Bergen Questions Answered

I'm hoping you might be able to help with a question I have. Do you know what time the Hurtigruten terminal opens in the morning? The info on their site says check in is open from 1pm, but its not clear if it's possible to use the luggage lockers earlier than that.

We will be in Bergen all day with our luggage next Saturday, and boarding Hurtigruten in the evening so I need somewhere at the port or as close as possible to leave our luggage for the day so we can sight see.

Any info or tips gratefully received :-)

The terminal building is open througout the day, as it also houses offices for a number of companies, and is used for the daily fjordline sailings to Denmark early each afternoon. I'm not familiar with the lockers myself, but providing the they are in a public area (ie not behind a check in desk) then you should be able to use them from the morning onwards.

Hi there, our ship Serenade of the Seas arrives on 15 June and is berthed at Dokkeskjaekaien. I have found the City Sightseeing Bus website which says one of their stops is Dokken Kai. Do you know if this is the same place, or at least close to where we are berthed.

I have searched for a map of the City Sightseeing route and stops, but so far have been unable to do so, any help would be appreciated.

When the big ships are in, the City Sightseeing bus operates from alongside the ship, so you should be fine just stepping straight onto it from the quayside :)

I have booked a Hurtigruten roundtrip voyage for March 2 next year. I plan to fly into Bergen a couple of days early just in case there are flight delays. I'm considering the NIN Bergen round trip. I am a senior woman traveling alone. Would you recommend the NIN trip at this time of year, or would I be better off just taking a train to Flam and back to get some scenery.

Also trying to decide between Thon Rosenkrantz, First Hotel Marin and Det Hanseatiske Hotell for my 2 night stay. Is Det Hanseatiske worth the extra money? Are they easy to walk to from the shuttle bus with my luggage?

Thanks

I think NIN is a good option for that sightseeing route, even in March. Just don't hold out too much hope for great weather!

For hotels, I havn't personally stayed in any of them, so it might be worth searching online reviews for each. Location-wise, the three you are considering area all in a very good, central part of Bergen. All are within a couple of hundred metres of the main stops for the Airport shuttle bus, so don't let location sway your decision!

Most of the drivers on the airport buses will announce the main hotels nearest to each stop so you can't miss it, but either way the last stop is right along by Bryggen, which is probably the best stop for your hotels :)

The link seems to be working properly for me now, maybe it was down for updates when you tried?

Hmmmm, must be me. When I follow the link, I then click the icon to translate to English. Where to from there?

According to the cruisett website we are the only ship on June 15th, just waned to double check as that site is not always accurate.

Pompeii, so sorry! Have you tried reaching out directly to Bergen.s tourism office? Or TripAdvisor forums? Maybe there is something to be found there. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. They answered back with info about the boat that leaves at 10am and suggest that if our ship docks early we can try for that one. So I guess there's nothing later.

The funicular up Fløyen will definitely be very busy that day, so I think you're making the right call in walking up (providing the weather doesn't stop play). From the funicular station in town the walk is pretty easy to follow. The signs aren't super obvious, but the first part is to climb the zig-zagging steps and slopes up through the houses behind the station. For this you should be fine just following the stream of people.

This brings you to the old fire station; a white wooden building that looks a little like a chuch with a steeple. From here the footpaths split into many different routes to the top, with signs here and there. If you're ever unsure there should be plenty of passers-by who can clarify the route, but you should be fine. Basically, go with the flow :)

Thank you. This sounds like a plan. There was mention that there is a machine that we can purchase tickets to come back down after making the trek up. Do you know the cost for one way and what forms of payment they may accept? Thanks again for everything.

UKcruise88,

Thank you for all of the valuable infromation on this tread. We are very much looking forward to our visit.

I read your directions in post #29 for getting to the Stave Church. How much time do you think we should allow to make the roundtrip?

Planning to hike the Vidden trail between Uleriken and Floyen if the weather is suitable during our 8a-5p stay in Bergen. Do you have any advice? Our plan will be to use the Uleriken bus or public bus to Uleriken, take the gondola to the top, hike to Floyen and take the fernicular back down to the city then walk back to the ship enjoying Bergen along the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi

Would you happen to know whereabouts p&o Azura docks and if it's far to walk to the centre at sights

Many Thanks

Hi, Azura - on 27th May 2015, will dock,at Bontelabo Berth 2. This is one of the best places to arrive. Very close to the city centre, you can walk along the harbour, past the Byryggen and to the Fish Market within a few minutes.

Edited by roysmith99

Hi, Azura - on 27th May 2015, will dock,at Bontelabo Berth 2. This is one of the best places to arrive. Very close to the city centre, you can walk along the harbour, past the Byryggen and to the Fish Market within a few minutes.

Thanks. Will this be the same in August. Many thanks

• 2 months later...

We will be in Bergen on Sept 3 & again on Sept 7 on the Caribbean Princess doing the B2B cruises. I have read it we dock at the out of town terminal where we are schedule to dock that you can not walk out of the port. You must use the shuttle. If this happens where do they drop you in town and do you have direction for getting to the Funicular from the drop off point. We are planning to do the Funicular on the first day. Ride up and walk down - any suggestions? We are open on the second day - so any suggestions will be welcome. So that we may get a good feel of Bergen in the two day visits.

I think it's a great idea to do Bergen by yourselves. Most of the cruise terminals are located very close to the town centre and the walk is easy and clearly signed. A couple of larger cruise terminals are a little further from the centre, and I think most lines put on a shuttle bus when docked here (it's still walkable, maybe allow 20 mins). If you let me know which ship you're on and which date I can tell you where you'll be docking.

I hear the weather in Bergen is consistently bad (it wasn't when I was there, but...), so I can forward on a bit of advice from the Juneau, Alaska thread: if it's overcast and/or foggy and you can't see the top of Mount Floyen, then you will not see much if you go up the funicular.

We will be in Bergen on Sept 3 & again on Sept 7 on the Caribbean Princess doing the B2B cruises. I have read it we dock at the out of town terminal where we are schedule to dock that you can not walk out of the port. You must use the shuttle. If this happens where do they drop you in town and do you have direction for getting to the Funicular from the drop off point.

We docked a bit out of town (sorry, don't know the dock name). It was in a commercial shipping area.

Pedestrians were not allowed to walk from the ship to the gate. There are no sidewalks or marked walking lanes sometimes found in other ports. I'm sure it's a safety concern - containers being loaded and unloaded, heavy equipment being moved, etc.

It was a five to ten minute ride to the city center at most. One couple did ask to get dropped off at the gate, and the driver was happy to oblige. Shuttles were efficient and ran frequently. The drop off and pick-up point was next to the large park, close to public transportation, a five minute walk to shopping and the Information Center.

Sorry I cannot help with the Funicular, we took the light rail out to the Stave Church, then had lunch on the wharf (expensive but delicious), followed by shopping. Bergen is a lovely city!

Edited by sippican

I think the Stave church is good if you want to get out of touristy Bergen. That church is a reproduction now, courtesy of some idiot arsonist who is in jail now. There is a church in Oslo almost exactly like it at the open air museum. That one is not so out of the way. Both of them require a fair bit of walking.

Edited by tetleytea

I think the Stave church is good if you want to get out of touristy Bergen. That church is a reproduction now, courtesy of some idiot arsonist who is in jail now. There is a church in Oslo almost exactly like it at the open air museum. That one is not so out of the way. Both of them require a fair bit of walking.

If you are going to Oslo and Bergen, I would recommend skipping Fantoft in Bergen (as it is a reproduction) and seeing the Stave Church at the open air museum in Oslo (which is STUNNING!). Bergen is lovely! Once you are in town, everything (including the funicular, wharf, Hanseatic museum, etc.) is walkable. Yes, do the funicular first as that line can get rather long. If you have children with you, there is a lovely playground at the top of the funicular as well. Such a lovely town!

TOTALLY agree with Marlieb regarding the Stave church and open air museum in Oslo. We took the public water taxi over to this beautiful community of older beautiful homes - walked to and thoroughly enjoyed the open air and Viking Ship museums.

The funicular was lovely on a sunny day in Bergen. Do walk around and enjoy the various views from the top. It is a very nice memory

• 2 weeks later...

According to weather I've been tracking, it has been raining continuously in Bergen And, the forecast is for rain when we'll be there, Aug 12 (evening) through August 17.

What is it usually like ... Rain all day, is it on and off, sprinkles or heavy rain?? do we have any hope?

sue

• 3 weeks later...