Windstar looking to double the fleet!

gnld

We were on Star Legend's July 8th circumnavigation of Iceland cruise (our 3rd with Windstar). At the Yacht Club party, Capt. Richard Reville announced that Windstar is looking to DOUBLE the size of their fleet from 6 to 12 ships!!

It is know that Windstar has been trying to buy the Club Med 2 sailing ship from Club Med (twin of the Wind Surf). But Club Med would not sell her to Windstar, he said. However, Chinese investors have bought Club Med. Windstar approached them, and they were willing to sell the ship to Windstar, but the terms were not acceptable to Windstar. However, they continue to work the issue.

Capt. Reville said there were no other existing tonnage available that would be appropriate for Windstar. Thus they are looking at new builds. No time frames or specifics were given, so we'll just have to "stay tuned". Regardless, very interesting (and positive) news!!

Gary

Just hope they add more sailing ships in the WindStar size. They also need to take their time incorporating any new ships so they don't run into the same issues they had with the powered ships they added.

New builds would bring us back to Windstar very rapidly.

I love this sentiment expressed by the Windstar guy in the article that was just posted (page two): "A dream would be to build a new Windstar vessel from the keel up with a new sail system making it the most efficient vessel afloat.”

So let's keep our fingers crossed. We'd all love some more sailing ships, right? :cool:

I fear it is just that - a dream. Everything I've heard has been that it would be prohibitively expensive to build more sailed vessels. I also have to say that I mind them the icing on the cake, and really don't add much to the overall WS experience, except on the rare occasion when the ship is truly under sail with the engines off.

I totally agree on the "they need to do this slowly" opinion. Taken on the triplets as quickly as they did really did in the WS experience for a time. Too many new people, too many new ships to service, etc. They now seem to be getting back to normal, and our experience this April was much improved over a very iffy experience on one of the first itins on the converted Pride.

They took on too much too quickly. I hope they've learned.

I agree they need to take this slowly. We have had two cruises on Windstar and loved both, and are booked on a third in October.

With regard to sailing under sail only, on our two previous Caribbean cruises the sails were up everyday and on both cruises on one day we sailed just under sail. It was lovely, so quiet without the engines. Obviously depends on wind and sea conditions.

Even without that, the sails make the ships look so lovely, even when furled.

I think it may just be a dream as well. I've been told by two different captains that it would be far too expensive to build any more sailing vessels, and one said that there is no shipyard anymore which could even do it.

I don't know how accurate that info is, but that is what we were told.

Can not believe that there are not any shipyards that could build a sailing ship the size of WS. The heritage of WS is the sailing ships. Powered ships just lose something. It puts them in the class of many other powered ship lines. WS needs to stay something special with the sailing ships.

I totally agree that the WS experience is unique. There are few, if any of us, that are willing to sail on the "behemoths of the sea" regardless of all the new amenities they introduce.

For us it's all about the ports. After 8 sailings on WS, our goal is to find that itinerary that allows us to experience new places, while still receiving the personalized service that we've come to expect with WS.

Our next sailing in November will be our first on the former Seabourn ships(Pride). We can only hope that we will continue to feel the same way as we did on the "sailing" ships.

There is no question that they can still be built, it's the huge expense of building them. We have spoken with a number of WINDSTAR officers over the years and they say it doesn't seem to be feasible....especially the smaller sailing yachts (150 passengers) Maybe the Surf size with 300 passengers would work. Still would like to see them buy the Club Med. Who knows? It could happen.

I get lost in the details, but I think the original ships were built as part of some make work project at a loss, but I could be wrong. Yes, you can build a sailed vessel of that size, but the technology of the automated sails, etc., is apparently massive. And, totally redundant with the engines, that really power the ship much of the time. This in an era of intense competition and price cutting and it seems fewer people willing to pay a premium price. Certainly true of late where cabins are being pretty much given away.

I get lost in the details, but I think the original ships were built as part of some make work project at a loss, but I could be wrong. Yes, you can build a sailed vessel of that size, but the technology of the automated sails, etc., is apparently massive. And, totally redundant with the engines, that really power the ship much of the time. This in an era of intense competition and price cutting and it seems fewer people willing to pay a premium price. Certainly true of late where cabins are being pretty much given away.

Here I must disagree relative to people not willing to pay a premium price for quality. Look at SeaDream. Small ships, premium service and premium price - and they do not need to significantly discount their prices. You can contact any travel agent and all they will give is a minor OBC or spa credit - no deep discounts. Some of their 2017 sailings are already sold out.

I think the problem WS is having is a lack of real identity. When they had only sailing ships, they had something very unique. Now, with the Spirit in Tahiti, they really only have 2 sailing ships for Europe or the Caribbean. With the Spirit out of the picture, the majority of the ships (and cabins) powered ships. It is not the same WS of old. In addition, when they brought on the "new" ships, WS had severe growing pains and received many negative reviews. With the internet, once those negative reviews go public, it takes a long time to overcome them. You also have the situation where, for new people sailing, they look at WS powered ships and compare them to the larger lines. They see that WS does not provide the amenities of the larger ships and therefore question the price premium.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that WS has lost its unique identity and hence the ability to demand premium prices. For my wife and myself, we love the small WS sailing ships but are not enamored with the powered ships as they are "nothing special".

Here I must disagree relative to people not willing to pay a premium price for quality. Look at SeaDream. Small ships, premium service and premium price - and they do not need to significantly discount their prices. You can contact any travel agent and all they will give is a minor OBC or spa credit - no deep discounts. Some of their 2017 sailings are already sold out.

I think the problem WS is having is a lack of real identity. When they had only sailing ships, they had something very unique. Now, with the Spirit in Tahiti, they really only have 2 sailing ships for Europe or the Caribbean. With the Spirit out of the picture, the majority of the ships (and cabins) powered ships. It is not the same WS of old. In addition, when they brought on the "new" ships, WS had severe growing pains and received many negative reviews. With the internet, once those negative reviews go public, it takes a long time to overcome them. You also have the situation where, for new people sailing, they look at WS powered ships and compare them to the larger lines. They see that WS does not provide the amenities of the larger ships and therefore question the price premium.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that WS has lost its unique identity and hence the ability to demand premium prices. For my wife and myself, we love the small WS sailing ships but are not enamored with the powered ships as they are "nothing special".

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I have a somewhat different opinion. With almost 20 WS itins behind us on both sailed vessels and the triplets, the problem is not the sails which are just some sheets above you. The problem is that WS grew way too fast got a bunch of bad press and is now competing on price. The experience could be the same, at this point they're still struggling.

France, like many European country and to some extend Canada, always helped the local economy by subsidizing this kind of project. Look at Bombardier aircraft, Airbus, and Boeing, if it were not for the massive military contract it could probably not survive. Windstar is the same thing. I suggest a great book about the creation of the company and the sailing ship. $4 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Wind-Star-Building-Joseph-Novitski/dp/0025908308/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469405460&sr=8-1&keywords=wind+star+novitski

I have a somewhat different opinion. With almost 20 WS itins behind us on both sailed vessels and the triplets, the problem is not the sails which are just some sheets above you. The problem is that WS grew way too fast got a bunch of bad press and is now competing on price. The experience could be the same, at this point they're still struggling.

I just went and looked at the CC reviews of WS. There are still numerous poor reviews of the ships. With these poor reviews online, WS does need to try and compete on price. Obviously they can not ask a premium based on their reported service.

It is really too bad, one of the strengths of WS has been their repeat customer base. With the reviews they are getting, they will lose that strength rapidly. I can just hope the new management sees the issue and wants to place WS in a niche that is profitable for them.

I understand your comment re the sails. However, to us, the small ship sails just added something special. Sitting on the aft deck looking at the lights on the sails were just magical.

I just went and looked at the CC reviews of WS. There are still numerous poor reviews of the ships. With these poor reviews online, WS does need to try and compete on price. Obviously they can not ask a premium based on their reported service.

It is really too bad, one of the strengths of WS has been their repeat customer base. With the reviews they are getting, they will lose that strength rapidly. I can just hope the new management sees the issue and wants to place WS in a niche that is profitable for them.

I understand your comment re the sails. However, to us, the small ship sails just added something special. Sitting on the aft deck looking at the lights on the sails were just magical.

This. Sails with lights are fine, but not after you've tried to stop at the shore excursion desk and found it closed all six times with no clue as to when they might actually open. At that point you're a little grumpy. They need to work on the basics.