Checking in to Southwest Airlines on cruise

MaiTaiMary

We are flying Southwest airlines and need to check in 24 hours prior to our departure for our boarding order.

For our departure, it won't be a problem. But when we return, we will be on a sea day this day. I wasn't planning on purchasing any kind of internet program.

What have others done who fly Southwest? We are a family of 5, so I really didn't want to have to pay the fees to not have to check in.

Thanks.

We are flying Southwest airlines and need to check in 24 hours prior to our departure for our boarding order.

For our departure, it won't be a problem. But when we return, we will be on a sea day this day. I wasn't planning on purchasing any kind of internet program.

What have others done who fly Southwest? We are a family of 5, so I really didn't want to have to pay the fees to not have to check in.

Thanks.

Bite the bullet and pay by the minute for Internet access for that reason.

Can you ask a friend or a family member to check you in? Our adult children did that, and we printed the boarding passes at the airport when checking in the luggage.

Excellent advice! From experience, trying to do this at sea on the ship's internet system is painfully slow!:eek:

Thanks.

Unless someone at home checks you in or someone onboard has some extra internet minutes for you, your only options are either to pay for early checkin or pay for some internet minutes.

Big difference between MUST check-in 24 hours in advance and WANT to check-in 24 hours in advance. You don't have to, you want to. You're paying cheap to fly on WN, so you have play the game to keep it cheap.

You either 1) get a land-based friend or family member YOU TRUST to get on their computer at T-24hr and check all of you in, or 2)pay for the internet onboard long enough to check all of you in at T-24hr or 3)pay for the Early Bird FOR THE ENTIRE PARTY.

How much is it for a couple minutes of Internet? Probably cheaper than the Early Bird and you don't have to trust that other person to remember to call it in...

I saw a few references to buying Internet access by the minute here. If the OP is sailing on Carnival, that won't work, as they no longer sell access that way - only by the day or for the whole cruise.

My two cents on this dilemma: I always buy Early Bird when I fly Southwest, as much because I want my choice of a decent seat as not wanting to fool around with doing non-vacationy things while I'm on vacation. I take that fee into account when I compare them with other flights.

I saw a few references to buying Internet access by the minute here. If the OP is sailing on Carnival, that won't work, as they no longer sell access that way - only by the day or for the whole cruise.

My two cents on this dilemma: I always buy Early Bird when I fly Southwest, as much because I want my choice of a decent seat as not wanting to fool around with doing non-vacationy things while I'm on vacation. I take that fee into account when I compare them with other flights.

I have not done Carnival, so not knowledgeable on their 'net fees. But, for the OP, who doesn't want to pay for EB for the whole group, surely a 1 day access fee would be less than the EBs...

We were on the Norwegian Escape in March. We flew Southwest. NCL had a deal on the last night of the cruise, internet access for a short time, of like 15 minutes or something, it was like $15 maybe more, but it was worth it for our party of 10. We had a group tickets on Southwest, so one member got the deal and went online and checked us in.

I agree with this and it's what we do. Early bird check in relieves the stress of it not getting done. It helps you to get to the front of the line so you have a better selection of seats. And, on the Boeing 737 I don't like sitting behind the wing. Plus it better guarantees that you all sit together if that is important.

I also factor the cost into the flight cost and then don't worry about it.

Just my nickel's worth

Thanks.

last time we flew SW I think it was $2.50 to use the ship's computer to log in and print off boarding passes. that included lag time and being there a few minutes early to be able to press the button at exactly 24 hours out.

even by the day is probably cheaper. than trying to pay for EB for 5 people.

or make really good friends with someone who has unlimited/ a package and buy them a round of drinks for their password.

that being said I also always spring for EB or Business and get A group. worst I ever got was A30.

The problem with checking-in on the ship is that the internet is not reliable or fast. With Southwest, the delays do to lousy internet might get you a "C" seat. But, you will still be on the flight. If you are really concerned about getting a low letter/number you need to use Early Bird (we always do this on a return flight when on a ship). The idea of getting a friend or relative to do the check-in makes a lot of sense...assuming you know somebody who is very reliable. Once checked-in there is no reason to print out a boarding pass as your letter/number is in the system...and you can simply get your boarding passes at one of the airport kiosks.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Can you ask a friend or a family member to check you in? Our adult children did that, and we printed the boarding passes at the airport when checking in the luggage.

We have the same situation.do you know if you do the early check in, do you have to print the boarding pass at the kiosk, or do they print it when you check in your luggage , using your confirmation #. Thanks in advance!

The joys of flying WN. I don't have this issue on UA,AA or DL....I know what seat I have and what boarding group I am in before hand. :p

+1

Good thing WN, while the #2 airline in my market, is still more expensive than any other airline for where I travel to. Plus, I don't have to deal with Ma and Pa and their 6 children trying to put a guilt trip on me to move seats so they can sit together because they didn't want to pay EB to get everyone on together on the flights to Disneyland or Disney World ;)

Thanks.

You can check in as early as 24 hours prior, but you don't have to check in that early. We just called Southwest once we got off the ship and checked in over the phone the morning of the flight. You can also just check in once you get to the airport.

The joys of flying WN. I don't have this issue on UA,AA or DL....I know what seat I have and what boarding group I am in before hand. :p

Sure, but if it's the difference between a non-stop flight that's less expensive(WN) and a one stop flight that's more (UA, AA, DL) I'll wait and take my chances on a seat.

It's not always the price, but the schedule as well.

You're also paying to check your luggage and for extra leg room if you want it.

Some of us never have to pay to check our bags (if we ever pack that much) on DL because of status or having a DL AMEX card... So, the bag issue is a moot one for me. 9 times out of 10, WN is more expensive that DL where I want to go. Plus, I like to be sure I have aisle seat where my left leg can get "free" of the seat to keep it from locking up on a flight. Can't guarantee me that on on WN unless I am the first person onboard ;)