Pacific Princess - will we be disappointed?

ilovhywd

Having recently cruised on the new glitzy Celebrity ships, the newer Oceania ships, and the Crown Princess, would we be disappointed with the older Pacific Princess?

There is an itinerary that we really like, but we are concerned about the age of the ship.

Has Princess kept up with safety and decor improvements over the years?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I love the PP. Just did two weeks on her in December. There are lots of videos and blogs around about the ship. Google and you might find some pictures. The decor is elegant, not glitz. I'm pretty sure Princess keeps up with safety improvements on all the ships.

Edited by shredie

Having recently cruised on the new glitzy Celebrity ships, the newer Oceania ships, and the Crown Princess, would we be disappointed with the older Pacific Princess?

There is an itinerary that we really like, but we are concerned about the age of the ship.

Has Princess kept up with safety and decor improvements over the years?

There's no one answer to your question as to whether you'll like it because that's very subjective. Age is meaningless as ships are maintained and updated constantly.

The Pacific Princess is totally different... it's a small ship with a very different vibe and cruise experience. Don't expect glitz but you will experience glamour. The buffet is small, the library gorgeous and well-stocked, the service is great. Cabins are very, very different from the Crown Princess and almost every cabin has a small sofa and table, including inside cabins. Decor is kind of French Provincial... you'll see a lot of dark wood and wrought iron. There aren't as many lounges, activities or things to do during the day or evening. IMHO, meeting people is the main activity. :)

However, the cruise experience is very different. People say, "Hello!" to each other whether you're in the elevator or walking down the hallway. You get to know the staff and they get to know you. You'll make friends quickly and chances are they'll be friends for life. I equate it to the difference between a small college and a big university: it's friendly, familiar and an experience unto itself.

Here's an article written by John Heald (from Carnival) years ago that's still applicable today: http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/06/25/pacific-princessa-day-onboard-a-5-star-country-inn/

Edited by Pam in CA

Depends. Are you easily entertained? Or do you need all the bells and whistles. The Pacific Princess is definitely one of the fleets older ships. It is well maintained. There are those that like new, glitzy, and lots of things to do and Pacific is not like that. If you are cruising for the Itinerary and don't mind a small ship experience then you should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your responses - especially Pam in CA who took the time to write a detailed reply. We have done all the research and we are booking our trip tomorrow. I am sure we will be delighted with the Pacific Princess!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's hard to say. We love her, but then we want a quiet maybe even intimate cruise, as opposed to all the bells and whistles.

You will only have the one dining room, only one specialty restaurant open each night, one smallish theatre. Now I haven't been on her for a while, but last time the Panorama buffet wasn't open at night (can't say for certain if that's changed.

You actually get to know your fellow travelers not just see them once or twice.

Personally I love the decor. (wood and brass not chrome and glass).

Now I do have one thing against her.

She got us hooked.

I'd be as happy as if they sent her back down under.

We were on the OP August 15 and absolutely loved it! Smaller, more intimate, better service and a class above the larger ships! If you like the PP you will be forever spoiled. The library alone is worth it. Quiet , elegant, and warm. I'm looking for the right itinerary to sail on the PP. Can't wait to get back on a smaller ship!

Panama Canal - Los Angeles to Ft Lauderdale on May 11, 2016. We live 30 minutes from the port in Ft. Laud so the one-way flight makes this itinerary very appealing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pam in CA, are the staterooms roomier? Since you mentioned small sofa & table. How about the balconies? Decent size?

Not Pam, but YES, the cabins are roomier, but not the balconies (at least the ones along the sides of the ship .... I have never seen an aft balcony) NO plexiglass panels on the balconies, just good old fashioned metal railings with teak tops.

I have attached a couple of pics of my lowly porthole cabin down on deck 3 on the Pacific Princess. I loved it!!

At the moment I can't locate the pics I took of our minisuite on the Ocean, back when she was the Tahitian Princess, but those minis are significantly larger than the ones on the Crown and other similar Princess ships .

IMO, sailing on the Ocean and Pacific is like a lovely step back in time.

106680535_2013-08-31PacificPrincessMedandAdriatic049.jpg.ca6e0de632e5d09984d75dd11c32336e.jpg

1269263745_2013-08-31PacificPrincessMedandAdriatic050.jpg.0680d1f7b44e5256a147f5006ea5cef9.jpg

I spent 30+ days on the Pacific Princess last year on several cruises in Alaska and down to Mexico. I love the small ships, as others have mentioned it is a different experience from the big ships. None of the new bells and whistles but lots of friendly staff and passengers. No lines and you can be anywhere on the ship in about 5 minutes. Forett something in your cabin? No problem you're not 3 football fields and 12 decks away :)

I love the couch in all the cabins, the other ships never seem to have anywhere to sit in the lower level cabins. (inside, obstructed or even outside)

Once you sail on a small ship I think you will be hooked. Enjoy your cruise.

Ok for all the people who have traveled on PP how formal is formal evening? was planning on packing a long dress as I know on other cruises I have been on (which isn't many) on Formal nights one really dressed up which I am ok with.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Ok for all the people who have traveled on PP how formal is formal evening? was planning on packing a long dress as I know on other cruises I have been on (which isn't many) on Formal nights one really dressed up which I am ok with.

Thanks.

I never saw an answer to this question. We have only been on one Princess cruise, in February and March. Based on what I had seen on these boards, I took casual long-sleeve shirts and a blue blazer to wear on formal nights. I really stood out. On the second formal night I only saw one other person in the dining room who was not wearing a tie, and the vast majority of men wore tuxedos. :o I own a tux and a dinner jacket, which I can certainly carry with me in June. But is the Pacific Princess very formal on formal nights?

Thanks.

It was about the same as any other Princess ship, some tuxes, some jacket and ties, fewer polos and dockers. For the ladies, not many ball gowns, but lots of sparkly stuff.

Are there tables for 2 in the MDR? If so, are they impossible to get? Yes. Some are six inches from a table for six. Some are truly off by themselves. How easy to get depends on how many passengers requested them for the cruise you are on.

Is the buffet open for an alternate dinner option? Yes

See above in red

Are there tables for 2 in the MDR? If so, are they impossible to get?

Is the buffet open for an alternate dinner option?

Plenty of tables for 2, never had a problem getting one.

I have been told the buffet is now open as an alternate, it wasn't when we were last on her, but that was a few years ago.