Victory? If not, is there a department I would contact about this?

Know that the coolers do not go below 40F. Almost best to keep these in an ice bucket.

Thanks for the info. Are the coolers in all the rooms by default or does a special request need to be made before sailing? Even 40 would be okay. He drinks it fast enough that an open bottle won't last days, but I don't want to leave it at room temp if I can avoid it.

Good call on suggesting keeping an ice bucket around too.

The child has to be at least 6 months to sail but I am sure you know this. I doubt the OV have a mini-bar cooler so if you need to use an ice bucket, the steward can bring you a larger beer type bucket that will work better.

I hope you have a great trip.

Since your infant has to be at least 6 months old to sail on Carnival, I'm not sure why you would need the pre-mixed formula? It would make more sense to bring the powdered stuff and mix it as needed.

Our pediatrician gives us tons of the premix stuff. We figure it's good when away from the house or in a pinch. We use powder at home.

If I brought powder it woukd need to be sealed before boarding? I'd just order water from the Fun Ship catalog.

Our baby will be 10 months at time of sailing.

We had an oceanview room on Victory and there was no fridge/cool box. They were very good about keeping the ice full though. Sorry I don't know anything about the liquid formula question.

Great info. Really lol'd at your name [emoji1]

Our pediatrician gives us tons of the premix stuff. We figure it's good when away from the house or in a pinch. We use powder at home.

If I brought powder it woukd need to be sealed before boarding? I'd just order water from the Fun Ship catalog.

Our baby will be 10 months at time of sailing.

Why would it need to be sealed? You said it was powder. Do you use bottled water at home? The ships water is safe for us all to drink, unless you feel the need for bottled ;) Save yourself some hassle and bring the powder. Bring more than you think you need, just in case, since you will likely not be able to find your brand on the ship or port in a pinch.

(Mom of 4)

Why would it need to be sealed? You said it was powder. Do you use bottled water at home? The ships water is safe for us all to drink, unless you feel the need for bottled ;) Save yourself some hassle and bring the powder. Bring more than you think you need, just in case, since you will likely not be able to find your brand on the ship or port in a pinch.

(Mom of 4)

Yeah I drink ship water. I know where the ice comes from. I know all the food is made with it, etc. But having bottled water let's me eliminate any risk of dirty lines or something funky etc. I've never bought a bottle of water on a cruise ship in my life but buying the bottled water from Carnival is very easy.

This is going to be our starter trip as parents. Baby's very first. So I'm just being a bit more anal about the details so there's no surprise or scrambling for something.

As to why would the powder need to be sealed? I guess an over zealous security guy could say no opened food brought on board?? Not sure really.

I'm sure thousands of people cruise every week with kids under 1 and manage. I just need their collective wisdom [emoji1] [emoji1]

I brought an opened can of powdered formula without any issue and just mixed onboard. I would hope security wouldn't give you grief with either premixed or powdered formula seeing your infant with you. I would be throwing a huge fit if they did. I would just bring powdered based on the weight of premixed. No fridges on victory unless they added them during dry dock?

I traveled with my then 9- month old and it was fine. Bring more diapers, wipes and formula then you think you will need!

One more time....the Carnival restrictions for bottles are for "beverages". Why is this seemingly simple concept so hard to grasp. And, those that check you onto your cruise are not simpletons with the IQ of a knat. They are functioning human beings with a degree of common sense.

Yeah I drink ship water. I know where the ice comes from. I know all the food is made with it, etc. But having bottled water let's me eliminate any risk of dirty lines or something funky etc. I've never bought a bottle of water on a cruise ship in my life but buying the bottled water from Carnival is very easy.

This is going to be our starter trip as parents. Baby's very first. So I'm just being a bit more anal about the details so there's no surprise or scrambling for something.

As to why would the powder need to be sealed? I guess an over zealous security guy could say no opened food brought on board?? Not sure really.

I'm sure thousands of people cruise every week with kids under 1 and manage. I just need their collective wisdom [emoji1] [emoji1]

I cruised with Disney when one of my sons was 11 months old. I brought powdered formula on board and bought a case of bottled water to mix his formula. I also brought along a small bottle of dishwashing liquid so that I could wash his bottles/nipples/rings every day. A bit of pain in tight quarters but it worked for us. Luckily by this point in age, he was ok with a room temperature bottle so I didn't have to fret about warming it.

Agree with another poster who suggested to bring more than you think you'll need for diapering supplies.

Enjoy your cruise!

One more time....the Carnival restrictions for bottles are for "beverages". Why is this seemingly simple concept so hard to grasp. And, those that check you onto your cruise are not simpletons with the IQ of a knat. They are functioning human beings with a degree of common sense.

You may have never encountered a power tripping security staffer in life, but I have and so while I'd like to believe they would all be reasonable about liquid formula, that's not a safe assumption.

The liquid formula comes in small bottles that resemble the petite bottles of water and since the title of the thread has liquid in it, it could certainly be considered a beverage.

I'd just want to avoid any potential issues down the road and many people in here have been helpful with their personal experiences and offering some great suggestions and alternatives to make our family experience smooth. Not sure what's with the "one more time...what don't you grasp" schtick.

similac-advance-8pk-3441674-03.jpg

You may have never encountered a power tripping security staffer in life, but I have and so while I'd like to believe they would all be reasonable about liquid formula, that's not a safe assumption.

The liquid formula comes in small bottles that resemble the petite bottles of water and since the title of the thread has liquid in it, it could certainly be considered a beverage.

I'd just want to avoid any potential issues down the road and many people in here have been helpful with their personal experiences and offering some great suggestions and alternatives to make our family experience smooth. Not sure what's with the "one more time...what don't you grasp" schtick.

similac-advance-8pk-3441674-03.jpg

You missed my Vanilla v Carnival thread. Same premise---overzealousness.

From experience I would go for the powder easier to transport and less waste if he does not finish a bottle. Otherwise, I agree with many others, purchase a collapsible cooler and get your steward to bring you ice. Most times you do not have to chill it until after you break the seal. I'm sure you know, make sure you have plenty of wipes and baggies to place the soiled diapers in. Not to many places to get rid of the poopie diapers, so the better you can wrap it up the less you'll smell it. It's also worth it to pack a can of Febreeze so you can keep your cabin air fresh. Have fun....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

We also used the ready to feed premixed bottles with ds when he was 10 months. They come in flats at toys r us. We brought 2 flats and emergency single serve powder packs just in case (I never used the powder because he was fussy, but in an emergency, powder is better than none). We also brought disposable nipples, and just threw away the bottles after feedings.

I didn't trust anyone with the formula, so while I wore ds onto the ship, DH rolled the formula on in the stroller. Rtf is heavy, and we brought 2 or 3 flats with us lol. The moment we got on the ships we took the stroller to our cabin tipped the cabin steward for showing up early to the room, and headed out with baby. (highly recommend a balcony when you have a baby btw.. Bring a cheap baby monitor and you can read on the balcony during naps!)

Also bring bibsters, take and toss cups and silverware, and sticky placemats. I packed one of each into a ziploc, so I just had to grab a bag each time we went to eat.

Flats of rtf bottles

http://t.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4408374&cp=&parentPage=search

Nipples

http://www.amazon.com/Similac-infant-nipples-rings-Standard/dp/B003V9PXE0

Yes, those are the bottles and nips that we have. I like the idea of packing "sets" of dinner time items into a ziplock bag. Grab and go, and good for messy stuff after too.

This thread and being pointed towards the family board have been really helpful. I am sure we will benefit from a lot of the tips.

I would bring premade formula if I was you. If that's what the baby is used to then it'll be easier on the tummy. Plus who wants to try and sterilize bottles the entire trip? I'd carry the formula on. That way you don't have to worry about any questioning and if there are questions you are right there to handle it.

I also didn't know there was a family board! Good to know!

Edited by april1187