Call us crazy, but gals want to know if pull out sofa can be moved!?

traveling with the gals in fall, and they are wondering if on the pull out sofa can be moved so that it opens facing the balcony? that way the ladies can get outside to smoke at night if they have to, without falling on the one in the sofa and potentially breaking some bones? the pictures we have seen with the pull out sofa do not leave much room to walk past the sofa when it is pulled out to get outside

thanks so much!

:eek:6_balcony_cabin_23.jpg

Edited by Host Walt

No. Way too long for the pretty small space to the door. The fourth berth is overhead because the "sofa" here is a two cushion loveseat that opens into a single person size bed which fills most of the space.

It sounds like maybe you're underestimating how small this cabin really is? Especially so with four people.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

traveling with the gals in fall, and they are wondering if on the pull out sofa can be moved so that it opens facing the balcony? that way the ladies can get outside to smoke at night if they have to, without falling on the one in the sofa and potentially breaking some bones? the pictures we have seen with the pull out sofa do not leave much room to walk past the sofa when it is pulled out to get outside

thanks so much!

:eek:6_balcony_cabin_23.jpg

Wouldn't a patch be easier?

Edited by Host Walt

Hummm, that second cabin looks oddly familiar! :eek:

since we are a family of 4 we had no issue with the space in cabin 4163 on the Westerdam. I would not do it with friends though unless it was really good friends and the 3rd used the pullman bed. There is NOT enough room for an adult to pass between the end of the sofa-bed when it is unfolded and the desk, unless you have very thin legs. Our 70 lb DD had no issues though.

The sofa cannot be moved, not that we tried, but it is very heavy.

we did fold up the end after dinner until bedtime so we could access the balcony. Our kids sleep in balls so it didn't matter which one was in that bed we could still kneel on it to get to the balcony door.:p

Umm..I don't see where the OP said there were four gals? There may be only three.. I would never want to be in a cabin with four adults & only one bathroom.. Even three Gals with one bathroom is pushing it.. If it were four adults, two cabins would be so much better..

Also agree that there is very little room to get outside once the couch is opened up for sleeping & wonder where the OP thinks it could be placed?

The poster who said that the OP may not be aware of the size of these cabins is probably right..

That's NOT a two-cushion loveseat...it's a one-cushion overgrown chair...two people can't sit on it at once...not really!

The room will be very tight with 3 once that's pulled out at night. Smokers will have to go cold turkey (not a bad thing).

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the ship!

That's NOT a two-cushion loveseat...it's a one-cushion overgrown chair...two people can't sit on it at once...not really!

The room will be very tight with 3 once that's pulled out at night. Smokers will have to go cold turkey (not a bad thing).

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the ship!

Look at the picture which the OP posted of the room.. IMO the couch actually has two cushions..

Look at the picture which the OP posted of the room.. IMO the couch actually has two cushions..

If you zoom in on the photo you'll see that what at a quick glance appears to be the division between two cushions is only a crease in the material.

If you zoom in on the photo you'll see that what at a quick glance appears to be the division between two cushions is only a crease in the material.

Thanks..Did Zoom in & agree with you..

Do any of the balcony cabins have a full size sofa? We only stayed in one balcony cabin & one Lanai & I don't remember if they had full size sofa's in them or not..

You can see it has the "small desk" with the angled end which means it has the overgrown chair. The crease makes it look like 2 cushions. We were disappointed in the size of the "Vista Suite" on the larger ships. I think they want you to go to the SY and SS cabins which are the step between the Vista Suites and Neptunes. Full size sofas are in the Vista Suites on the smaller ships (Veendam, etc.) We did 3 cruises in a row last year and had "Vista Suites" on all...so I was made well-aware of the differences. Two were on the Westerdam and one on the Veendam. Westerdams were these small cabins, Veendam were nice size (with LOTS of drawers.) This last cruise our friends were in the Vista Suite on the Oosterdam and they were so disappointed in the lack of room compared with the Veendam's.

Edited by janmcn

You can see it has the "small desk" with the angled end which means it has the overgrown chair. The crease makes it look like 2 cushions. We were disappointed in the size of the "Vista Suite" on the larger ships. I think they want you to go to the SY and SS cabins which are the step between the Vista Suites and Neptunes. Full size sofas are in the Vista Suites on the smaller ships (Veendam, etc.) We did 3 cruises in a row last year and had "Vista Suites" on all...so I was made well-aware of the differences. Two were on the Westerdam and one on the Veendam. Westerdams were these small cabins, Veendam were nice size (with LOTS of drawers.) This last cruise our friends were in the Vista Suite on the Oosterdam and they were so disappointed in the lack of room compared with the Veendam's.

Oh No..This is bad news..:( I don't even know which ship this photo is from..

We may also have a problem.. Our Friends want us to go with them on a cruise this Oct.. We live in Florida & will book a round trip out of Fort Lauderdale.. However, these Friends do not want to do a cruise longer than 10 days.. We on the other hand enjoy the longer cruises..

I found an 11 day on the Zeiderdam in Oct to the Panama Canal & our Friends agreed to it.. We normally book outside cabins but this time decided to book a Vista Cabin.. Since the Zeiderdam & Oosterdam are in the same category wonder if we will have enough room.. In addition I need a shower only cabin, since I have a difficult time getting in & out of the tub without help.. I'm quite short & the tubs are very high..

Serendipity: if you look on the Zuiderdam Deck Plans you will see some verandah cabins towards the aft that have shower only...they would be good for you most likely. (VC and VD cabins)

IMO though, the 'best value" on these ships are the "J" cabins on Main Deck (the ones on the deck plans that are squarish in shape) Great room, large couch, shower, easy-to-see closets. Save your money, have a "stable" ride, and enjoy the space! Friends of ours who visited us who had a verandah when we had one of those J cabins, were awestruck by how much more comfy we were!

To see photos, go to "Precruise in Amsterdam" , all the way to the end and you'll see three photos of J cabins on the Eurodam which are similar/same as those on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, etc.https://quiltingjan.smugmug.com/Travel/2010/Cruise-from-Amsterdam-to-NYC-o/Pre-Cruise-in-Amsterdam-1/