Are smart Chinos OK with jacket on informal night

Delbankin

I know that Cunard have relaxed their dress code and wondered if smart Chinos with smart jacket, shirt and tie are acceptable on informal nights?.

I can't imagine they would stand out as being unsuitable and don't think they would be classed as jeans.

Anyone got any experience of this at all?

I know that Cunard have relaxed their dress code and wondered if smart Chinos with smart jacket, shirt and tie are acceptable on informal nights?.

I can't imagine they would stand out as being unsuitable and don't think they would be classed as jeans.

Perfectly acceptable.

sadly, from my observations on QE last week, you can wear what you like, where you like!

A few people do not take any notice of the evening dress codes, and it would appear the staff take little notice. Jackets were often not worn, and I was I bit surprised to cheese cutters (flat hats) in both the Princess Grill and the theatre on informal nights.

sadly, from my observations on QE last week, you can wear what you like, where you like!

A few people do not take any notice of the evening dress codes, and it would appear the staff take little notice. Jackets were often not worn, and I was I bit surprised to cheese cutters (flat hats) in both the Princess Grill and the theatre on informal nights.

Interesting observation, I thought Cunard strictly enforced their dress codes on all their ships.

That is what I shall wear on QM2 for non formal nights, minus the tie, not real keen on ties. The jacket would be a dark blue (navy) blazer/bermuda jacket.

I would not say that Cunard has relaxed its dress codes in recent times, save for the tie.

The etiquette how and when to wear a hat seem to have disappeared completely. Mind you nobody wears hats anymore but I do get annoyed by men wearing hats (or any head wear) at the dinner table.

In 2008 there was a group of blokes in the dining room who were basically dressed like gangsters. Despite being asked to take their hats off they refused and had dinner like a mob.

When I was a student working as a junior waiter at the London Ritz I still can remember Elton John having dinner with Princess Margaret. He did what he was supposed to do. His straw hat on an empty chair and his (at the time) bald head with long neck mullet on full display. HRH was not very amused that night. and became a bit unnecessary (her usual self)

For the benefit of Yanks (like me) who need an image:

flatcap_1753303a.jpg

To the OP: On an informal night a tie isn't required but no harm in it. I wear a tie about half the time.

That is what I shall wear on QM2 for non formal nights, minus the tie, not real keen on ties. The jacket would be a dark blue (navy) blazer/bermuda jacket.

I would not say that Cunard has relaxed its dress codes in recent times, save for the tie.

Ties have really fallen out of favour in the UK recently. For example, I'm currently working 1 or sometimes 2 days a week in London at the moment in districts with a high concentration of offices and businesses and whilst most men are in suits (at trousers and jackets), hardly any have a tie on. I've not worn one for ages at work now - three piece suit quite often, but no tie.

Interesting observation, I thought Cunard strictly enforced their dress codes on all their ships.

They try to, but I'm afraid you'll always have the occasional Jack the Lads ! or the jacket dodgers who will always get through. ( a bit like those who sneak irons etc onboard when they know they should not do ;)

It doesn't bother me anymore, any guy who has a total disregard for the suggested dress code and their fellow passengers, well, it says a lot more about them than it does of Cunard Line.

At the end of the day (or the evening) the majority of those who travel on Cunard, do so for the formality. It's only a very very small percentage who don't adhere and this is often seen on the fly- cruises out of the Mediterranean.

The etiquette how and when to wear a hat seem to have disappeared completely. Mind you nobody wears hats anymore but I do get annoyed by men wearing hats (or any head wear) at the dinner table.

In 2008 there was a group of blokes in the dining room who were basically dressed like gangsters. Despite being asked to take their hats off they refused and had dinner like a mob.

When I was a student working as a junior waiter at the London Ritz I still can remember Elton John having dinner with Princess Margaret. He did what he was supposed to do. His straw hat on an empty chair and his (at the time) bald head with long neck mullet on full display. HRH was not very amused that night. and became a bit unnecessary (her usual self)

I do wear hats: A Bowler on formal nights/Fedora with suits/Cheese cutter/ball cap(love that name) on informal. The hats are removed upon entering the restaurants, whether on ship or shore.

I'd have no problem with the Bowler or Fedora, but please don't sit next to me at the Bar Top in the Commodore or Chart Room ( pre dinner cocktails) in your cheese cutter . Save it for when you are doing a bit of maintenance work around and about your back yard. ;)

If I could slightly hi-jack the thread, but in my defence it is related.

Would it be acceptable to wear a polo (collared 't-shirt) with a jacket on non formal nights? As per current style/fashion and not scruffy but a smart 'knitted' shirt.

Thanks.

I know that Cunard have relaxed their dress code and wondered if smart Chinos with smart jacket, shirt and tie are acceptable on informal nights?

On my recent TA I would say that less than half the men wore ties on informal nights. I did notice quite a few removed jackets as well!

Was more surprised to see a couple of men wearing turtleneck shirts with an ordinary suit on a formal night, I did wonder if they were entertainers.

Would it be acceptable to wear a polo (collared 't-shirt) with a jacket on non formal nights? As per current style/fashion and not scruffy but a smart 'knitted' shirt.

Thanks.

Yes

Thanks.

No.

It's not just for Yanks - I've no idea what a "cheese cutter" is either !

I've never heard the expression before either. But I was on the same cruise as Adammara and I did see someone in one of the theatre boxes wearing one of those hats on a couple of evenings.

Edited by Ray66

No.

To elaborate a lttle bit on the answer:

Of course the definition of a shirt in the informal Cunard sense does not include T-Shirts, polo shirts, undershirts etc.

Just picture the optional tie to be worn with a polo shirt ;)

Will you be thrown out? Probably not, recently you can see all kinds of inapprobriate pieces of cothing proudly worn. But if you ask for the right thing to do, go with a "real" shirt.

Edited by carlmm

Thank you for your replies.

It just goes to show ask one question and get two different answers.

I have no intention of upsetting people by wearing the wrong thing.

Carlmm, your further explanation is interesting, if a tie is optional then it doesn't have to be worn ergo if the item doesn't have to be worn does the shirt it doesn't have to be worn with have to accommodate that item?

For instance a nehru/mandarin collared shirt is not worn with a tie so is it a shirt by Cunard standard?

I think I will take some polo's which can be worn day or night and see what others are doing so as not to upset/annoy others.

Edited by kayelbee
spelling

... I think I will take some polo's which can be worn day or night and see what others are doing ...
I can see nothing wrong with you wearing a polo shirt under a jacket on an informal night. Nothing at all. esp if all three buttons are done up; it can look very smart if the jacket and polo are well colour co-ordinated.

(However, note my highlighted italics... on one QM2 cruise a few years back a guy was simply carrying his jacket from bar to dining room to bar on informal evenings; not once did I see him put it on. He was wearing short-sleeved polo shirts, and I presume thought he'd found a clever way of ignoring the dress-code ;) ! Not that I am for one moment suggesting this was at the back of your question).

So yes, is my answer, have a great time on board :)

Edited by pepperrn

I do wear hats: A Bowler on formal nights/Fedora with suits/Cheese cutter/ball cap(love that name) on informal. The hats are removed upon entering the restaurants, whether on ship or shore.
Surely you mean removed immediately you step indoors from the promenade or outside deck?

That "cheese cutter" in the above photo looks similar to a "flat cap" as many of us would say in the UK. Very popular with all ages from Victorian times until the 60s... fell from favour, but is now often seen, esp on young people (which is probably why I don't own one! :D )

(I saw one guy many cruises ago wearing full "white tie and tails" on formal nights. Including silver-topped cane, white gloves, scarlet silk-lined cape and very shiny top hat.

Sadly, because of his age, tall thin frame and receding hairline he looked less like a bad magician... and more like Bela Lugosi in an Ed Wood "masterpiece" :D .

Had he ditched the cape, cane, and most esp the hat, while indoors, he would have looked very smart... )

Best wishes :)

I can see nothing wrong with you wearing a polo shirt under a jacket on an informal night. Nothing at all. esp if all three buttons are done up; it can look very smart if the jacket and polo are well colour co-ordinated.

(However, note my highlighted italics... on one QM2 cruise a few years back a guy was simply carrying his jacket from bar to dining room to bar on informal evenings; not once did I see him put it on. He was wearing short-sleeved polo shirts, and I presume thought he'd found a clever way of ignoring the dress-code ;) ! Not that I am for one moment suggesting this was at the back of your question).

So yes, is my answer, have a great time on board :)

Only this summer I witnessed a man in polo shirt without jacket being challenged in the Queens Grill restaurant at dinner. How he got to his table without censure l am not certain but the Senior Maître D' dealt with him thereafter and requested his compliance with the dress code. Mr. Polo then left his chair swiftly and stormed by grumbling under his breath but was soon back wearing an appropriate jacket to continue his dinner.

I take from that incident that jacket is essential and polo shirt under jacket is tolerated. For what it is worth, I do not wear a polo shirt under my jacket to dinner but opt for a more traditional shirt with collar and cuffs.

M-AR

Edited by Mid-Atlantic Ridge

" ... For what it is worth, I do not wear a polo shirt under my jacket to dinner but opt for a more traditional shirt with collar and cuffs." M-AR

As do I. Almost always with a tie (I feel much more comfortable with a tie when wearing a jacket).

Edited by pepperrn

That "cheese cutter" in the above photo looks similar to a "flat cap" as many of us would say in the UK. Very popular with all ages from Victorian times until the 60s... fell from favour, but is now often seen, esp on young people (which is probably why I don't own one! :D )

One should always sport a flat cap whilst taking one's whippet for a late evening stroll around the promenade deck !