Schedules?

DougK

I am new to river cruising, and trying to decide on both line and itinerary. I think I'm probably going to go for a Rhine/Danube cruise, and am comparing itineraries from several lines--most likely Scenic, Emerald, or AMA. Having come from the ocean cruise world, one thing I find very puzzling is the lack of specificity in itineraries. Every ocean cruise I've been on has had specific times listed for arrival and departure in each port. Of course, there have been occasions when that has needed to change on the fly, due to weather, sea conditions, or other unforeseen occurrences. But at least going in, I've had a pretty good idea about what to expect for timing. When researching river cruises, however, I'm not finding anything of the sort. Instead, the itineraries just list a town for each day, with no indication of timing except for a couple of mentions of morning or afternoon cruising in presumably the most scenic sections (e.g., Rhine Gorge). Beyond that, I can't even figure out whether much of the cruising will actually take place when I'm awake. Am I missing something here? Is the actual schedule so variable that they can't plan in advance? Or is it the reverse, that I should assume I'm in ports every day from daybreak until late at night? Or is it just part of the river cruising vibe that I shouldn't concern myself with such details?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Most river cruising seems to be at night while you are sleeping and you are ready to go ashore after breakfast. Depending on the itinerary, some cities are very close as well. A night arrival to Budapest is not to be missed and I would hope the cruise director would tell everyone if this was going to happen on your Danube trip (if you choose that one). If you cruise during the day on the Rhine you look at the castles, vineyards and pretty towns. Unless you are making your own arrangements for tours dont worry about what time you get to each destination, your on vacation, does it really matter if its 8am or 9am. Most river companies have had the same schedules for many trips and unless for the possible high/low water, broken locks or strikes they will get you to each destination on time to have fun.

On Emerald, the night before there is meeting describing the next days activities as well as the arrival and departure times. In addition, there is a printed itinerary put in each cabin providing the next day's details. We were on the Danube from Nurenburg to Budapest and did some cruising in the day, but more at night.

Hey Doug,

The schedules are uncertain because there is so much traffic on the rivers.

Unlike ocean vessels, river boats can't contract for a particular berth.

Just go with it. You'll like it (maybe).

Have a nice voyage.

Ira

You are right about the lack of specifics in brochures and on the internet, but before you book you do get an info packet that describes the itinerary in a bit more detail. However, some cruise lines are more specific than others. I know of a German one that lists departures in the brochures as 8m and 4pm for example, so quite detailed. What you can expect is the company to have chosen the best times for excursions on shore and the most scenic stretches on the river for daytime sailing. AS I r a has mentioned the port times and docking locations can vary.

The day on a river cruise works roughly like this: excursion after breakfast, back for lunch on the ship, lunch sailing, afternoon excursion or afternoon sailing, evening excursion or sailing during dinner and night. Or similar on other days. The daily info sheets help with knowing what to expect the next day.

Perhaps put the info in the day-to-day that is published online on a spreadsheet. then you can see where the companies vary. I trust you will find that they arevery similar in what they offer.

If you have further questions for specific ports do not hesitate to ask in river cruise ports section here on CC. Have you had a look around. Lots of info.

Oh, for a first time cruiser, the stickies at the top of the page are a great help. Both the Rhine and the Danube are very good rivers for those new to river cruising with the Rhine sligthly favoured as a first cruise (merely statistics here).

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

I can only say from a Scenic point of view, you have port talk before dinner usually given by the cruise director with more specific information. Reception has maps of each port and an information sheet all ready for you to pick up for yourself, I have loads of them. Some cruises on the shorter routes don't do any night cruising or very little. They do have to make some itinerary changes occasionally as they did this year on our Bordeaux cruise and that was because of the full moon would you believe but we still did the full itinerary but in a different order. I am a planner to the nth degree and have my little black or pink notebook to hand at all times and can honestly say that we have never missed any part of any itinerary regardless of what has been thrown at the crew.

Happy planning CA

I can only say from a Scenic point of view, you have port talk before dinner usually given by the cruise director with more specific information. Reception has maps of each port and an information sheet all ready for you to pick up for yourself, I have loads of them. Some cruises on the shorter routes don't do any night cruising or very little. They do have to make some itinerary changes occasionally as they did this year on our Bordeaux cruise and that was because of the full moon would you believe but we still did the full itinerary but in a different order. I am a planner to the nth degree and have my little black or pink notebook to hand at all times and can honestly say that we have never missed any part of any itinerary regardless of what has been thrown at the crew.

Happy planning CA

Bordeaux cruises in the Gironde Estuary, and the Dordogne and Garonne Rivers are affected by the tides and itineraries often must change with the level of the tide. That is why a change was made because of a full moon.

I believe if you look closely on the websites they do give more detailed daily itineraries under a different tab. The main differences will be in the port stops and included excursions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For Uniworld if you click on Already Booked and look at the Cruise Companions, these guides list a lot of information on any tour. It will tell you the approximate duration of the tour in 1/4 day increments, whether it entails a bus ride and how difficult the tour is. There is a lot more information available in this booklet, which is sent to you with your travel documents but which you can view online.