Princess insurance and EZair

lladage

Does anyone know if Princess insurance covers airfare booked through EZair if you have to cancel after final payment due to covered medical reasons? It seems like it should cover all expenses booked through Princess, but I can't seem to find any mention of airfare. Thanks.

Lynn

I Believe EZ Air is seperate from the insurance. The insurance pays for trip interruption; like airlines being late, or baggage not making it. The insurance also covers cancelling for a medical reason. But you would have to check the insurance policy; Third party insurance companies give you an option to cancel for any reason. These policies cost a little more. EZ Air will guarantee you get to the ship, either the day of cruise of if you missed the ship; they will get you to the next port.

PRINCESS CANCELLATION FEE WAIVER PROGRAM

Provided by Princess Cruises

Reimburses up to: Reimburses up to:

Trip cancellation/Trip Interruption protection if you cancel or interrupt your cruise for specified reasons 100% of

Cruise Vacation Cost 100% of

Cruise Vacation Cost

Future Cruise Credit if you need to cancel your cruise for Any Reason 100%

Future Cruise Credit 75%

Future Cruise Credit

PRINCESS TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM

Underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company

Reimburses up to: Reimburses up to:

Trip Delay (pre-Cruise Vacation) $500 $500

Trip Delay (post-Cruise Vacation) $1,500 $1,500

Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation $50,000 $25,000

Accident Medical Expense $20,000 $10,000

Sickness Medical Expense $20,000 $10,000

Baggage/Personal Effects $3,000 $1,500

Baggage Delay $500 $500

WORLDWIDE EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM

Services provided by On Call International

24/7 24/7

PLATINUM UPGRADES

Platinum, Elite and Ruby Captain's Circle Members receive an upgrade to Platinum Protection at Standard price, paid for by Princess Cruises on the member's behalf. Princess Vacation Protection is a recommended optional purchase to your cruise vacation. Without it, you are subject to the Cancellation Refund Schedule above and are not eligible for a refund in the event you must cancel.

THE PROTECTION PLAN YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY SELECTED IS SHOWN HERE:

Edited by AF-1

My experience has been that airfare (and think hotel/tour packages) purchased from Princess are covered by their insurance. The policy cost was based on the cruise fare only but it also covered the air.

I believe that covers both cancel for any reason (future cruise credit) and a covered reason for cancellation (cash).

Here's a PDF copy about their PVP insurance:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Edited by Astro Flyer

My experience has been that airfare (and think hotel/tour packages) purchased from Princess are covered by their insurance. The policy cost was based on the cruise fare only but it also covered the air.

I believe that covers both cancel for any reason (future cruise credit) and a covered reason for cancellation (cash).

I think you are correct Frank. :)

If you look at my post I copy and pasted the info from website; same as you did Frank

Thanks...I didn't closely read all of the summary & based my post on past research that I've done.

The OP might want to call the phone # listed in the summary to confirm what is covered because it could be different when getting a covered reason cash refund than for a cancel for any reason future cruise credit.

I think (without reading the policy details, so you should call Princess to be sure) that the answer is both "yes" and "no."

The "no" part is that if you have paid for the airfare and if it is past the time that Princess has paid the airline, the airfare is not refunded in cash, but can be used per the airline's rebooking policy which is usually that the amount can be used for any flight within a year of original payment subject to a rebooking fee.

The "yes" part is that the rebooking fee will be covered by the Princess insurance.

Of course it means that sometime in that year's time you actually want to fly to a destination that the airline or it's alliance partners fly to.

Here's a PDF copy about their PVP insurance:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

I agree.

Thanks, everyone. I was hoping someone would be able to report on a personal experience (not that I want anyone to have to cancel their cruise last minute). Looks like a phone call to Princess this morning.

Lynn

Thanks, everyone. I was hoping someone would be able to report on a personal experience (not that I want anyone to have to cancel their cruise last minute). Looks like a phone call to Princess this morning.

Lynn

According to the rep in the Princess insurance department that I just spoke to, airfare booked through EZair is covered if canceling for a covered reason. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...
According to the rep in the Princess insurance department that I just spoke to, airfare booked through EZair is covered if canceling for a covered reason. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Lynn

That is what I was told as well. And then it wasn't when I needed it. We booked through Princess EZ Air and selected the Princess insurance because I was told it would cover the airfare if we had to cancel. But when it came right down to needing to use it I found out the hard way it did not and now I'm desperately trying to figure out how to use $3600 of airfare on an airline that has no domestic flights, only international. It has been a complete nightmare and has basically put us off cruising Princess after years of being loyal customers. I won't go into detail about the merry go round I have been on with them since my sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor and we had to cancel our British Isles cruise, but it has been the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered and long story short, our next cruise is scheduled with Celebrity and it looks like we will just be chalking up the lost airfare to a very bad decision to trust Princess. I really don't know if we will ever step foot on a Princess cruise again. :mad:

That is what I was told as well. And then it wasn't when I needed it. We booked through Princess EZ Air and selected the Princess insurance because I was told it would cover the airfare if we had to cancel. But when it came right down to needing to use it I found out the hard way it did not and now I'm desperately trying to figure out how to use $3600 of airfare on an airline that has no domestic flights, only international. It has been a complete nightmare and has basically put us off cruising Princess after years of being loyal customers. I won't go into detail about the merry go round I have been on with them since my sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor and we had to cancel our British Isles cruise, but it has been the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered and long story short, our next cruise is scheduled with Celebrity and it looks like we will just be chalking up the lost airfare to a very bad decision to trust Princess. I really don't know if we will ever step foot on a Princess cruise again. :mad:

Ouch! People keep reinforcing me to keep with 3rd party insurance. I knew you were a big Princess person. So sorry to hear of your sister's illness.

Ouch! People keep reinforcing me to keep with 3rd party insurance. I knew you were a big Princess person. So sorry to hear of your sister's illness.

Thank you Coral! She is holding her own and quite the fighter so we are all trying to remain positive! And you are right, I was the biggest Princess cheerleader, but I have come to realize that they are just like any other company. They don't care about me and my loyalty and the dollars we spend with them are a drop in an enormous bucket. They won't miss us. :( But hopefully I can at least serve as a warning to someone else so they don't make our same mistake.

Wow..I'm sorry to hear your story. Would you please post the details of why your airfare claim was denied? I went ahead with the Princess insurance, and wonder if I should look again at other insurance. Thanks.

Lynn

Wow..I'm sorry to hear your story. Would you please post the details of why your airfare claim was denied? I went ahead with the Princess insurance, and wonder if I should look again at other insurance. Thanks.

Lynn

We booked the cruise and paid in full for the airfare at that time because Princess was having a special sale. We did not purchase the flexible air because it was significantly more and Princess assured us that our Platinum insurance that we had purchased through them would cover it. My sister collapsed and was diagnosed with brain cancer shortly after we made final payment. When that happened we decided that we would be unable to travel so we canceled immediately and also opened a claim with Princess. However, since it was still just within days of the cancellation deadline they went ahead and just credited our entire cruise fare without putting it through the insurance. In doing so they also reimbursed what we had paid for the insurance. We didn't even realize this. So when the claim was processed a few weeks later it was denied because they said we didn't have the insurance because it wasn't paid for. I was aghast! I said I would repay it but they wouldn't let me do that and further more told me it wouldn't have covered the airfare anyway since I didn't choose the flexible air option. I protested that I had been specifically told it would cover the restricted air.

But they said no, best I could get was a credit from British Airways which I would have a year to use. It was presented that it would be good for a year from our original travel date, but we just found out last week when I tried to use it for a British Isles cruise with Princess that we had planned to do next May (within the year from our cancelled trip) that we had been misinformed and the vouchers expire at the end of November - one year from the date of purchase. I literally broke into tears. We had just started to get excited about the prospect of getting to do our dream trip next year. But Princess wouldn't budge in trying to help in any way and just said it was now between me and British Airways. I have tried to talk with the airline, but they keep telling me since it was purchased through Princess I need to get them to help with trying to rebook. I was even trying to see if at least my daughter and I could get away for a week in London before it expires but I can't even get any help with that. The Princess customer service manager, Nicole, has stopped answering or returning my calls and British Airways basically treats me like I'm an alien with two heads when I try to get help there. We have now cancelled the British Isles cruise we had booked with Princess next May and we have booked a back to back Pacific Coastal/Alaska cruise with Celebrity. If you can believe it, when I told the representative at Celebrity about what had happened at Princess she actually has offered to try to get their air department to help me out since they have a good relationship with British Airways and are a big vendor. I'm just at my wits end and have just about accepted the fact that we are probably just going to have to chalk it up as a loss. But the treatment from Princess has been terrible from start to finish! :(

We booked the cruise and paid in full for the airfare at that time because Princess was having a special sale. We did not purchase the flexible air because it was significantly more and Princess assured us that our Platinum insurance that we had purchased through them would cover it. My sister collapsed and was diagnosed with brain cancer shortly after we made final payment. When that happened we decided that we would be unable to travel so we canceled immediately and also opened a claim with Princess. However, since it was still just within days of the cancellation deadline they went ahead and just credited our entire cruise fare without putting it through the insurance. In doing so they also reimbursed what we had paid for the insurance. We didn't even realize this. So when the claim was processed a few weeks later it was denied because they said we didn't have the insurance because it wasn't paid for. I was aghast! I said I would repay it but they wouldn't let me do that and further more told me it wouldn't have covered the airfare anyway since I didn't choose the flexible air option. I protested that I had been specifically told it would cover the restricted air.

But they said no, best I could get was a credit from British Airways which I would have a year to use. It was presented that it would be good for a year from our original travel date, but we just found out last week when I tried to use it for a British Isles cruise with Princess that we had planned to do next May (within the year from our cancelled trip) that we had been misinformed and the vouchers expire at the end of November - one year from the date of purchase. I literally broke into tears. We had just started to get excited about the prospect of getting to do our dream trip next year. But Princess wouldn't budge in trying to help in any way and just said it was now between me and British Airways. I have tried to talk with the airline, but they keep telling me since it was purchased through Princess I need to get them to help with trying to rebook. I was even trying to see if at least my daughter and I could get away for a week in London before it expires but I can't even get any help with that. The Princess customer service manager, Nicole, has stopped answering or returning my calls and British Airways basically treats me like I'm an alien with two heads when I try to get help there. We have now cancelled the British Isles cruise we had booked with Princess next May and we have booked a back to back Pacific Coastal/Alaska cruise with Celebrity. If you can believe it, when I told the representative at Celebrity about what had happened at Princess she actually has offered to try to get their air department to help me out since they have a good relationship with British Airways and are a big vendor. I'm just at my wits end and have just about accepted the fact that we are probably just going to have to chalk it up as a loss. But the treatment from Princess has been terrible from start to finish! :(

So sorry to hear of your situation! I was just reading this and had a thought, but it could be a remote chance? Have you checked with the credit card (?) that you made the payment with to see if they have any travel insurance benefits that may help you out???

Happy Cruising!

Mark

We booked the cruise and paid in full for the airfare at that time because Princess was having a special sale. (

Wow - I can now see why this could happen but it doesn't seem right. Everything that could go wrong, did.

Have you tried one of those fixit people on Good Morning America or something like that?

I know someone who had luck with United Airlines by writing a letter and with a doctor's note when their Mom became sick and would never be able to travel again to use the ticket in the future - United refunded the airfare.

Best wishes. I can see why you are heart broken.

I would also recommend using a real travel agent (not call center), if you didn't. I would think a TA would have caught the refund of the insurance and realized that would cause problems with the refund of the air.

Again, I am so sorry. It is almost like "the perfect storm" where everything went wrong.

Edited by Coral

karatemom2:

Have you tried all the contacts listed here?

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/

Have you tried written contact, rather than phone contact?

Have you tried social media, as listed on the above-referenced website?

Do not give up! I agree that you should concentrate your efforts on Princess, not BA, as Princess "owns" the flight tickets, which they purchased from BA. Also, it was Princess who apparently canceled your insurance without your agreement to do so.

Do not give up! I agree that you should concentrate your efforts on Princess, not BA, as Princess "owns" the flight tickets, which they purchased from BA. Also, it was Princess who apparently canceled your insurance without your agreement to do so.

Good point.

Okay, it looks like a combination of booking restricted airfare instead of flexible airfare and the date of cancellation. It doesn't make your situation any better, but at least I understand. I agree...Princess is at fault for canceling the insurance when they knew that you had restricted airfare.

Is there any chance of taking a land trip to London, just so you don't lose what you've already spent on airfare? We spent 3 days there pre-cruise and wished we had more time. Definitely worth a return trip.

Lynn

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I am trying to find a way to at least use a couple of the tickets for a visit to London at the end of October but can't seem to get anyone at either BA or Princess to help me with the booking. I will try again next week. I needed to take a break from the frustration! And the idea about pursuing a consumer watchdog to help me is a good one. I'm also contemplating a letter to Princess higher ups although I'm doubtful after the treatment I have received so far that it will help. But it might make me feel better to at least get this all off my chest. Honestly just posting here has been therapeutic. I had avoided posting here at CC about it because I didn't want to be venting and putting a wet blanket on others but when I saw a thread specifically about the insurance and airfare issue I was compelled to comment.

I had avoided posting here at CC about it because I didn't want to be venting and putting a wet blanket on others but when I saw a thread specifically about the insurance and airfare issue I was compelled to comment.

I think your lesson is a good one and could save someone else heartache in the future. I am glad you posted so others could learn from this. It maybe worth started a separate thread just as a warning if someone has to cancel a cruise before final payment (even though everything is paid) as to what could happen.

I appreciate that Coral. I sure have learned my lesson the hard way and would never want anyone else to go through this. Now I just wish I could get someone from either Princess or BA to help me get some use from these tickets in the short window I have left. Perhaps I could still get a trip to London out if it! I will start calling again tomorrow I guess.