Sweetener?

dakrewser

I know HAL used to stock Yellow & Blue (along with White, Pink and - I think - Brown). Can any recent cruisers confirm that they still do?

What with all the cutbacks, it's well to check on everything! :)

Sugar, Splenda, Sweet & Low, & Nutrasweet. There might be Sugar in the Raw (the brown packet of turbinado sugar as well.) Not 100% sure as I take my coffee black and my tea unsweetened - because I'm sweet enough. This is current as of September.

Edited by POA1

Sugar, Splenda, Sweet & Low, & Nutrasweet. There might be Sugar in the Raw (the brown packet of turbinado sugar as well.) Not 100% sure as I take my coffee black and my tea unsweetened - because I'm sweet enough. This is current as of September.

Oh you sure are sweet enough ;) :D. They do have sugar in the raw in explorations cafe for sure, so it's available.

I guess I will have to take my own Stevia (Truvia) for our cruises. I recently cut chemical sweeteners completely out of my diet and switched to Stevia. I decided I was using far too much Sugar Twin on a daily basis. The Truvia even smells like sugar and is all natural. I was going to start a thread to ask the question but now I won't have to.

You can get an answer to almost anything on CC. :)

I started using Stevia several years ago, and as recently as this past May I do not recall seeing it on the Rotterdam. However, I will check it out later this month on the Veendam, but I will still bring my own supply just in case. If Stevia would be available, that would be great!

I guess I will have to take my own Stevia (Truvia) for our cruises. I recently cut chemical sweeteners completely out of my diet and switched to Stevia. I decided I was using far too much Sugar Twin on a daily basis. The Truvia even smells like sugar and is all natural.

If you are using Truvia, thinking it is Stevia, you are mistaken and have not eliminated "Chemical Sweeteners."

Truvia was developed jointly by Coka-cola and Cargill. It is composed of Erithritol, Rebaudioside A (on the label as Rebinia) and "Natural Flavors." Rebaudioside A is DERIVED from Stevia, but it decidedly a "Chemical Sweetener", not the same as using pure Stevia.

There are 'chemicals' in everything we eat, unless you are growing your own food. People just get extra weird/superstitious about sweeteners for some reason. Truvia is much much safer for your body than, for example, high fructose corn syrup. Not containing 'real' stevia (rather, just the stuff that makes stevia taste sweet) doesn't make it harmful.

There are 'chemicals' in everything we eat, unless you are growing your own food. People just get extra weird/superstitious about sweeteners for some reason.

Perhaps it didn't come across well, but that was my point. "Chemicals" are not necessarily a bad thing, some are beneficial, some toxic and some neutral. I was just pointing out that Truvia is a combination of chemicals and by using it one does not eliminate "Chemical sweeteners."

If you are using Truvia, thinking it is Stevia, you are mistaken and have not eliminated "Chemical Sweeteners."

Truvia was developed jointly by Coka-cola and Cargill. It is composed of Erithritol, Rebaudioside A (on the label as Rebinia) and "Natural Flavors." Rebaudioside A is DERIVED from Stevia, but it decidedly a "Chemical Sweetener", not the same as using pure Stevia.

That is interesting. Where can you buy pure Stevia?

Is the Truvia that contains chemicals better for you than the others---like maybe less harmful chemicals?

The Truvia is certainly more expensive.

That is interesting. Where can you buy pure Stevia?

Is the Truvia that contains chemicals better for you than the others---like maybe less harmful chemicals?

The Truvia is certainly more expensive.

You can buy stevia powder at whole foods etc, or online. There's probably some kind of stevia powder in the grocery stores now too. Unfortunately I'm one of those people for whom straight stevia has a bitter taste.

There is nothing harmful in Truvia. The primary sweeteners (isolated stevia compounds and erythritol) both occur in nature.

Sapper -

This probably won't help unless you're down here for a cruise, but Publix has 3 brands, so your grocery may as well. There's Pure Via, Stevia in the Raw, and Publix store brand. The 'in the Raw' brand is made by the same people who make Sugar in the Raw, the brown packets.

You can buy stevia powder at whole foods etc, or online. There's probably some kind of stevia powder in the grocery stores now too. Unfortunately I'm one of those people for whom straight stevia has a bitter taste.

There is nothing harmful in Truvia. The primary sweeteners (isolated stevia compounds and erythritol) both occur in nature.

Thank you for this information. I can see I have to do a little more research to decide what to settle on.