Darling, what are you wearing?

MinxInWA

Hello darlings, Just received my cruise package materials, and having been on other lines, but not Oceania, I read them carefully. What's this tidbit about "no sandals in restaurants"? I assume they refer to less than charming athletic type sandals, or flip flops things. But I fully intend to wear my ladylike Naturalizers :D I can't see packing closed toe heels for a summer cruise.

What's the general dress for dinner? I'm packing one lacy dress, but mostly will wear a skirt with twinset combo. This is the first time I feel like hubby might be dressed more "appropriately" than myself! Horror. ;p He's getting trussed up in a sport coat and slacks, but will probably fight me if I try to add a necktie.

Sooo...let me know if the sight of my polished toenails is going to give anyone apoplexy...:evilsmile:

We have been on 4 Oceania cruises and I have always worn sandals to dinner -- not flip flops -- so you will be okay. Some people really dress up, but the majority dress "country club casual". Your outfits will do just fine and your husband doesn't need a tie. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Both of you will be fine with what you proposed.

Long, very long, threads on appropriate dress on Oceania can be found with a simple search.

Specifically, what do you wish the know:

1. The country club casual attire worn by the vast majority , or;

2. The bare minimum standards you can wear without being denied entry into the GDR or Specialties?

Two different questions with two greatly different answers.

Thank you dear,

Yes, I noted the other posts about dress, but simply no one addressed the SHOE question :) I'm old enough to know not to parade my bum in shorts to a nice dinner, ha. ;)

Both of you will be fine with what you proposed.

Long, very long, threads on appropriate dress on Oceania can be found with a simple search.

Specifically, what do you wish the know:

1. The country club casual attire worn by the vast majority , or;

2. The bare minimum standards you can wear without being denied entry into the GDR or Specialties?

Two different questions with two greatly different answers.

Thank you love! I know I was being a bit worried over nothing, but better to ask before packing ;)

We have been on 4 Oceania cruises and I have always worn sandals to dinner -- not flip flops -- so you will be okay. Some people really dress up, but the majority dress "country club casual". Your outfits will do just fine and your husband doesn't need a tie. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Good news for hubby - no need to "get trussed up in a sport coat" unless he wants to. The majority of men do not wear sport coats or suits (some wear a jacket - mostly in the specialties - but none are required).

Thank you dear,

Yes, I noted the other posts about dress, but simply no one addressed the SHOE question :) I'm old enough to know not to parade my bum in shorts to a nice dinner, ha. ;)

The shoe question has been addressed ad nauseum. A nice dressy sandal is acceptable, no flips or sneakers.

Dear MinxinWA,I

If your husband wears a nice sports jacket, nice slacks and a tie, be prepared to have other women "check him out". It has happened to me on "O" and I am not that good looking. Many of these other women may be thinking, "I wish my man would dress up like that for me". PS - the waitresses notice too.

Dear MinxinWA,I

If your husband wears a nice sports jacket, nice slacks and a tie, be prepared to have other women "check him out". It has happened to me on "O" and I am not that good looking. Many of these other women may be thinking, "I wish my man would dress up like that for me". PS - the waitresses notice too.

Or maybe they were thinking that poor guy

His wife made him wear a jacket & tie when no one else does :halo:

Or maybe they were thinking that poor guy

His wife made him wear a jacket & tie when no one else does :halo:

Amen!

Of course, there are a few O guys who willingly wear sports jackets at dinner and you'll even see a tie here and there. Suits are few and far between. After all, it's "country club CASUAL."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

o

I am with UDSpud......my husband usually wears a suit or a separate combo with a tie for dinner. I do not make him. I do not offer any suggestions of what he wears. It is really true......many women "check him out" and they give him many compliments.

o

Fortunately Oceania is not a private boys' school with uniforms - we each can wear what we prefer within the acceptable guidelines.

Isn't that great! It's one of the main reasons we like Oceania (among many others).

I recently cruised on QM2 (and Seabourn) where I was required to wear suits and it made for an extra clothing bag that I had to travel with to Australia and then drag on the rest of my trip - will not do that again.

To each their own.

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks one and all for the responses...I seem to have hit a few nerves though. My guffaws over the sport coat replies were enough to attract aforementioned hubby, and he wants it noted that he has no problem with being the object of cougarish looks.:')

So if you see a couple on Regatta who look like J Peterman and Elaine... give us a hearty howdy-do...:p

I know it doesn't SAY this, but I have thought the No Sandals rule is for gentlemen and not ladies.

Painted toenails, pretty sandals, every lady wears them. Don't they? J :confused::confused::confused:

I think the general rule of thumb for "sandals" is something you would wear on the sand/beach is probably not OK, flip flops, slides, fisherman sandals etc. Dressier open toe sandals with heals etc are fine. My wife bought a few pairs just for the trip (MK and RL).

As for the rest of the dress code, I think you'll be fine with anything you would wear to a nice restaurant with entrees in the $30-$60 range. Personally I am planning to pack a couple sports coats/blazers because that's what I wear to nice restaurants when we have dinner dates and cocktails here. No ties, just a few pocket squares. Just wear what you are comfortable wearing imo, I've never felt uncomfortable dressing up or being around folks who dress it down, most places in the DC metro have a wide range of dress attire which makes it interesting!

I am UDSpud and I admit I, on occasion, "Tie one on", but do not feel TIe d down by my wife. It is more of a tie for two situation. (Also I have seen women (ladies) wear a tie, or very tie like scarf to dinner.

Surely it's all about style and the way you wear it !

, on occasion I wore a tie , a jacket , a shirt and cuff links , a short sleeve shirt , trousers , coloured chinos (green ones , pink ones , blue ones ) and vibrant socks , and shoes lol

My wife just looked the nuts , and often in stuff she made herself

We just returned from a very nice cruise on the Riviera. The one and only complaint we had was that people were ignoring the dress code in the Grand Dining Room for dinner. Many men wore jeans which were definitely not designer and women also seemed to dress down, more so than our other 2 cruises on Riviera and another on Regent. One evening in particular, and not the last night, if you had to guess where you were by what people were wearing, you might think you were on one of the "fun ships"!

We are not formal people at all, and in fact my husband didn't even pack a coat or tie. But if we didn't feel like "dressing" for dinner, we went to the Terrace.

I hope that in the future Oceania will once again enforce their "country club casual" dress code.

We just returned from a very nice cruise on the Riviera. The one and only complaint we had was that people were ignoring the dress code in the Grand Dining Room for dinner. Many men wore jeans which were definitely not designer and women also seemed to dress down, more so than our other 2 cruises on Riviera and another on Regent. One evening in particular, and not the last night, if you had to guess where you were by what people were wearing, you might think you were on one of the "fun ships"!

We are not formal people at all, and in fact my husband didn't even pack a coat or tie. But if we didn't feel like "dressing" for dinner, we went to the Terrace.

I hope that in the future Oceania will once again enforce their "country club casual" dress code.

Lately, on Med area O short cruises, there have been a lot of college alumni groups (filled with O first timers). Had some on our recent Riviera cruise, including a guy who wore a baseball cap to dinner in the Terrace Grill. His wife looked around, said a few words to him. Hat came off- never to be seen at dinner again (the hat).

hope you made mention in the final cruise comments

Surely people could wear something other than jeans to dinner

I live in my jeans but do make the effort when we are on a cruise to leave them in the cabin

JMO

Lately, on Med area O short cruises, there have been a lot of college alumni groups (filled with O first timers). Had some on our recent Riviera cruise, including a guy who wore a baseball cap to dinner in the Terrace Grill. His wife looked around, said a few words to him. Hat came off- never to be seen at dinner again (the hat).

I think this partly - but not entirely - can be explained by the changing demographics on Oceania. There are many first time O cruisers that come from mass market lines where this dress code is acceptable. Not all are members of CC where this topic is discussed and thus they may not be as aware of the dress code on O as those that post here.

JMO.