Amsterdam to Schiphol transfers - HAL or Taxi?

Gene-Jockey

In a separate thread I had asked about potential delays due to canal traffic when docking in Amsterdam. I have been reassured by several that, while there are never any guarantees, long delays are not common.

That said I still may have a tight booking situation if all does not run smoothly. The Koningsdam is scheduled to dock at 6 am and I have a flight back to Canada, via Air Canada, at 11:55 am, but I know Schiphol is a busy airport!

Usually I use the HAL transfers since I like that they handle all the luggage etc. But I know these may not get me to Schiphol the fastest since they have to wait for all passengers etc. This has been zero issue in the past since we always had an abundance of time.

All of that is to ask if taking the HAL transfer to the airport is still a safe bet, or should I consider booking a taxi/limo or similar and take my own luggage off the ship?

If a taxi is the preferred choice, can anyone recommend a good firm that is both reliable and reputable? Where does one normally meet taxis at the Amsterdam cruise terminal? Will we have to haul our baggage long distances from the ship to the taxi stand?

Kind thanks in advance for all advice.

We disembarked Koningsdam in May and used HAL transfers to the airport in Amsterdam. Once we had our luggage we were sent to our bus, which was parked very close to the terminal exit. The bus filled up very quickly, 5-6 minutes tops and we were on our way. It was a non-event trip and we were dropped off right at the doors of the airport and our luggage was off loaded quite quickly.

We had thought about taking a cab originally, but not having any knowledge of Amsterdam, we felt comfortable letting HAL take care of it. Some folks are okay taking cabs in unfamiliar cities and it is probably less expensive than the HAL transfer.

I was just off the Koningsdam last week.

We did the self-disembarkation, so we were gone and in a cab by 730.

The longest part of the luggage haul was within the cruise terminal maze - from the ship to the point where you'd pick up your luggage if HAL were schlepping it for you. That was a good several minute walk.

The taxi stand is located right outside luggage pickup - maybe 20 steps. There were many, many taxis ready for fares.

There is a cruise terminal employee (or some other "official" dude) there managing the taxi stand, so I assume he would prevent getting an unlicensed cab. Still, I ended up with some shady business. Even with no traffic on a Sunday morning, I was paying 65 euros to the airport, which I suspect includes a 10-15 euro long-haul, given that my inbound taxi was just over 50 euros in heavy traffic.

It sounds like you'll have plenty of time, particularly if you take your fate into your own hands with a cab. I was able to arrive at the airport in time to switch to a 1020 flight. It DID take 30 minutes or more to clear passport control / security, so allow for that.

Edited by Big_G_111

Keep in mind that a HAL transfer is going to leave at "x" time. Meet in the showroom, proceed, etc.

Frankly, I'd get off the ship if time is of essence and grab a cab.

Cabs are usually faster and cheaper than HAL transfers IMO.

Thanks to all so far. So, if taxis are plentiful outside the cruise terminal, at least most of the time, is there any advantage in pre-booking one via an online service. I usually like to pre-arrange things like this just so as not to leave anything to chance, and I guess that allows a guaranteed price as well, but is that a necessary step in people's opinions?

We were on the K in Amsterdam and used Connexxion Hotel Shuttle to and from the airport. The shuttle to the ship was easy and event free - just book the location as Movenpik Hotel. After the cruise, we stayed a night and requested another shuttle the next morning from Connexxion. It was not a good experience.

The shuttle was late picking us up at the hotel and then spent over 40 minutes trying to pick up other passengers before heading to the airport. Most frustrating was to spend 35 minutes going around the city to end up right back near our original hotel. One lady got on and was quite upset and mad with the driver over the delay. All this to say that it was an anxious drive for us as we had no idea when we would get to the airport. Everything eventually worked out fine, but I will never use the service again.

There will be lots of taxis outside the terminal.

Thanks to all so far. So, if taxis are plentiful outside the cruise terminal, at least most of the time, is there any advantage in pre-booking one via an online service. I usually like to pre-arrange things like this just so as not to leave anything to chance, and I guess that allows a guaranteed price as well, but is that a necessary step in people's opinions?

I always book in advance for peace of mind. I also find that it is about the same price. We have lots of luggage so we always need a mini-van for the two of us just for ease. I was in Amsterdam and did 2 cruises, Koningsdam followed by RCCL Vision of the Seas. We had to change ports in between. Then we had 12:25 flight to Paris at the end of our second cruise. I booked with Rudy's Taxi Company. I used them from the airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to port, then port to airport. VERY HAPPY AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. Rudy actually was our driver for the final trip and he's a great guy. Anyway, it cost 55 Euros for a car and 67 Euros for a minivan. Standard price from all the different services I checked. You pick up outside the port at the Meeting Place. It's a large white and red checked stand. Any porter will take you there if you plan to use one, or you can "bag drag" easily and ask worker for directions. The car will meet you there at the time you set up. We picked up at 8:30 for a 12:25 flight and were at the airport by around 9:15 or so, so plenty of time. Anyway, here's Rudy's website and email if you want to contact him and he can give you a very good feel for how much time you'll need to get to the airport.

info@rudystaxicompany.nl

http://www.rudystaxicompany.nl

Edited by papaflamingo

In a separate thread I had asked about potential delays due to canal traffic when docking in Amsterdam. I have been reassured by several that, while there are never any guarantees, long delays are not common.

That said I still may have a tight booking situation if all does not run smoothly. The Koningsdam is scheduled to dock at 6 am and I have a flight back to Canada, via Air Canada, at 11:55 am, but I know Schiphol is a busy airport!

Usually I use the HAL transfers since I like that they handle all the luggage etc. But I know these may not get me to Schiphol the fastest since they have to wait for all passengers etc. This has been zero issue in the past since we always had an abundance of time.

All of that is to ask if taking the HAL transfer to the airport is still a safe bet, or should I consider booking a taxi/limo or similar and take my own luggage off the ship?

If a taxi is the preferred choice, can anyone recommend a good firm that is both reliable and reputable? Where does one normally meet taxis at the Amsterdam cruise terminal? Will we have to haul our baggage long distances from the ship to the taxi stand?

Kind thanks in advance for all advice.

Take early self-disembarkation if you are at all able to.

Take a taxi.

If you want to skip the following diatribe, the short version is allow a full 3 hours at the airport.

Schiphol is crowded and, depending on the airline, your lines may be longer than others. I would not book a flight that you could not get to with 3 hours to make it through the maze.

We were business class and use canes, yet the whole process took over 2 hours. Granted we left AMS on August 19, the first day of implementing the new US required security. Prepare for a rather intimate pat-down in public. You will feel violated. Every carry on was opened and searched. Even Heathrow the next day was easier, and that's saying a lot.

We were supposed to check in at one terminal, but they were so backed up we had to walk to another terminal. While we are mobile a mile long walk through a maze of corridors is not easy. The good news, at the end was the walk to our gate was not bad once we got through security. Schiphol used to be a favorite airport, but in light of that experience we are not looking forward to our return next July.

Prepare for a rather intimate pat-down in public. You will feel violated. ...

I can attest to that. I was quite surprised at how close security was standing to me and even more surprised when his hands went under my shirt and inside the waist of my pants and complete a full circle around my waist.

All I could think was what a horrible job to have.

A taxi would be my choice; usually gets you to Schiphol - a really nice airport, btw - in about 30-35 min depending on time of day and traffic. A private car service works also

Train is doable since Amsterdam-Centraal (railway station) is about a 15-20 min walk from the cruise terminal - be aware, a slightly uphill walk past the river boats. Problem with the train is finding a space for your luggage, especially during weekday rush hour traffic - The Schiphol train station is nice, right smack underneath the big arrivals hall