Can we Skype on Zuiderdam?

jeepers13

Our friend would very much like to join us on our next cruise on HAL, but she must teleconference once a week. Is this possible on Zuiderdam?

We've cruised many times before (never on HAL), and seen it possible here and there, but not on many.

Our friend would very much like to join us on our next cruise on HAL, but she must teleconference once a week. Is this possible on Zuiderdam?

We've cruised many times before (never on HAL), and seen it possible here and there, but not on many.

IF the Zuiderdam offers the unlimited internet package and your friend purchases the most expensive package they should be able to skype, internet permitting. The most expensive unlimited package allows for high speed including Skype.

Internet on board is not at the speed you are used to at home and not as reliable, either.

Problem is that it's not totally reliable so if it is an absolute requirement with no flexibility it could be an issue. What worked or didn't work yesterday may not work or will work tomorrow.

Finding cell service ashore won't be a problem for a teleconference. If you must do it on a sea day....different issue.

If your friend can control the teleconference time, and can delay a scheduled event without an issue, and they need voice only, then doing a cellular phone teleconference from the ship while at sea would be possible. Will be $2.50 a minute for your cell phone.

I would 't go on a cruise where I HAD to connect by cell phone at a specific time while at sea. If you have to check in once a week, at a time of your choosing, that would be OK for teleconference, not video.

Keep in mind, the ship will be in port most days during working hours, and shore cell service should be available.

Relying on ship Internet for a video conference is a non starter for anything important.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

I don't know if the Zuiderdam offers the unlimited package, but on the Westerdam I was able to skype with my sister in the UK from Gatun Lake when going through the Panama, and the reception was very good. But I wouldn't rely on it - probably your friend would have more luck skyping while in port.

I understand there's an app for cell phones and service is available on the ship.

It's $2.50 a minute?

Most cell phones will be able to connect to "cellular at sea" - no app required. Check with you carrier but the usual rate is $2.50 a minute for phone calls and 50 cents per text. Many carriers have plans you can buy to reduce these charges, but check before you leave.

Keep in mind, the ship will be in port most days during working hours, and shore cell service should be available.

Relying on ship Internet for a video conference is a non starter for anything important.

Whether or not your in port during working hours depends on where both locations are in the world. Just got back from a Europe Cruise and had a couple of conference calls with clients. We had to schedule them for late afternoon (almost evening) my time as I was generally at least at +6 hours, plus I did not want to cut too much into my port time.

Would never even consider doing any kind of video conference over the ship internet. Its way to slow.

We were on the Zuiderdam last October for a 26 day Med/TA cruise to FLL. We bought internet time on their lowest priced package and we were able to Skype (audio, not video) through the Med and also crossing the Atlantic. We had no problems with audio only Skype calls. Video calls were choppy and not reliable. At that time, the Zuiderdam offered only one speed, and you purchased it by blocks of time, or by the minute. The "by-the-minute" rate was really expensive and not worth it. But, the service was reasonably good. But, certainly not the speeds you are used to at home.

My business requires me to attend many conference calls and have done so on many HAL cruises. Best areas are those with an abundance of satellites - Caribbean, coastal, near land, etc. While crossing large spans of ocean or while in the mountains, fjords, and hinterlands of the Arctic/Antartic you will be more challenged. You'll have more luck on the ships with the tiered plans as they seem to be the updated internet ships. Agreeably, the early or late hours are always faster upload an download times. If you mostly have to listen vs do a lot of speaking, you might be in luck. When that is the case, my calls have all seemed to work quite well. When I have to speak a lot, the 1-2 second relay-delay can make on-going discussions more challenging.

With regards to your carrier and their phone call rates are outrageous. I can't recommend that. I have tried that option and end up with way too many dropped calls and frustration and a lot more when I get my bill!