Open seating question

DocJohnB

I have 30+ cruises under my belt, but have only enjoyed the benefits of "open seating" on the last couple of cruises, including one on HAL. I enjoyed dining off the "regular" menu. My late wife had to have a low sodium diet on her last couple of cruises, but this was in the MDR.

On a just completed cruise (different line) although I was quite conscious of my choices when eating, I gained 7 pounds of recently lost weight. However, after 4 days home, I am back to the weight I started that cruise at. I realized the gain for what it was - the sodium/salt used in food preparation caused "water gain". So the question is:

Can I request (and receive) a special "low sodium" diet in open seating in the MDR? If so, how do I go about arranging this?

Also, what about in specialty dining venues?

My doctor has only recently "suggested" I watch the sodium intake. I DO NOT use table salt and never have.

Thanks for any responses.

Edited by DocJohnB

Yes, you can request low sodium dinners in open seating. Have your TA submit the request in advance of the cruise, then confirm the arrangements are in place after you board. It may not work well that first night, though, so be aware of that.

After that first dinner, you will be given a menu for the next night. You make your selections, and that meal will be prepared for you. When you arrive in open seating, your cabin number will be taken; your meal choice is recorded under that.

If you are not going to the dining room some evening, you will want to let your steward know. You will also want to talk to the folks at whatever specialty restaurant in advance, so your need can be accommodated. It would be a good idea to stop at the dining room after dinner in the specialty restaurant, so you can order your meal for the next night.

Sounds more complicated than it is.

As Ruth said. I found it pretty easy in Open. The first cruise I did the MDR the desk manager found me and brought the next nights menu for selection. One night it was forgotten ( I had a PG reservation the next (last) night so I didn't notice). I found the menu on my cabin door with a note apologizing and asking me to get it to the desk by 9:00am. :D

I can vouch for the food tasting better without the salt. We just don't use it at home, and really don't like it. (Neither does my blood pressure.) They were also able to make adjustments for my carb restriction.

In the Lido you are pretty much on your own.

Even though we don't need to be on a low sodium diet, I do make certain that we do not have a lot of salt at home and we watch everything we eat on the ship. Even in the Pinnacle Grill we ask for no salt and pepper on our steaks.

Another item besides soups with a lot of sodium -- sauces. So we order everything with the sauces.

... I do make certain that we do not have a lot of salt at home and we watch everything we eat on the ship. Even in the Pinnacle Grill we ask for no salt and pepper on our steaks.

Another item besides soups with a lot of sodium -- sauces. So we order everything with the sauces.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the logic of the latter statement escapes me.

Scott & Karen

Maybe I'm missing something, but the logic of the latter statement escapes me.

Scott & Karen

Thanks Scott and Karen. Confused me too!

Looks like a simple typo to me. "We order everything with[OUT] the sauces."