P&O VS Cunard

Hi

For those who cruised both P&O and Cunard how do they compare?

We have done many P&O Cruises but are trying Queen Victoria this time instead, not very impressed with Oriana last time.

Any observations and comparisons welcome.

Many Thanks

Darren

Well the layout is going to be a bit like Arcadia. Cunard tend to have a two tier dining set up as well as speciality restaurants. Formal is as described and generally enforced as is Jackets requirements on those nights and casual jacket required nights. They do more informative lectures and are generally brilliant on running sea days. The theatre has private boxes, not sure if these are on Victoria though.

Oriana is being offered for sale on a ship brokerage site for US$200,000,000.00 at the moment.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

We've cruised with quite a few different lines and numerous times with P&O but only once with Cunard on QM2.

What we especially liked about Cunard was the ship itself which was truly beautiful, more stunning than any other ship we've been on. We had a sheltered balcony cabin on Deck 5 and we were also delighted with it, both in terms of the furnishings and layout. The food was excellent in the MDR and there are lots of details over and above what you normally get on cruises like a welcoming half-bottle of bubbly in an ice bucket with champagne glasses in your cabin (even though it was our first cruise with them.) There is also the planetarium which was very popular and different to anything you find on other ships, but that may be just QM as well

On the down side we found it a bit too formal. You probably know you have to get dressed up every night but we had nearly half the nights as formals, and that was just too much. However even on the other nights it was very dressy and we both felt we had to wear the kind of outfits we used to wear on the P&O Informal (latterly called jacket required) but I don't know if that would apply on QV. There are obviously many more nationalities than you would meet on P&O and that was good but we just thought the formality pervaded every aspect of the ship and we didn't find it very relaxing.

My husband & I did a 4 night cruise on Queen Victoria last October.

She is a lovely ship but unfortunately Cunard haven't won us over from P&O.

$ instead of £ (yes we did know this in advance).

Probably because it was a short cruise (destination wise) all items in the shop had to have 20% VAT added.

15% automatically added at all drinks, including tea.

Tips considerably higher than P&to.

For us the entertainment didn't compare to P&O which we felt was much better.

Photos VERY expensive!

On the plus side, cabins ready as soon as you embarked.

Food very nice, especially the fish n chips in the Golden Lion Pub (get there early to get a seat!)

Here's a link to my photo album if you want to have a look at what she's like.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/waller2011/735M5s

I do like to take the odd photo or two!:)

Hope you enjoy QV.

Joan

We thought the QE (sister ship to the QV) was beautiful - very elegant. I would agree with tartanexile there is a more formal approach to the mdr although on our cruise, gents arriving without jackets on semi-formal night were lent one by the Maitre d' and just hung on the back of the chair - rather pointless really but perhaps a slight relaxation in some respects (this was in the Britannia restaurant). Or perhaps it was because it was the Med and a little more relaxed - or passenger demographic?

We found the waiting staff charming and rather more friendly than the somewhat impersonal waiting staff we have met on P&O although of course that's down to which waiters you get and could vary on either ship/cruiseline.

Entertainment we felt on a par with our previous experiences of P&O although on our last trip on Azura we felt the entertainment was significantly better. Whether that is just on Azura or it has generally improved across the board I don't know. The resident musicians on Cunard were excellent across a range of genres.

Gratuities and drinks prices are much more expensive on Cunard than P&O and there is a much more international mix of passengers. The Pub has superb fish and chips at lunchtime!!!

Despite having travelled quite a lot on relatively informal cruise lines we felt quite comfortable on board and did not feel the ambience or people we met any different or less friendly then those we meet on P&O.

I'd be happy to travel on either - and do!

So what did you ladies wear on the 'informal' dress code evenings please when your OHs were wearing a jacket? And although it states that a tie is not required for the men on these nights, would it be better for my husband to wear one?

Is it best to wear what I would wear on Smart nights on P&O? And would I be overdressed if I wore the dresses I might wear on Formal night on P&O?

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth for the first time in August and we would like to do the right thing, so any tips would be very gratefully received.

Thanks!

Edited by Scriv

So what did you ladies wear on the 'informal' dress code evenings please when your OHs were wearing a jacket? And although it states that a tie is not required for the men on these nights, would it be better for my husband to wear one?

Is it best to wear what I would wear on Smart nights on P&O? And would I be overdressed if I wore the dresses I might wear on Formal night on P&O?

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth for the first time in August and we would like to do the right thing, so any tips would be very gratefully received.

Thanks!

Exactly the same as I would wear on semi-formal or smart casual nights for P&O - smart trousers with floaty tops, dresses (cocktail, short, maxi) even smart tailored 3/4 trousers with pretty tops. Exactly the same as I've worn on other cruise lines for both smart casual and semi-formal and what I would take on P&O. The lines are quite blurred I think and you can dress up as much as you like really. The only real difference is DH had to wear a jacket - but has a linen one (finds that a little more relaxed) and often wears it with smart open neck shirts which he would wear for smart casual on other lines.

Which trip are you on?

Only a short trip unfortunately - Southampton to Hamburg on Aug 9th, the first leg of the Baltic cruise.

Thanks for the dress advice.

To continue with OP's requests for comparisons, could I ask a question re the dreaded question of gratuities? (Sorry) Given that prices and drinks service and gratuities are a lot more expensive on Cunard, is it ok to just pay those or is it the same dilemma we have on P&O where a lot of people feel they should pay the auto gratuities and an extra to the cabin steward and waiter?

Edited by Scriv

Only a short trip unfortunately - Southampton to Hamburg on Aug 9th, the first leg of the Baltic cruise.

Thanks for the dress advice.

To continue with OP's requests for comparisons, could I ask a question re the dreaded question of gratuities? (Sorry) Given that prices and drinks service and gratuities are a lot more expensive on Cunard, is it ok to just pay those or is it the same dilemma we have on P&O where a lot of people feel they should pay the auto gratuities and an extra to the cabin steward and waiter?

I'll miss you - we're on for a week to the Fjords at the end of August. Thought our paths might have crossed!

Yes the gratuities and drinks are a lot more expensive on Cunard. Basically especially since it's a fair bit more than P&O we just pay the auto gratuities although we did give our waiter and cabin steward a small extra tip as a gesture last time as they had been so personable and efficient. We got to know our table companions well enough to discuss the issue with them and no one was giving extra. We just had a little softening of the heart at the last minute!

Whilst their drinks on cunard are more expensive, their spirits are almost double measures and if ordered with coke, lemonade or tonic the mixer is included in the price.

I love cunard and would choose them over p&o every time, but they don't do the Caribbean like p&o do!

I tend to wear evening trousers and sparkly tops or cocktail style dresses on the informal evenings.

Thanks!

I wore a dress every night - the sort of dress I would have worn to semi-formal nights on P&O. On smart casual on P&O I might occasionally wear a summery dress but mainly wear trousers and a dressy top. I wouldn't have been comfortable being that 'casual' (although I regard it as smart rather than casual!). i guess it was worse because the other 6 at our table were Cunard regulars and really dressed up to the nines and did so on all their cruises. They wore the kind of dresses (although not full length) I would wear on formal nights on P&O so you'd be fine if you did that. I was prepared for it to some extent because I read the Cunard boards that it was dressier than P&O. i didn't find the lines were as blurred as they are on P&O so maybe that's a good thing.

Thanks ever so much tartanexile1. I am definitely getting the picture about the differences in the dress code and will dress up accordingly. Did your husband wear a tie? Mine will be wearing what he wears on Smart nights on P&O which is a suit and smart open neck nice shirt but I think he is going to bring a tie with him on this one though just in case. I feel more prepared now. Thanks.

Well, tottoncruiser, a few topics have been covered already!

Edited by Scriv

Thanks ever so much tartanexile1. I am definitely getting the picture about the differences in the dress code and will dress up accordingly. Did your husband wear a tie? Mine will be wearing what he wears on Smart nights on P&O which is a suit and smart open neck nice shirt but I think he is going to bring a tie with him on this one though just in case. I feel more prepared now. Thanks.

Well, tottoncruiser, a few topics have been covered already!

Exactly what he did and he wore the tie after the first night. He usually dresses same way as your husband but def felt happier wearing a tie. Like I said the others at our table got very dressed up and think that influenced him

We have cruised with P&O, Celebrity and more recently Cunard. I would say in my case I have worn dresses every evening whatever the stated dress code dictated and have been happy. I have a good selection of dresses as we dance socially every weekend at home so it's easy for me to pack, they're not all dressy dresses by any means. Mind you if we were going out for a meal at home a dress would be worn......I must just be a dress person! I have commented when on our cruises that for all the talk of dress codes on the lines we have sailed everyone has worn similar styles across the lines. Dresses, trousers, skirts....the lot. I think so long as you are comfortable and confident in what you wear then it's the right outfit for you.

The difference is more for the men and on Cunard that's the need for a jacket in the evening. My husband takes his tux for formal nights and on P&O and celebrity took his lighter coloured suit. But last year bought a couple of linen jackets from M&S and wore them, travelling in the darker one. He wears these with either shirt and tie (and trousers of course) or just a nice short sleeved shirt without tie.

Enjoy your holiday

[quote

I love cunard and would choose them over p&o every time, but they don't do the Caribbean like p&o do!

You will be pleased to know (and we have booked) Cunard with the QM2 are sailing from Southampton on 19.11.2016 doing STN/NY/Caribbbean/NY/STN.

Probably the only way to sail.:D

We have just returned from our first P&O cruise on Britannia, we have only ever sailed with Cunard. There is a difference, and the first night we were shocked to see folk in casual dress even t-shirts in the pub. That would not be allowed on Cunard but it does make for a relaxing atmosphere. The majority of people did dress for dinner on Britannia and I have to say the food on Britannia was better than Cunard. The balcony cabins and bathrooms were better as were the pool areas but I would have no hesitation in going back to Cunard.

• 2 months later...

Would I feel overdressed on Queen Elizabeth on Informal Night in a maxi black and white dress please? Am packing for Sunday and dithering lol. Help please.

And how about dress during the day folks? Any tips?

Edited by Scriv

I went on the Oriana (1st time with P&O) with 3 gals and we dressed up every night regardless of the dress code :D.

During the day you cant go wrong with white jeans or trousers and nice tops.

I saved a pretty day dress for our last day at sea, but the weather was dreadful so on went the trews.

Well the layout is going to be a bit like Arcadia. Cunard tend to have a two tier dining set up as well as speciality restaurants. Formal is as described and generally enforced as is Jackets requirements on those nights and casual jacket required nights. They do more informative lectures and are generally brilliant on running sea days. The theatre has private boxes, not sure if these are on Victoria though.

Oriana is being offered for sale on a ship brokerage site for US$200,000,000.00 at the moment.

Regards John

Hi, do you have a link to the brokerage site? I thought P&O had recently said she wasn't for sale. Just curious...