Gem delayed boarding?

luvs2beachit

Anyone else get a call from NCL advising that the Jan. 18 boarding of the Gem is delayed and not to come to the terminal until 12:30. Is this strange or is this a usual situation? Never had this with the Breakaway and I haven't been on the Gem in a few years.

Thanks

Not an answer to your question but I'm interested in how many families with kids are on this cruise as I'd like to do it next year

There are always a few families with kids but I'm Interested in if it appears to be more than usual and if the families are school age kids.

Wouldn't want my kids to be the only ones me the ship which I'm sure they won't be but just wondering if the number of kids seems high or low in your opinion for a mid January cruise as the NYC public schools are all in session

I homeschool

If you can report back while still in the terminal it would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fog might be a factor later in the morning.

But, based on AIS data, it looks as if the GEM is still quite a distance away - still out of radar tracking range (aside from satellite) at 2 AM ... probably running full speed; and, still 6 to 8 hours from getting NY's Lower Bay.

Scheduled arrival is 10 AM and even she can dock at 8:30 or 9 AM - it will typically take 2 to 3 hours for the turnaround before embarkation can start ... which would definitely result in late boarding.

For those that asked before and booked flights around noon (hopefully, not sooner) - this isn't going to look good. However, airports & flights could well be delayed as well ... allowing some time.

For most sailing, including the last Caribbean trip - the GEM was not far from the coastline, perhaps 50 to 75 nm at this hour and sailing under the VZ Bridge around 6 AM ... not this morning. Good luck to all.

Fog might be a factor later in the morning.

But, based on AIS data, it looks as if the GEM is still quite a distance away - still out of radar tracking range (aside from satellite) at 2 AM ... probably running full speed; and, still 6 to 8 hours from getting NY's Lower Bay.

Scheduled arrival is 10 AM and even she can dock at 8:30 or 9 AM - it will typically take 2 to 3 hours for the turnaround before embarkation can start ... which would definitely result in late boarding.

For those that asked before and booked flights around noon (hopefully, not sooner) - this isn't going to look good. However, airports & flights could well be delayed as well ... allowing some time.

For most sailing, including the last Caribbean trip - the GEM was not far from the coastline, perhaps 50 to 75 nm at this hour and sailing under the VZ Bridge around 6 AM ... not this morning. Good luck to all.

Do you ever sleep or are you the NYC News Team 24/7 coverage guy?

Do you ever sleep or are you the NYC News Team 24/7 coverage guy?

G;):pd morning, early birds ... short answer, neither. Just happened to be awake after taking an early nap (out of town this past weekend & slept late) & checked info from other "feeds", since reading the initial posts earlier.

Well, it's foggy and folks onboard finally got the VZ Bridge in sight, GEM is doing 11 knots coasting up near Coney Island - doesn't look like she can dock till around 9 AM. Some anxious folks are going to panic & worry with "tight" ground & air connections ... hopefully, CBP will get their acts together inside the building & everyone who must rush off can do so and get to their destination safely.

Easy linked screenshot for Gem's live webcam, via ShipMate mobile app -

2caa10a9286cffb3628c013f3d207fb3.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Not an answer to your question but I'm interested in how many families with kids are on this cruise as I'd like to do it next year

There are always a few families with kids but I'm Interested in if it appears to be more than usual and if the families are school age kids.

Wouldn't want my kids to be the only ones me the ship which I'm sure they won't be but just wondering if the number of kids seems high or low in your opinion for a mid January cruise as the NYC public schools are all in session

I homeschool

If you can report back while still in the terminal it would be appreciated

we were on the Dec 28-jan 8 sailing. there were many teens on board, and a lot of littles. the teens were predominantly from Canada as they were still on winter break until we returned (unlike US schools that went back on the 2nd/3rd.). Also, a lot of folks from across the pond. Best bet is to get your child into the kids club - he will meet kids there if they are on board.

Hi, yes, we have our 7 year old son with us. hoping to find others for him to play with onboard.

I think this period of January (18th - 27th) is school vacation for many NYC area private schools. There should be many children on board.

Edited by Buford T Justiice

I think this period of January (18th - 27th) is school vacation for many NYC area private schools. There should be many children on board.

Does this cruise arrive back in NYC on Saturday Jan 28?

Edited by Crusin6

I agree here....I'm in the airline industry and the last two weeks are busy with families and kids on vacation who have these two weeks off. :)