Where are the ships?

HaliMakai

I love checking the Port Everglades web cam on Saturday and Sunday, watching the ships saill away. It looks like there is only one ship in port on Saturdays and two on Sundays the last couple of weekends. Every time I have sailed out of that port, there are at least 4 ships in port making traffic a nightmare. Where are the other ships?

I like watching the port cams too. Today only Oasis OTS is sailing from Port Everglades, but tomorrow Carnival Conquest and Independence OTS will be in port. Conquest has been sailing out on Saturdays recently along with Oasis.

My guess is that OP's question isn't as much literal (where is a specific ship at this point in time) as speculative, of sorts: Are fewer ships sailing to/from Port Everglades lately than usual, and if so - where are they docking instead of Port Everglades?

I haven't looked into it, but perhaps you could check out cruisett and see if more ships are now sailing from other Florida ports, which could account for a reduction from Port Everglades. IDK.....interesting question though!

Edited by undercat

The Princess, Celebrity and Holland America ships that home port in Ft Lauderdale for the winter are just finishing up their Alaska and Europe summer seasons and will be back over the next few weeks.

On some weekends during season there are 16 -20 ships that pass thru Port Everglades.

Question, from someone who hasn't yet sailed from Fort Lauderdale (planning to sail from there in June 2016).....I see some cruise lines mentioning a Fort Lauderdale port, and others mentioning a Port Everglades port. Cruisett has these as two separate schedules, but a search on CC brought up a post that says for cruise ships (except Princess for some reason), the ships sailing from Fort Lauderdale the city are actually sailing from Port Everglades the port.

I check the webcams for Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale around sailaway time on weekends, and watch the Fort Lauderdale cam panning around the port area. I watched Oasis from the Fort Lauderdale cam today, then switched to the Port Everglades cam.

So, when the Conquest is sailing from Port Everglades (http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/536-Port_Everglades_Florida/September_2015/) and the Royal ships are sailing from Fort Lauderdale (http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/September_2015/) are these considered two separate places?

As a side note, are the sailaway groups (threads?) in the HAL subforum the only sailaway cam groups on CC?

As someone else mentioned, during the summer months there are only a few cruises per week from Ft Lauderdale - Carnival and RCI. Starting this month (and running through next Spring), the other lines will begin their Winter schedules from Port Everglades (Princess, HAL, Celebrity).

Undercat: when you see Ft Lauderdale and Port Everglades mentioned, they are the same port facility. Port Everglades is the name of the port area which is located in Ft Lauderdale. People use the terms interchangeably.

Edited by joepeka

Undercat: when you see Ft Lauderdale and Port Everglades mentioned, they are the same port facility. Port Everglades is the name of the port area which is located in Ft Lauderdale. People use the terms interchangeably.

Thank you! :cool:

ETA: I just looked at the cruisett page for Fort Lauderdale, and on January 3, 2016 there will be six ships in port! December 27, 2015 there will be SEVEN ships in port! Yikes!

Edited by undercat

Question, from someone who hasn't yet sailed from Fort Lauderdale (planning to sail from there in June 2016).....I see some cruise lines mentioning a Fort Lauderdale port, and others mentioning a Port Everglades port. Cruisett has these as two separate schedules, but a search on CC brought up a post that says for cruise ships (except Princess for some reason), the ships sailing from Fort Lauderdale the city are actually sailing from Port Everglades the port.

I check the webcams for Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale around sailaway time on weekends, and watch the Fort Lauderdale cam panning around the port area. I watched Oasis from the Fort Lauderdale cam today, then switched to the Port Everglades cam.

So, when the Conquest is sailing from Port Everglades (http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/536-Port_Everglades_Florida/September_2015/) and the Royal ships are sailing from Fort Lauderdale (http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/September_2015/) are these considered two separate places?

As a side note, are the sailaway groups (threads?) in the HAL subforum the only sailaway cam groups on CC?

Port Everglades is the port for Ft. Lauderdale. They are one in the same.

I love checking the Port Everglades web cam on Saturday and Sunday, watching the ships saill away. It looks like there is only one ship in port on Saturdays and two on Sundays the last couple of weekends. Every time I have sailed out of that port, there are at least 4 ships in port making traffic a nightmare. Where are the other ships?

It hasn't been just the past few weekends, it has been this way all summer. This is quite normal for the summer time at Port Everglades. In just a few weeks when all the European deployed ships return for the winter season the number of ships each day will increase dramatically. During the summer the bulk of the cruise ships are in Europe and Alaska.

Edited by Eng23

Hopefully sailing the high seas:)

It hasn't been just the past few weekends, it has been this way all summer. This is quite normal for the summer time at Port Everglades. In just a few weeks when all the European deployed ships return for the winter season the number of ships each day will increase dramatically. During the summer the bulk of the cruise ships are in Europe and Alaska.

You are totally right, in the next few weeks the port will be packed again, I know Allure of the seas will be back in a few weeks from Europe. By November there will be a ton of ships to watch leave port:)

Looking back both times I sailed from there was in the winter. I just remember tons of traffic getting into the port and waiting for several ships to get turned around and sail out before us. Beautiful to watch all of the sail away.

Port Everglades is the port for Ft. Lauderdale. They are one in the same.

Sometimes, apparently, they are the same. However I just went to the cruisett site mentioned by a couple of people above. This December (the only time-window I checked), Port Everglades has one Carnival ship in and out every few days. Fort Lauderdale on the other hand has much traffic, including 5 departures on the day we embark.

Sometimes, apparently, they are the same. However I just went to the cruisett site mentioned by a couple of people above. This December (the only time-window I checked), Port Everglades has one Carnival ship in and out every few days. Fort Lauderdale on the other hand has much traffic, including 5 departures on the day we embark.

I've noticed this on CruiseTT and am not sure why they divide it up like this. The ships are all sailing from the same place. Try using this site.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-fort-lauderdale-florida.html

There is also an app for the port as well. Not sure if there is one for android devices but definitely for Apple products.

Edited by Scrapnana

There is quite a bunch of us who watch the HAL ships and talk back and forth on the HAL board on sail-away days.

HAL ships start to return to Ft Lauderdale on:

Oosterdam -- Oct 16

Westerdam -- Oct 17

Eurodam -- Oct 18

Veendam -- Oct 21

That is just for starters. By the middle of November you will see lots of ships.

And Australia

Thank you -- I forgot about Australia.

And I really should have remembered as 2 HAL are heading are being moved over to P&O to do Australian and New Zealand cruises.

In fact they are finishing their present HAL cruises and will be heading to dry dock for major overhauls before they begin their new lives with P&O.

I will miss the Ryndam -- we have quite a few sailing days on her.