Regal Princess balcony question

DonnaK

I've only been on 2 Princess cruises, both on the Caribbean Princess.

I am looking at a sailing on Regal Princess, and I was wondering if the side facing balconies are staggered like they are on the Caribbean where the lower balconies are longer and are open to the sun (and to the decks above), and as you move further up, the balconies become fully covered and more private.

Edited by DonnaK

I am looking at a sailing on Regal Princess, and I was wondering if the side facing balconies are staggered like they are on the Caribbean where the lower balconies are longer and are open to the sun (and to the decks above), and as you move further up, the balconies become fully covered and more private.

No.They are all pretty much even.

And the balconies on the Royal/Regal are miniscule. :(

No. The new ships do not have a "wedding cake" design with different width layers. All of the side facing balconies sit on top of each other and are of identical width except for the few that are mid-ship that jut out, called "extended balconies" on the website. And in relation to each other, all are identical so that again, there is no "sticking out". Each extended balcony will stick out just as far as the corresponding cabin above and below it. Hopefully this will show what I mean.

8705160063_e49febe50b_c.jpg

Edited by JimmyVWine

Thanks for your quick replies. The photo is very helpful

How miniscule are the balconies? Is there room to sit? Approximately how many feet does it extend out from the balcony door?

Is there any great risk to booking a guarantee?

Edited by DonnaK

Thanks for your quick replies. The photo is very helpful

How miniscule are the balconies? Is there room to sit? Approximately how many feet does it extend out from the balcony door?

Is there any great risk to booking a guarantee?

Just wide enough to sit facing one another, or facing the ocean if your back is up against the back wall and your feet are up against the glass.

1371043363025-RoyalPrincess-288-1306120929_3_4_r383_c0-0-380-510.jpg?50fc00bf5ab7468a0e0d29f64f706e982e0d3912

Edited by JimmyVWine

Just wide enough to sit facing one another, or facing the ocean if your back is up against the back wall and your feet are up against the glass.

Yikes that's tight. We'll be on next week. I knew they were small but that shot puts it in perspective.

Wow you weren't kidding! That is miniscule!

Wondering...

If we want some extra space, will the steward remove the table?

Also, what's funny is on the Princess website they refer to the 'spacious 41 sq ft balcony'!

I've heard that these balconies are either 48 or 40 inches deep, depending upon how you measure the depth.

The 41 sq ft should tell you something. Those balconies are about 10 feet across. Do the math.

Edited by RocketMan275

The balconies on the sides of the Regal are fully covered. If you want larger balconies, they will be midship on both sides and forward and forward facing as well as aft facing. The aft facing balconies are not completely covered however.

The balconies on the sides of the Regal are fully covered. If you want larger balconies, they will be midship on both sides and forward and forward facing as well as aft facing. The aft facing balconies are not completely covered however.

Aft balconies on B and D are mostly covered though. They make a good compromise.

Almost the same and they are not deep.

The are very small and over priced.

I agree. The tiny balconies are overpriced.

We had a balcony on the Lido deck on the Royal and for our cruise on the Regal have chosen a sideways inside, Lido, saving just about 1300.

This will be our first inside.

It is to bad the Royal and Regal do not offer ocean view cabins.

Edited by janetz

1371043363025-RoyalPrincess-288-1306120929_3_4_r383_c0-0-380-510.jpg?50fc00bf5ab7468a0e0d29f64f706e982e0d3912

The first time I saw this photo I thought someone had photo-shopped it and it couldn't be possible to sell anything that small.

Unfortunately it's true & most people don't find out till their first trip.

Can you imaging trying to eat dinner on a balcony of this size? :rolleyes:

Maybe coffee & danish. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Talk about a picture being worth a 1000 words!

What cabin were you in?

This is a photo that has been posted here on CC many times. I don't know exactly what cabin it was, but it doesn't matter. All of the balconies on the ship look like this except the 5% of them that are mid-ship under the bump out and are extended, as well as the few cabins off the stern.

This is a photo that has been posted here on CC many times. I don't know exactly what cabin it was, but it doesn't matter. All of the balconies on the ship look like this except the 5% of them that are mid-ship under the bump out and are extended, as well as the few cabins off the stern.

There are also larger balconies forward on the Lido, Marina and Emerald deck. We loved ours on the Royal. They have a steel rail instead of glass but that didn't bother us a bit. You could still see over the rail.

Cheers, Denise

My understanding is that all of the larger balconies have problems:

1) the forward ones can be locked due to wind or you can be involuntarily bumped from the cabin by VIPs.

2) the aft ones get covered in soot (don't wear white).

3) your privacy in the side cabins is compromised by Seawalk