breakaway out of NY

3shar

Just wondering what the experience has been with the rough seas out of New York to Bermuda. My husband is concerned.

You can have rough seas from any port at anytime. With that said I have cruised twice to Bermuda, and both times did not experience rough seas.

Sailed from New York 3 times and will again in May. Never had a problem so far, but you never know. The last time we went, one of the staff told us that the cruise the week before us never got to Bermuda because of weather........cruising is always a gamble. Best just to forget about it and go with the flow!

We've done Bermuda four times. Twice we've had some rough seas for one day each, the first time on the way back and last year going down. There is always a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just wondering what the experience has been with the rough seas out of New York to Bermuda. My husband is concerned.

Really? Its the Atlantic Ocean......... it can flat calm it can be very rough. We have had both in the span of two days

Ditto what everyone else said...

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you're much more likely to encounter rough seas in the late fall - early spring. The reason for this are the coastal lows (noreasters) that tend to develop. They're lows that explode quickly and are usually akin pressure-wise to a tropical storm. The one that Quantam foolishly sailed into was equivalent to a cat 1 or 2.

There's a reason why cruises didn't real sail year round from NYC for a long time. The winter seas are it.

Summertime to Bermuda should be uneventful

we have cruised out of New Jersey not that much different from NYC as far as what weather will exist, we have not encountered rough seas going out, we did coming back a bit the second time, but nothing that would stop us frm going againg and again..... Enjoy your cruise!!:)

We have sailed quite a few times from NY to Bermuda. Sometimes it has been so smooth and others a bit rocky. Doesn't stop us from sailing out of NY to Bermuda, going again this June. I get sea sick and don't let it bother me. Just make sure you have Bonine packed.

Breakaway is among the top 10 largest mega-ships cruising anywhere these days, if I am not mistaken - only "slightly" smaller than the Quantum - and those Norwegian ship captains are great & skillful in what they do ... aided by these latest navigational aid & communications with land. We've sailed on the smaller ships, including NCL's Crown in 2006 and 2007, in the 40,000 tonnage class & that's "small" by today's standard - Gem & Dawn out of Boston is twice the size ... newer ones has stabilizers.

If you are worried & prone to motion sickness, take precaution as most do - speak to your PCP before sailing; and, most importantly - book a midship stateroom on the lower deck - deck 9 or maybe deck 5 (it's close to / just above the waterline, don't worry about the submarine picture window view outside, close the curtain if you get dizzy looking at the waves - it's 100% watertight & waterproof) Rough sea conditions & monster waves typically last a few hours or less, only for longer duration if the ship cannot navigate & steer around to get into calmer waters. Common sense - hold on to railings while walking the corridors and avoid going to the buffet as it's high, deck 15 and you will feel plenty of rocky & rolling motion and the horizon moving.

NWS just issued a high wind warning, midnight to Sunday noon, gust of 60 mph - on dry land ... that's mother nature.

Relax, plan it & enjoy the Bermuda vacation by cruising - we are doing it again, for the 4th time - pretty soon (not soon enough, LOL) :D

Breakaway is one of the most solid ships I have ever been on. It takes a lot to make it sway. But if this is a concern, definitely get a midship cabin and not too high up. I've always been on deck 10 or 11.

The great majority of my cruises have been out of NY...and about 9 or 10 of them have been to Bermuda. Some have been a little rocky & rolly, not ALL of them, lol...but I have to tell you that the Breakaway handles choppy ocean very, very well. ;)

you can have both in the span of 2 hours also

Your right, I didn't bring that up because I didn't want to blow anyones mind LOL

As a boater I've seen all kinds of weather.

Going out today they will be in for a rocky start to their cruise

Indeed! I have a view of the Hudson from my window and my oh my the white caps... I haven't seen them like this in a while. Breakaway should be rockin' and rollin' when she leaves today with these high winds and choppy seas. That said, I wish I was boarding today! ;)

Edited by Dave85