Top Five Reasons You Love MSC vs. Top Five Reasons You Dislike _____ Cruise Line

TheSoccerCoach

Thought it might be interesting and edifying for this group for people to share their Top Five's.

So, please share the Top Five reasons you love MSC vs. the Top Five reasons why you do not prefer other line(s).

My Top Five for MSC for me would be:

1) The gorgeous ships!

2) The incredible entertainment!

3) The wonderful entertainers, officers, staff and crew!

4) The value received for dollar spent!

5) The pizza, buffet variety, and gelato!

Thought it might be interesting and edifying for this group for people to share their Top Five's.

So, please share the Top Five reasons you love MSC vs. the Top Five reasons why you do not prefer other line(s).

1) The gorgeous ships!

Those are my top 5 but in a different order.

1) The gorgeous ships!

I agree with all of those plus Itineraries.

My family and I like MSC for the good food, great entertainment, interesting itineraries, cleanliness of the ships, efficient friendly staff. Added to this the child prices are great - discounts even up to age 17! My twin grandsons will be on Magnifica next July for just £160 each and they are 13. Some of the ships have Super Family and Super Family Plus cabins which are priced per cabin not per person so are excellent value for families travelling together.

We have already booked a Super Family Plus Cabin for the five of us (3 adjoining cabins) on Seaview in 2018 - we took advantage of a special offer made to past customers and the discounts and perks were too good to turn down!

Cruises from Dubai are really good and with son and family based there we have already sailed on Orchestra from Dubai and will be on Fantasia in December again from Dubai when we look forward to re-visiting some favourite places and being on one of the first sailings to visit Sir Bani Yas Island.

MSC for us gets the thumbs up every time

Suzanne

Edited by suron
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
My family and I like MSC for the good food, great entertainment, interesting itineraries, cleanliness of the ships, efficient friendly staff. Added to this the child prices are great - discounts even up to age 17! My twin grandsons will be on Magnifica next July for just £160 each and they are 13. Some of the ships have Super Family and Super Family Plus cabins which are priced per cabin not per person so are excellent value for families travelling together.

We have already booked a Super Family Plus Cabin for the five of us (3 adjoining cabins) on Seaview in 2018 - we took advantage of a special offer made to past customers and the discounts and perks were too good to turn down!

Cruises from Dubai are really good and with son and family based there we have already sailed on Orchestra from Dubai and will be on Fantasia in December again from Dubai when we look forward to re-visiting some favourite places and being on one of the first sailings to visit Sir Bani Yas Island.

MSC for us gets the thumbs up every time

Suzanne

Mostly agree with the OP on the top 5 for MSC. Perharps I would replace pizzas and buffets for the itineraries themselves once I'm not exactly a pizza or buffet guy!...

Now, forgive me moderators but I want to ask an off topic question to Suron: I will do the UAE cruise from Dubai next February. I will be on a big organized group with almost all included in our package which is very complete, but we will have a full day free in the Dubai just to explore apart from the shore excursion day. The excursion is huge and will go almost on everithing you may think about the Dubai, including an ascent to the Burj Kalifa, the tradtional area, a visit to a mosque, the fountain show, etc... The unique thing we won't do is the very expensive hight tea on the Burj al Arab, that I would like to do. But... Do you think that is worth the money it costs? And what is the dress code to attend (MSC excursions details do not mention it)? Or do you have other suggestions for the day? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Nunagoras

1. When sailing in Europe, you still feel like you are in Europe when on the ship

(not so much on the NCL Epic in the Med., On the ship felt the same as a Caribbean cruise)

2. italian food, especially risotto.

3. affordable drink packages

4. jazz club

5 understated elegance of the ships

I know you said 5 but :

6. got to watch hockey, World Juniors and Spangler Cup.

Only time I've ever seen hockey on a cruise ship. Dh and I and a few Germans were in the sports bar every night watching, we had a blast.

Lois

Ok.....I will play by my rules.....I'm a Rebel.....Literally

Love.....

1. Price....I have kids.....enough said

2. Ships....they are all great

3. Pizza......someone get me a cloth to wipe chin

4. The international Flare of the cruise line

5. Drink Coupons

Don't love

1. All the kids.......(I'M A HYPOCRITE)

2. The Buffet.....ships the size of Divina need 2 buffets

3. Lack of Urinals.....this bothers me

4. How the crew appears to be overworked.....I have a heart.....don't listen to my in-laws

5. On Divina I did not like the pool deck layout.....It's all about me!

Love.....

5. Drink Coupons

Don't love

4. How the crew appears to be overworked.....I have a heart.....don't listen to my in-laws

Definately agree with #3 dislikes.

Love.....

5. Drink Coupons

Don't love

Ok Mr Fan, agree with everything, but can you tell me why men need urinals - I don't know anyone who has these at home. Seriously I'd like to know! :confused::confused: Loving your review on the other thread BTW :)

I'm here looking at the info for MSC cruises. Thanks to all for posting what you have, but I still have some questions.

I've read a few reviews but am uncertain about the atmosphere on the ships so any comments on that would be appreciated.

Best ship in your opinion and why?

Is the entertainment in English?

Are drink prices high? Would a drinks package be best?

Is the gelato included? Yep, really concerned about that one because I love the stuff.

Thanks

Ok Mr Fan, agree with everything, but can you tell me why men need urinals - I don't know anyone who has these at home. Seriously I'd like to know! :confused::confused: Loving your review on the other thread BTW :)

I may have mentioned it before in my other post but I'm from America and change tends to scare me a little bit.

Really a few things

1. Not a fan of bathroom door handles, and the less I touch the better

2. The walls going to the floor of the stalls really made me feel closed in

3. No chance of me pulling on a door that is occupied....that can be ackward....men tend not to lock the door when they pee

4. I like to chat while I go

I'm here looking at the info for MSC cruises. Thanks to all for posting what you have, but I still have some questions.

I've read a few reviews but am uncertain about the atmosphere on the ships so any comments on that would be appreciated.

Best ship in your opinion and why?

I was on Magnifica recently and absolutely loved it! The entertainment team had the Tiger Bar rocking all night.

Is the entertainment in English?

English is widely spoken onboard - the crew use it between themselves as a common language. The shows consist of circus-type acts, musicals and opera. The singers and bands in the lounges play a mix of songs depending on where they're from and what the demographics onboard are. Lots of English stuff, though - great for dancing and singing along to.

Are drink prices high? Would a drinks package be best?

I reckon MSC has the cheapest prices for drinks of all the cruise lines. The all-inclusive drinks package - Allegrissimo - is terrific value @ €26 pppd (I think it's £20 if pre-purchased in the UK) which covers a wide range of drinks from water, wine, draught beer, spirits, cocktails, coffee, hot chocolate, teas, etc.

Is the gelato included? Yep, really concerned about that one because I love the stuff.

Gelato is included in the Allegrissimo package. It is also served as dessert at lunch and dinner in the MDR, though the choice of flavours is limited. There is a great variety at the gelato counters, one of which is stationed next to the buffet entrance.

Thanks

Hope this helps. Anything else.....?

Edited by Beamafar

Ooo thanks for that. I was looking at a cruise in October on the Magnifica so that really helps.

I was checking out the MSC website and noticed that some offered fly/cruise and some didn't. And one I liked didn't offer a flight from a nearby airport. So... is booking online a good idea? Are flight options available further into the booking process? Is calling them better? What about going through a travel agent?

Ooo thanks for that. I was looking at a cruise in October on the Magnifica so that really helps.

I was checking out the MSC website and noticed that some offered fly/cruise and some didn't. And one I liked didn't offer a flight from a nearby airport. So... is booking online a good idea? Are flight options available further into the booking process? Is calling them better? What about going through a travel agent?

MSC does offer fly/cruise for some of their itineraries but you have to book them "as is" - you can't add flights later on in the process - except by booking them yourself. It's unfortunate that they don't have flights from your preferred airport.

There are pros and cons to booking flights separately - you choose your preferred airline, departure airport, flight times and it's usually cheaper. However, should the flight be delayed and you miss the cruise departure time, you have to bear the cost of getting to the next port of call to board. If you book with MSC, transfers to and from the ship to the airport are included. And maybe booking through a TA gives the same piece of mind, though I'm not sure about that one.

Hopefully someone from the UK will advise you better.

I may have mentioned it before in my other post but I'm from America and change tends to scare me a little bit.

Really a few things

1. Not a fan of bathroom door handles, and the less I touch the better

2. The walls going to the floor of the stalls really made me feel closed in

3. No chance of me pulling on a door that is occupied....that can be ackward....men tend not to lock the door when they pee

4. I like to chat while I go

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Most women I know like to go to the ladies in twos, your wife will vouch for that I'm sure, we very much like to chat in the ladies, but we like to pee in the cubicle by ourselves :)

Hi all,

Was hoping for a few more replies.

We have booked our first MSC B2B cruise for 2017.

Have sailed Celebrity, RCI, Princess , Thomson and Island Escape ( ex RCI ship Viking Serenade) .

One thing I was very surprised at is paying for water in the MDR. We are happy with the jugs of ice water supplied at the table on RCI .

It will be a learning curve for us for sure sailing on Splendida :).

Looking forward to a new experience.

I love msc in every way :) infact I am going on the preziosa on the 13 sep and considering to book the meragvilia for next year

the best line so far hopefully service remained the same from our last cruise :)

but here are my top 5 :)

1. cleanliness of the ships.. every ship immaculately clean

2. really nice ships with nice decors

3. love the italian food & gelato

4. variety in the menus not just steaks steaks and more steaks :(

5. good value all inclusive package

Edited by cruisefanatic16

One thing I was very surprised at is paying for water in the MDR. We are happy with the jugs of ice water supplied at the table on RCI .

I prefer that MSC charge for bottled water than price their cruises at RC rates.

Hope you enjoy your first MSC cruise - have you applied to status-match your loyalty level from other lines with the MSC Voyagers' Club?

Been following this thread too, as we too considering MSC for first time...what's up with paying for water in main dining room ?...agree not much action on MSC board:eek:

The majority of MSC's passengers are made up of non-English speaking nationalities - hence fewer participants on this English language forum.