Checking in to Southwest Airlines on cruise

MaiTaiMary

You're also paying to check your luggage and for extra leg room if you want it.

Actually I don't. Never paid for a checked bag in my life. I do pay for extra leg room seating (I buy the annual use of it on UA. So I pay just once per year). There is no way I am going to fly for hours with my knees in my chest.

Sure, but if it's the difference between a non-stop flight that's less expensive(WN) and a one stop flight that's more (UA, AA, DL) I'll wait and take my chances on a seat.

It's not always the price, but the schedule as well.

I am still waiting for WN to be cheaper than one of the other "big 3". When I lived in Houston WN was always MORE expensive than UA and I got direct flights on UA and didn't have to connect in some podunk airport. I also like my isle seat with extra legroom. You can have your middle seat in row 32 with your knees in your chest.

Some of us never have to pay to check our bags (if we ever pack that much) on DL because of status or having a DL AMEX card... So, the bag issue is a moot one for me. 9 times out of 10, WN is more expensive that DL where I want to go. Plus, I like to be sure I have aisle seat where my left leg can get "free" of the seat to keep it from locking up on a flight. Can't guarantee me that on on WN unless I am the first person onboard ;)

+1

Only my card is the United Club card. Which gets me United Club access. (and my card is grandfathered at $395 not the current $450 fee and the UC has raised their price to $550 I am saving money :D ) and I buy the annual subscription to the E+ seating.

Edited by TruckerDave

Sure that's great for you. Not everyone has that advantage.

Actually pretty much everybody can. Just get the right credit card and you are good to go. Deciding not to do something and not being able to do something are two different things. AA, UA and DL all offer a credit card that will wave the baggage fee for at least the first bag.

Actually pretty much everybody can. Just get the right credit card and you are good to go. Deciding not to do something and not being able to do something are two different things. AA, UA and DL all offer a credit card that will wave the baggage fee for at least the first bag.

The credit cards which provide free bag check etc, have an annual fee. For non frequent travelers they are not a good chioice.

I was replying to your snarky comment about SWA which for years has provided a good affordable product without annoying upcharges. Guess you missed my point.

Edited by Pudgesmom

The credit cards which provide free bag check etc, have an annual fee. For non frequent travelers they are not a good chioice.

I was replying to your snarky comment about SWA which for years has provided a good affordable product without annoying upcharges. Guess you missed my point.

You are incorrect in the blanket statement that WN provides a good affordable product with out annoying uncharges. In quite a few markets, WN is not the last expensive. There are threads here on CC about how to try to cheat the system by buying one Early Bird (an annoying upcharge :roll eyes: ) so the entire party of 12 can sit together, or how they have to buy the EB because they can't be at the ready at a computer for the magic T-24 window to come...

If you don't want to get a CC that makes your travel easier, you don't have to. But, do not assume they are not a good choice for a non-frequent flyer. I don't fly as much as I used to. I keep my DL AMEX because I can use it to fly around the world. My recurring monthly bills are autopaid to this card. Nice way to collect miles. The WN card is FAR more limiting; I guess if I wanted to fly to Podunk Village, I could use it. But, for Europe or Asia or even Hawaii, it doesn't work...

You are incorrect in the blanket statement that WN provides a good affordable product with out annoying uncharges. In quite a few markets, WN is not the last expensive

I never said they were the least expensive. I said they were affordable.

There are threads here on CC about how to try to cheat the system by buying one Early Bird (an annoying upcharge :roll eyes: ) so the entire party of 12 can sit together, or how they have to buy the EB because they can't be at the ready at a computer for the magic T-24 window to come...

They have a system. If you don't like it, travel on another airline. If you want to check a bag (and in some cases carryon) on any other airline, you will pay. That to me is an annoying upcharge because it cannot be avoided. Paying to be first to get on is not. Sign up early if its that important.

If you don't want to get a CC that makes your travel easier, you don't have to. But, do not assume they are not a good choice for a non-frequent flyer. I don't fly as much as I used to. I keep my DL AMEX because I can use it to fly around the world.

Traveling "around the world" would qualify as quite a bit of travel in my book and would probably take you out of the non-frequent flyer category I suggested would not be well-served by an airline credit card.

The WN card is FAR more limiting; I guess if I wanted to fly to Podunk Village, I could use it. But, for Europe or Asia or even Hawaii, it doesn't work...

I never said they were an international airline. And maybe some people want to fly to "Podunk Village." Southwest provides service to many airports that other, major carriers can't be bothered with.

Edited by Pudgesmom

We have the same situation.do you know if you do the early check in, do you have to print the boarding pass at the kiosk, or do they print it when you check in your luggage , using your confirmation #. Thanks in advance!

I don't know, I would think it depends on the airport, and there would be somebody to ask.

You can check in as early as 24 hours prior, but you don't have to check in that early. We just called Southwest once we got off the ship and checked in over the phone the morning of the flight. You can also just check in once you get to the airport.

I am surprised to hear that. I think they stopped phone check-in several years ago. Or maybe you mean iPhone with Internet access?

I don't think flying once or twice a year domestically or once every two years to Europe, Asia or Hawaii is a frequent flyer, regardless of how one earn the miles :roll eyes:

Baggage fees aren't an annoying upcharge; if you don't want to pay, pack in a carryon. Thousands do that every day for any length of stay...

Southwest's flight numbers begin with WN (in the same way that Delta flights begin with DL). It's called their IATA Code after the International Air Transport Association, an international standards body.

When Southwest first formed, SW was already used by another airline (currently Air Namibia uses SW but I don't know whether they had it then) so they had to choose a different two letter pair. There are many stories about how they ended up with WN ("We're Nuts!" "Why Not?") but the story I believe is that they asked for something beginning with W and the first available pair was WN.

For my peace of mind we always use Early-Bird check in...it just makes the cruise better and less stressful...If this is cost prohibitive, then a friend to check you in....I am assuming you do not have "free" internet time as a frequent cruiser on this line.... Good Luck!

Checking in from the ship shouldn't use more than $5 of internet time. There's no need to print the boarding passes early. They can be printed/reprinted at the airport without any fees (other budget airlines do charge a fee for printing BPs at the airport).