Pepper Grinders Gone.

poncho - thank you for the new hashtag. great title too.

john - thanks for the bella pic. Your friend who loves her pic so much has been quite absent lately. But I see we have a replacement.....

Sorry for the over-sized pic, I thought it was cropped. :o

Troy has mellowed, we lived through Matthew together. :)

I'm a little late to this Peppergate thread.

I am one who also prefers fresh ground pepper and was annoyed that we had to hunt it down on Explorer in September (our headwaiter had his own mill). We were told that Miami had made the decision to eliminate it in the MDR, fleetwide, and that it would be available in the specialty restaurants (which it was).

For those who have never seen them on the table: In the early 2000's every table had a peppermill, and if I so much as touched it, a waiter would magically appear to grind it for me - a very nice touch indeed. In recent years they have offered it with every course. Now they don't, my guess being that they've figured out a way to get rid of another assistant waiter by reducing what they have to do.

We seldom eat in the MDR any more because the food is generally mediocre and the service harried, so in that respect it will have little effect on us going forward. But I am more concerned that RCI is building too many ships on too much borrowed money and they will be paid for by the continuing elimination of little things that are by themselves no big deal but cumulatively make the line less worthy of our consideration. This was another straw on the camel's back for me, but it's not broken just yet.

I will be bringing my own pepper grinder......no joke!!:o

If everyone brings their own, maybe it will send a message??

Yeah right!!:cool:

..............be careful......you may end up in the "naughty room".........:D

......"NO PEPPER , NO PEACE"............:eek:

I will be bringing my own pepper grinder......no joke!!:o

If everyone brings their own, maybe it will send a message??

Yeah right!!:cool:

Maybe it will send the message that they can get rid of dishes, silverware, towels, sheet, and pillows too because RCI's fine customers will just bring their own.;) The only thing of our own that they don't seem to want us to bring is alcohol.:p:D

Count me in as another fresh ground pepper lover. I find the food almost always needs some fresh pepper to improve the taste. I don't care if it isn't on the table but it needs to be available when I ask for it which is twice a night (salad and meal).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe it will send the message that they can get rid of dishes, silverware, towels, sheet, and pillows too because RCI's fine customers will just bring their own.;) The only thing of our own that they don't seem to want us to bring is alcohol.:p:D

......Good one............:):D

Well, I don't mean to open up a can of worms, but you do have a point.

Do I need to bring a can opener to open up said can of worms, Doc??:D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TLT6A/

I have one of these with special peppercorns in it at the house.

As much fun as I've had in this thread, I'm a avid fresh ground pepper fan. I have several grinders AT HOME and I'm always on the lookout for fun/unique peppercorns and mixes.

Pros:

Very small for a pepper grinder, about 5" tall and as thick as a man's thumb

Light as a feather

One hand operation

Does a good job and seems to be holding up ok, I don't use it daily or anything, but it has been in the house for a couple years without issue.

It would fit in your purse or pocket easily

Cons:

Not adjustable, the grind is a bit finer than I prefer... but it's awesome for delicate peppercorns

Doesn't hold a ton... but I use a lot of pepper and believe it would last me a 7-night cruise without issue

I wonder how many folks will get that....

First they came for the chocolates on the pillows, but I said nothing because I don't need pillow chocolates.

Then they came for the always-filled ice buckets, but I said nothing because I have no need for ice at all times.

Then they came for the pepper grinders, but now I am considering going to another cruise line, because I like fresh ground black pepper on my food!! :D

(I've never seen a pepper grinder on the tables in any dining venue any RCI ship I've been on).

Just stay away from my towel animals, ok?

We have had a number of folks saying they bring their own sheets and pillows.