Weak Pound effect on travel abroad...

Southendweather

With the £ to $ at such a low now with all the uncertainties with Brexit, I fear that travel abroad for us Brits is going to get dearer. But the flip side could be that with less people being able to afford foreign travel, more deals maybe on the cards.

Keith (Southend):confused:

The problem for P&O cruisers is that since all charges are in sterling it is quite likely that a lot of normal package holiday types may decide to switch to a sterling based cruise holiday instead.

So if you want to guarantee your holiday next year, you had better book early.

Agreeing with Dwalkerdave; if things such as fuel continue to be bought in dollars (with the exchange rate so bad no one wants pounds sterling) prices will go up and get transferred to the holiday makers. It's a bit of a shame IMO - which is why we've booked our 2018 cruise as soon as they came out.

Even with a finance degree I couldn't tell you what exactly going to happen but I am pretty confident the exchange rates will be stabilised by 3 years (at a minimum with a "soft Brexit") after we leave the EU; the price hikes shouldn't be forever.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by danielundecided

Going back years ago to when the pound crashed to it's current rate, we look back to how our travel was affected back then or how travel industry reacted .

We booked to go away and stayed in a Manchester airport hotel peak time Christmas, for the grand price of £9 ..no where near the normal price

they would normally charge .

We also did a day trip to Dublin from Doncaster airport for a £1 each when Ryan Air used to do that run from there,

I couldn't get the bus up the road to town for that.

My work ... yes it cost more in fuel to export our goods but as the pound was not riding high our product was not as expensive to our overseas customers.

What I think is some things you will gain and some you will lose "swings & roundabouts".

Company's travel or otherwise will like in the past do whatever it takes to keep it's customer base .

Having said all that it will not feel that way when you go to get your holiday money at the moment .

Edited by kalos

Any holidays including flights could be more expensive as the majority of taxes on a flight are based in US $ and so are affected by any change in the exchange rate. Long haul flights are the most susceptible to this as a lot of the 'tax' is fuel surcharge (as well as airport and UK government tax) which is priced in US $ and I have already seen changes in this tax of £20 - £40 depending on when the flight was originally booked and change in tax now.

With the £ to $ at such a low now with all the uncertainties with Brexit, I fear that travel abroad for us Brits is going to get dearer. But the flip side could be that with less people being able to afford foreign travel, more deals maybe on the cards.

Keith (Southend):confused:

I believe that due to the Unilever/Tesco crisis, Marmite will only be available at a supplement :eek:

Going back years ago to when the pound crashed to it's current rate, we look back to how our travel was affected back then or how travel industry reacted .

We booked to go away and stayed in a Manchester airport hotel peak time Christmas, for the grand price of £9 ..no where near the normal price

they would normally charge .

We also did a day trip to Dublin from Doncaster airport for a £1 each when Ryan Air used to do that run from there,

I couldn't get the bus up the road to town for that.

My work ... yes it cost more in fuel to export our goods but as the pound was not riding high our product was not as expensive to our overseas customers.

What I think is some things you will gain and some you will lose "swings & roundabouts".

Company's travel or otherwise will like in the past do whatever it takes to keep it's customer base .

Having said all that it will not feel that way when you go to get your holiday money at the moment .

That would be around 1992 when we were evicted from the ERM.

As will be apparent in a short while, it was only a temporary blip.

We Brits are far too resilient to let minor incidents worry us.

Can anybody see many more Americans going on P&O cruises because of paying in pounds?

If they made it easier for them to book I would imagine they would come, they just have the one travel agent in the USA I do believe.

Had a quick look at the P&O website for some cruises next year and thought they were looking quite expensive. I've now compared then to my P&O brochure I have and can see that they have shot up in price!

The price of Brexit maybe?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

That's the result of "fluid pricing" and happens all the time, although I imagine that the current weakness of the pound will be being factored into all cruise lines regular price changes.