I caught the River Cruise "bug"

coloradonative4life

wandb, I post all of my trip reports right here on the river cruising forum. My most recent one for the Rhone cruise is on here somewhere; probably a few pages back now as it's an old thread. Here is a direct link but the links are also in my signature.

Edited by jpalbny

wandb, I post all of my trip reports right here on the river cruising forum. My most recent one for the Rhone cruise is on here somewhere; probably a few pages back now as it's an old thread. Here is a direct link but the links are also in my signature.

I look forward to reading it. I will be taking my first river cruise in Sept. (Danube on the Crystal Mozart) and enjoyed your previous two river cruise reports and photos so much, I'm eager to get a sneak peak at what to expect...

Anne..

Thanks for the link! (I have all signatures hidden, so sometimes forget that that is where I can find links to reviews, etc.)

Just finished reading through your review. Fantastic, as usual! Makes me want to sign up for that cruise immediately!

Glad I could tempt you! We had a great time on the Rhône, and we wish we'd had more time to visit all the places we missed. So much to see, and many hard choices. Well worth another visit some day - but first, the Danube!

I agree about the Rhone being a great river cruise. We usually try to steer first-time river cruisers toward either the Rhine or the middle Danube as being good samplers for a first cruise, but we enjoyed the Rhone even more because it gave an in-depth experience in France [great food, great wine, lots of Van Gogh -- plus tons of Roman ruins that I didn't even expect!]

• 3 weeks later...
Howdy, and yes like the rest of you we as well have caught that very contagious River Cruisin Bug.

So stress free and so so much more intimate than that of Ocean Cruising.

We did our first last year with Scenic a company out of Australia and just had such a Great and Wonderful time. Our Cruise was The Jewels of Europe from Amsterdam to Budapest and we spent three days in both and enjoyed to the Fullest.

Scenic was an ALL Inclusive and didn't Nickle and Dime you to death as in the case with Viking.

From Limos picking us up at The Airport and taking us to our hotels and taking us to the ship, to Private Butlers , to all excursions, to never having your glass go empty, to swimming pools on the new ships Jasper ,Opal,and Amber ours was the Jasper to having the largest current cabins on The Rivers at 475 SQ. Ft in The Royal Panorama Suites and also having there Electric Bicycles, and also what is called Tailor made GPS systems. All Just top notch from start to finish. Also nice was having about 100 Australians and 40 ish Canadians and the rest a mixture. Those Australians just know a secret and that is in how to enjoy Life to the fullest. So much FUN.

All I can say is that I am sure that all the various different cruise lines have there good points and there bad points and I'm sure that depending on whom you may talk with that they have there favorite for us Scenic as they could only do EXCELLENT.

Yes we have already Pre Booked for another unfortunately not until September of 2017 as we shall be spending April and May in Hawaii. Is called Spectacular South of France with Paris and Nice. Ahh I can certainly Taste Those Wines Now..

Hoping and Wishing For All Smooth Sailings and Most importantly is

All For Fun and Fun For All. ENJOY!!

Loungin" Laughin" Lovin" n Libations"

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

I just today booked a Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest 15 days. I have compared all the other lines and Scenic has the best prices for what you get, even hard liquor 24/7, there is nothing you have to pay for, some of the river cruises charge gratuties, not this one and we also got free air from Victoria, B.C. to Amsterdam. We will not be going until May/2017, so long time from now. I also just found out that we also get 1 kilo of laundry half way through the cruise, unheard of elsewhere, along with the free hard liquor not just beer & wine with lunch & dinner. When I priced this cruise Viking was $1,00.00 more and no free air. You really have to check into each and every one. Would love to hear where you stayed and how much the hotels were, have heard it is expensive in Europe, thanks.

Marlster

Marlster

In Amsterdam we stayed at the Toren Hotel and in Budapest we stayed at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace Hotel. Both rated number 1 by TripAdvisor.

With Scenic they place you in Amsterdam at the Double Tree and in Budapest the Marriott. Both for us was like staying in an Americanized hotel and qe wanted to experience the European Botique experience and then the most Luxurious hotel in all of Europe and Fourth in the World. Both were what I would say were FANTASTIC.

In Amsterdam we used Toms Travels for private tours and was absolutely wonderful. Not only rated as one of the best tour guides but is rated as one of the Best Travel photographers in Europe, so as you are either walking or riding he is taking photos of you.

We went one evening and took an evening dinner cruise with Jewel and also an Indonesian Rice Table at Tempoe Doeloe. For the last 22 years booked solid every single night.

In Budapest we had Tom Zelenyanszky, he does all the private tours for the Movie Stars that stay at the Four Seasons and I can see why. tom.budapestguide@hotmail.com

The one thing that if anything would be to go to and make reservations at the Fisherman's Bastion. I also made arrangements for a Horse and Carriage to take us and bring us back.

What ship are you cruising on? We were to be on the Opal but because of Low Water Levels we cruised on the Jasper.

We were in a Royal Panorama Suite all the way in the back of the ship but oh my gosh what a magnificent view. With the evening spent in Amsterdam and Vienna and Budapest. Wow

Yes we have gotten hooked as we shall be cruising also in 2017 and 18 both with Scenic.

One called the Spectacular South of France with Paris and we are adding Nice and Monte Carlo and then on the New Eclipse for Cuba in Depth October of 2018. This year we are getting ready to leave for Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii as we are in the process of looking and fact finding as to possibly relocate.

Wishing you All The Very Best and if I may say so you have done your homework as Scenic beats Viking any day of the week hands down.

How Viking stays in business is beyond me. Nickle and Dimming there customers.

I would take Scenic over Uniworld or Tauck.

Wishing you Smooth Sailings

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Wow, all your advice was great!! My mom and I got suckered into the "Cities of Light" on Viking because we got the full 12 days for 2300!!! What?!? Couldn't pass that up. If anyone has advice on Paris or Prague or anything I between, let me know. What is in store for 2017... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Fascinating to read this thread and I noticed the mention of keen walkers.

We've looked at river cruises but hesitated, because when I looked at the itineraries, they seemed to have a fairly short time in port, then you'd be back on the boat again early, and spend the afternoon cruising down the river.

I asked someone about this and they said the river boats used to operate like the ocean cruise ships - travelling overnight then having the whole day at each port - but passengers complained they missed out on all the scenery, so the river cruises started to do more of their travelling in daylight so passengers could watch the scenery go by.

I get a bit bored on "at sea" days when I'm on a big cruise liner with a walking track, a gym, a cinema and dancing - so I can't imagine what I'd be like on a river boat from 3 in the afternoon!

Do any of the river cruise lines still have long days in port?

I get a bit bored on "at sea" days when I'm on a big cruise liner with a walking track, a gym, a cinema and dancing - so I can't imagine what I'd be like on a river boat from 3 in the afternoon!

Do any of the river cruise lines still have long days in port?

I am very type A, and do not do well just sitting and relaxing. I will take a beach vacation if that is my primary goal for a trip.

I suggest you take a close look at itineraries as there are big differences between both lines and itineraries.

We prefer to maximize our time in port and look for that, as well as overnight stays. Our Tulip Time cruise with AMA was heavy on port time, as was our AMA Rhone cruise. Both also had a good number of overnight stays.

We also are very partial to theme cruises. Wine theme cruises on AMA have events while sailing that we enjoy, and Christmas market cruises can be busy as well.

All that said, if you really do not enjoy relaxing occasionally and need to be busy all the time, then IMO river cruising is not for you.

I returned from Viking's Rhine Getaway in November. I have the bug and want to go on another river cruise soon or at least book one soon.

I want to know what your favorite river cruise was.

If you've got the bug, then it doesn't matter which one you go on as in time you'll go on all that interest you !

As for best... they each have some feature that makes them stand out..

I don't know about whats on offer where you are, but here repeat Viking customers get an extra £100 off, no CC fees, and sometimes cabin upgrades. Sure other lines have similar, but you'd be starting withthem.

We've only been with Viking, friends chose them for our first cruise and we saw need to move elsewhere afterwards

I am very type A, and do not do well just sitting and relaxing. ...

We prefer to maximize our time in port and look for that, as well as overnight stays. Our Tulip Time cruise with AMA was heavy on port time, as was our AMA Rhone cruise. Both also had a good number of overnight stays.

We also are very partial to theme cruises. Wine theme cruises on AMA have events while sailing that we enjoy, and Christmas market cruises can be busy as well.

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I looked at AMA at all, will have to do some research!

I

I want to go somewhere different, but am not opposed to more of Germany.1160531634

I am 29 and I traveled with my 59 year old mother. We like trying new foods, wines and beers, and we are big walkers.

Thank you for your advice!

You might consider a "Paris to Prague" cruise (Viking's Cities of Light for example). Cruise portion is actually from Trier to Nuremberg. You usually take a bus from Paris to Trier and from Nuremberg to Prague. Some lines allow you do do the cruise portion only.

In my opinion, the Moselle is the most scenic river I've cruised, and you get Roman history in Trier. You also do the Rhine gorge before turning onto the Main on your way to Nuremberg.

See the thread at the link below for more on the Moselle.

FuelScience

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

• 2 months later...
You might consider a "Paris to Prague" cruise (Viking's Cities of Light for example). Cruise portion is actually from Trier to Nuremberg. You usually take a bus from Paris to Trier and from Nuremberg to Prague. Some lines allow you do do the cruise portion only.

In my opinion, the Moselle is the most scenic river I've cruised, and you get Roman history in Trier. You also do the Rhine gorge before turning onto the Main on your way to Nuremberg.

See the thread at the link below for more on the Moselle.

FuelScience

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

What a crazy suggestion, FuelScience! My mother and I booked the Cities of Light cruise back in April because the deal was too good to pass up. We leave October 26th Prais-Prague!

We are very excited. Im sure the bug will continue once we are off the Odin. :)

What a crazy suggestion, FuelScience! My mother and I booked the Cities of Light cruise back in April because the deal was too good to pass up. We leave October 26th Prais-Prague!

We are very excited. Im sure the bug will continue once we are off the Odin. :)

Oh it will....in fact it will get worse:D:D

I agree with fuelscience...Moselle is absolutely stunning! this was my last cruise and it is one of my favorites. Trier and the Roman ruins were a surprise to us too...and Prague is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Last time I went to Europe, I bought SAS runners and they were excellent.

Ladies: Looking for recommendations on comfortable shoes for traipsing on those cobblestone, etc. Found references earlier on CC, but can't seem to find them now that I'm in the mood to go shopping.:confused:

Last time I went to Europe, I bought SAS runners and they were excellent.

Ladies: Looking for recommendations on comfortable shoes for traipsing on those cobblestone, etc. Found references earlier on CC, but can't seem to find them now that I'm in the mood to go shopping.:confused:

I love the Sketcher GoWalk's. Easy slip on, memory foam, thick, non-skid soles to cushion against the cobblestones, and I don't get blisters!

Last night I was flipping through the channels, and QVC was selling Sketchers and they now have GoWalk boots! I want a pair, but I have a high instep so I need to try a pair on in a store to ensure I can get them on.

I love the Sketcher GoWalk's. Easy slip on, memory foam, thick, non-skid soles to cushion against the cobblestones, and I don't get blisters!

Last night I was flipping through the channels, and QVC was selling Sketchers and they now have GoWalk boots! I want a pair, but I have a high instep so I need to try a pair on in a store to ensure I can get them on.

Excellent. They do seem to have quite the variety of colors. Heading to the U.S. soon and will check them out at DSW as well as the Sketchers outlet store outside of Palm Springs. DSW doesn't show the boots at this time. Will keep an eye out for them too. Thanks.