From San Juan Airport to Ship?

philsr1939

Never flew into Jan Juan. How far is the Port. Best way to get to the port.Thanks

We take a taxi. Taxis use a zone system in San Juan, so it will be a fixed cost, plus $1 extra per bag. Last time it was around $21 for us, and took 10-15 minutes.

Also check the San Juan port of call forum for other ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Edited by clarea

Never flew into Jan Juan. How far is the Port. Best way to get to the port.Thanks

In answer to the distance question, Google Maps would have very very quickly told you that the distance is 13.7 km and takes 18 minutes without traffic.

Another quick search using TaxiFareFinder would have told you that the estimated taxi fare would be $33.73 not counting the $1 per suitcase and the $1 airport fee. The route that the taxi will take is 17.1 km and not 13.7 km. The estimated time by taxi will be 22 minutes.

Found it quickly and easily with Google. You could have done the same although the 2nd search took me a bit longer than the first one because Google Maps is totally easy to use while TaxiFareFinder is a bit less intuitive although also very easy to use.

DON

In answer to the distance question, Google Maps would have very very quickly told you that the distance is 13.7 km and takes 18 minutes without traffic.

Another quick search using TaxiFareFinder would have told you that the estimated taxi fare would be $33.73 not counting the $1 per suitcase and the $1 airport fee. The route that the taxi will take is 17.1 km and not 13.7 km. The estimated time by taxi will be 22 minutes.

Found it quickly and easily with Google. You could have done the same although the 2nd search took me a bit longer than the first one because Google Maps is totally easy to use while TaxiFareFinder is a bit less intuitive although also very easy to use.

DON

If everyone used Google there would be no need for this forum.Besides i would rather ask fellow cruisers.JMHO

I would second the taxi. They are easy to get and get you to the port so much faster than cruise line transfers as my EX and I found out on our first Southern Caribbean cruise. We made it to the ship, got our bags in the room, had something to eat and were sitting on our balcony with a glass of champagne watching the people that we had been standing in line with at the airport finally come up the gangway! :eek: Yeah we had paid for the transfers, but just ate the cost of it. Lesson learned!

DON

The taxi fare is incorrect as San Juan uses zone and set fares. As another person said it's about $20 and then $1 per bag. At the airport you tell them where you are going and they count how many bags and write the fare down on a paper that is given to you so there is no question at to the fare when you arrive.

There are TWO docking ports in San Juan. The Pan American port is closest to the airport. The Old San Juan port is further. To give an example of the taxi fare: this past Saturday (I was NOT cruising), I went from the airport to the Sheraton Old San Juan (which is right in front of the dock - you walk across the street and you are there!). I had one bag (an actual carry-on size, but I also had my daypack). It was just me and my bag - I was charged $23 dollars. The people who run the taxi rank will ask you 1)how many in your party 2) your destination and 3)how much luggage. You will get a fixed price on a piece of paper from them. I would venture a guess that going to Pan Am may be around $15-18 base and then add on.

Check which you depart from: I'm not an expert, but I believe only Carnival uses Old San Juan and RCCL and Celebrity use Pan Am; only because on Saturday, RCCL and Celebrity were at Pan Am (and left around 10pm) and a Carnival ship docked in front of my window sometime during the night and everyone debarked that morning.

Edited by slidergirl

There are TWO docking ports in San Juan. The Pan American port is closest to the airport. The Old San Juan port is further. To give an example of the taxi fare: this past Saturday (I was NOT cruising), I went from the airport to the Sheraton Old San Juan (which is right in front of the dock - you walk across the street and you are there!). I had one bag (an actual carry-on size, but I also had my daypack). It was just me and my bag - I was charged $23 dollars. The people who run the taxi rank will ask you 1)how many in your party 2) your destination and 3)how much luggage. You will get a fixed price on a piece of paper from them. I would venture a guess that going to Pan Am may be around $15-18 base and then add on.

Check which you depart from: I'm not an expert, but I believe only Carnival uses Old San Juan and RCCL and Celebrity use Pan Am; only because on Saturday, RCCL and Celebrity were at Pan Am (and left around 10pm) and a Carnival ship docked in front of my window sometime during the night and everyone debarked that morning.

Both cruise terminals are in the same fare zone, so the flat fare from the airport should be the same to either.

Your $23 fare was $19 flat fare plus $2 fuel surcharge plus $2 for your bags .