Culinary Center Classes

cruisedoctor

I may be a "voice crying in the wilderness" here - but I was not happy with the classes I took.

Two years ago I took 3 - Chef Noëlle Barrillo was the instructor. I found them very very basic. But I like cooking so I persevered. (I had problems with cooking in American measures instead of metric and F instead of C on the recipes but that was a minor issue...)

In April I had signed up for 4 classes. Same chef (I wasn't entirely happy about that). After 2 lessons I had had enough. This time not only quite basic but way too many dishes were covered with the result that we got little time with "hands on" cooking - most time was taken up by describing how she and her assistant had prepared/cooked the dish. I would have preferred to cook one or two dishes start to finish than to watch how she did something several times over.

So I cancelled the remaining two classes. The $69 x 2 was promptly credited to my on board account and at the end of the cruise I was invited to go to Reception to reclaim the cash. However I didn't realise I would get a cash refund so just before I got the letter telling me about it I had gone to the Gift Shop and bought a quantity of things I can't get here in Europe...

I won't be signing up again, I can tell you that! But others I talked to were very happy with the classes and that is a good thing.

I have attended 4 cooking classes,2 on Marina and 2 on Riviera

all of the classes were with Chef Kelley and were most informative and fun

Maybe sign up for one class and see how you like it.

My husband cancelled one class with no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand having to cancel a culinary class for illness or maybe even just not liking the Chef teaching the class.

What I don't understand is people that book the classes as a "maybe I will go if I am in the mood" and then cancelling. The number of participants are limited and booking a class you probably aren't going to take uses a spot that someone that really wants to take the class could have used.

What I don't understand is people that book the classes as a "maybe I will go if I am in the mood" and then cancelling. The number of participants are limited and booking a class you probably aren't going to take uses a spot that someone that really wants to take the class could have used.

I agree 100%, I hate it when people only think of them self...It's the same with booking a suite. I think no refunds period and that will stop these fake bookings and let people that want the booking get that booking no matter what it is.

Rick

I have taken 8 total classes, 4 with Chef Kelly and 4 with Chef Nicole. I am a seasoned cook and I always pick up a pointer or two and use at least one recipe from each class. I have never had a bad class.

I agree with Rick. People who book on a maybe fill up a spot that someone who really wants to attend will loose.

I have taken 8 total classes, 4 with Chef Kelly and 4 with Chef Nicole. I am a seasoned cook and I always pick up a pointer or two and use at least one recipe from each class. I have never had a bad class.

I agree with Rick. People who book on a maybe fill up a spot that someone who really wants to attend will loose.

+1

While the classes are somewhat basic by necessity (no prerequisites required so things like knife and food safety for tyros are always repeated), there is almost always some new technique tidbit to learn. The classes are also a good opportunity for couples to cook something together (without having to clean up afterwards- a luxury not often possible at home).

• 3 weeks later...

I did 3/4 of a class with Chef Kelly.

Unlike others, she would NOT excuse me for being sick. I was coughing and sneezing and most likely had a temperature. I didn't had the Noro that was running around as we later found out but who would have known?

There is a very clear questionnaire that you must fill out and I told her I couldn't sign it. She told me it was up to me what I did and they could try to squeeze me in another class or I could forfeit the money I paid.

I didn't have a whole lot of choice so I told her I would try (another roll call member was a witness) and I would leave if a coughing spell hit.

I made it through a fair bit and I was enjoying it other than not feeling good but when the coughing started, I turned in my apron and hat, collected my recipes and left.

That was it for me for culinary classes as I don't think sick people should be there and around food and I don't think they should make it difficult to cancel.

Just my experience and yes, I did cancel the remainder of my cooking classes.