water levels in France

Lolotte

We are doing Viking's "Portraits of Southern France" next week. The couple we are traveling with called Viking yesterday and asked about the water levels and if there was any impact on the cruise. She was told "no issues.....you should be fine". Of course, anything could happen within the next week, but that's doubtful.

We are doing Viking's "Portraits of Southern France" next week. The couple we are traveling with called Viking yesterday and asked about the water levels and if there was any impact on the cruise. She was told "no issues.....you should be fine". Of course, anything could happen within the next week, but that's doubtful.

And Viking is not know for it's honesty with passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

It was WONDERFUL!!!! We were on the "Viking Hiemdal". It's a newer ship and really lovely. 42" flat screen TV in the cabin, standard MSNBC/BBC/a sports channel/CBS News, a few recorded TV shows, a comp movie channel, a fridge, down pillows and conformer. Hair dryer, quality bath amenities, heated bathroom floor. Automatic night light in the bathroom, closet lighting that comes on/off when opening/closing doors, in room safe. Maybe just a tad smaller then an "ocean liner" cabin, but higher quality fit and finish. Dining was quite good! Caquilles St Jaques, frogs legs, filet mignon, mimosas with breakfast and your wine glass is NEVER empty until you say "no thank you". Outstanding staff and service. Good and very well organized tours, good guides, ample time to see and explore and "free time". Very good and knowledgeable concierge service. ONe day we did and "adventure" on our own to Grenoble one day which was totally smooth and seamless thanks to the assistance of the ship's concierge. We were on the Rhone and Saone rivers. No issues with water levels. This is not Paris but I was surprised that folks (not on our cruise) were as casually dressed as they were. Shorts, T-shirts and flip flops on just about everyone whilst we were wondering around the towns. The French are usually quite stylishly dressed at all times. Maybe because they were "all on vacation"...as it is August. The majority of the folks on our cruise wore shorts during the day (it was hot!) No dressing up in the evenings. I think I saw one or two sport coats, no ties, on men and nice outfits, but not "dressy" on the women. We thoroughly enjoyed it adn would highly recommend it!

Here's a website that tracks ship activity at each of the locks from Lyon to the Med:

https://www.inforhone.fr/inforhone/en/commun/message.aspx?libchapitre=naviguer

It has been showing predictable movement through all the locks in the last few days [which is all I've been watching]. I've been tracking our ship, AmaDagio, for our upcoming cruise -- and it has been on schedule.

After you accept their terms, click on "Traffic at locks" and then on the lock where you expect your ship to have been recently -- a window will soon populate with the names of all the ships reported at that lock, click on the ship you are following to learn when it reported its position there.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Any problem there ? Leaving in 2 weeks !
The levels on Rhone and Saone were generally fairly low in early August.

Low water levels should not be a problem since river-only boats draw about 6 feet, whereas barges that come from the Mediterranean draw 15 feet.

waterlevel.jpg.75d40665dcf208b37d887e0f2e9733d9.jpg

Edited by sengsational

My observation is that there would be a problem if the water levels were too high. On our boat they had to fold down the side rails, remove the furniture and awnings from the top deck, contract the wheel house and we still cleared some of the bridges with only a few inches to spare.

My observation is that there would be a problem if the water levels were too high. On our boat they had to fold down the side rails, remove the furniture and awnings from the top deck, contract the wheel house and we still cleared some of the bridges with only a few inches to spare.
Agreed, based on my recent experience. It would seem to me that if the rivers weren't low, there would have been a problem getting under a few of those bridges. We went under a bridge once when I was on the front of the ship (deck 2 of 3). Deck 4 (the top 'sun deck') had been 'flattened' as you mentioned. But as I looked-up about 10 feet to the bottom of the flattened deck, it didn't look like more than a few inches of clearance. The ship's ballast tanks were light, though, so they could have added ballast and gone down about a foot (max), if they needed to. But based on the river height indicators (see picture attached earlier in the thread), it looks like the river often rises much more than a foot. I think 3 deck ships are great for utilization, but might be problematic if the rivers are not low. Luckily they were low when we were there.

It was WONDERFUL!!!! We were on the "Viking Hiemdal". It's a newer ship and really lovely. 42" flat screen TV in the cabin, standard MSNBC/BBC/a sports channel/CBS News, a few recorded TV shows, a comp movie channel, a fridge, down pillows and conformer. Hair dryer, quality bath amenities, heated bathroom floor. Automatic night light in the bathroom, closet lighting that comes on/off when opening/closing doors, in room safe. Maybe just a tad smaller then an "ocean liner" cabin, but higher quality fit and finish. Dining was quite good! Caquilles St Jaques, frogs legs, filet mignon, mimosas with breakfast and your wine glass is NEVER empty until you say "no thank you". Outstanding staff and service. Good and very well organized tours, good guides, ample time to see and explore and "free time". Very good and knowledgeable concierge service. ONe day we did and "adventure" on our own to Grenoble one day which was totally smooth and seamless thanks to the assistance of the ship's concierge. We were on the Rhone and Saone rivers. No issues with water levels. This is not Paris but I was surprised that folks (not on our cruise) were as casually dressed as they were. Shorts, T-shirts and flip flops on just about everyone whilst we were wondering around the towns. The French are usually quite stylishly dressed at all times. Maybe because they were "all on vacation"...as it is August. The majority of the folks on our cruise wore shorts during the day (it was hot!) No dressing up in the evenings. I think I saw one or two sport coats, no ties, on men and nice outfits, but not "dressy" on the women. We thoroughly enjoyed it adn would highly recommend it!

Thanks for your summary of your cruise. We are on the same ship in 8 weeks and are looking forward to our few days in Paris before we embark.