$$ Issues with RCI.

918baker

Restitution would be appreciated but I'm just doubtful I'll even see my money after being laughed at today. :o Still in shock. What company does that?

I'm not really trying to defend the TA Company today - but I would bet that they have nearly zero training and likely zero practice in how to deal with fraud cases like this and that the laughter is a coping mechanism. Not a good choice at all - but probably more a nervous coping thing than true laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Elliot has been a GODSEND. Everyone else.... well.. I'll be getting my blowtorch ready. I'll have a couple of hours of internet time on the ship after boarding and before departure :evilsmile::cool:

This is why I still think you get your money. This story would look horrible for rccl and the corporate TA company if printed in the Sunday paper. I read that column in the paper each week and none of the stories are as crazy and interesting as yours. You will get your money back or both of those companies will get bad press that will cost them many times what is owed to you.

918, you have been a lot more patient with this nonsense than I would have been! I tried this approach before with great results: tell RCI that as you are beginning to suspect fraud that you will contact their internal audit department to report this situation as a suspected fraud if this is not resolved to your satisfaction by close of business on Monday. Yes, I know we all think this is your MIA travel agent, but it could be a rotten RCI employee.). I had to do this one time with United regarding double charging me for airline tickets and giving me the royal runaround when I tried to get it resolved. You would be surprised how quickly such situations are resolved when you threaten to sic the auditors on them. I am an internal auditor, and I can tell you that management and the operations people hate it when internal audit starts nosing around asking questions, especially when the "f" word is mentioned.

Hopefully it won't come to that and they'll get back to you tomorrow with good news.

Do you or anyone know if I could contact RCCL's internal audit dept or if it would have to be my TA? Hate not having full control over my own reservation :(

Fantastic idea though. No one likes to be audited for anything.

I'm not really trying to defend the TA Company today - but I would bet that they have nearly zero training and likely zero practice in how to deal with fraud cases like this and that the laughter is a coping mechanism. Not a good choice at all - but probably more a nervous coping thing than true laughter.

That is quite possible! She was just so condescending the rest of the time that I really started to get heated over it :mad: She's senior management, crappily trained or not she shouldn't condescend to a client. Argh. Still hoping she'll call with news. I'll take the condescension if we can make progress.

This is why I still think you get your money. This story would look horrible for rccl and the corporate TA company if printed in the Sunday paper. I read that column in the paper each week and none of the stories are as crazy and interesting as yours. You will get your money back or both of those companies will get bad press that will cost them many times what is owed to you.

Yeah this situation is NUTS. My friend that's cruising with me and has posted a couple of times on here said that we should take the TA on People's Court or other daytime TV if we can't get the money another way :'):')

Very thankful for the Elliot team.

918Baker I am so sorry this has happened to you, From reading all these comments, I do think that your travel agent committed fraud. I also think Royal Caribbean is in a tough spot, they can't actually accuse your agent of fraud without 100% proof, which I don't think they have. Did you ever get anything in writing from your agent stating that RCI made a 'mistake" and charged your card in error and because of that you will a $250 SBC from RCI? any mention of the sbc? I think your agent used the $250 to pacify you at the time and hoped she would figure something out at the time of your final payment and obviously did not. If you do have something in writing that might help your case and prove your agent was well aware of the "error"

918Baker I am so sorry this has happened to you, From reading all these comments, I do think that your travel agent committed fraud. I also think Royal Caribbean is in a tough spot, they can't actually accuse your agent of fraud without 100% proof, which I don't think they have. Did you ever get anything in writing from your agent stating that RCI made a 'mistake" and charged your card in error and because of that you will a $250 SBC from RCI? any mention of the sbc? I think your agent used the $250 to pacify you at the time and hoped she would figure something out at the time of your final payment and obviously did not. If you do have something in writing that might help your case and prove your agent was well aware of the "error"

Nothing in writing from RCCL unfortunately. All of it was verbal from my TA, I kept asking for emailed confirmations of the OBC and she said she would send confirmations of everything when the refund got sorted. I do have written messages where she confirms the OBC at later points but nothing specifically saying what the OBC is in reference to.

I have miles of pages of communication of us talking about this fraud since it occurred in September. Until a week ago I had no idea to think that my TA was lying to me so it's still an adjustment to realize that everything I thought I knew as fact about what has happened since September simply isn't so. :(

I'm 10000% sure that was a joke. :) Besides, even with a serious suggestion I wouldn't do it!

I thought so too, but really did not want to see anyone take it seriously.

At this point, you can probably write off RCCL as being any help. As far as the internal audit department suggestion, if RCCL's books balance (and I suspect they do), their audit team would probably not do much. The consumer advocate may still have some success, so let that play out.

Since it is really possible that RCCL will do nothing more about the missing $1,400, perhaps it is time to pivot and try to get something for your pain, time and wine budget. It is likely there is a record with RCCL of your phone calls and how much time you have spent with them. What you could try is ask them to give you an OBC for all the time you have spent talking with them without resolution. You might get a sympathetic ear and a little chunk change for another massage or fabulous bottle of wine. It is worth asking.

The parent TA company rep calling you dear and laughing about the Error and Omissions insurance needs a smack across the back of her head. Also, unless I am mistaken, the Error and Omissions insurance is for the business in case they are sued, not to file customer claims. Regardless, the TA's CS rep is a jerk.

I do not know if you have spoken to anyone at your bank or credit union, but you still might want to try it. Explain the entire thing from beginning to end and see if they will dispute the 1,400 from September. It is a long shot, but your bank works for you, so you might find they are willing to do more.

One more thing: multiple the number of hours you have spent on this horror show by what you make a hour. If that equation is close to $1,400, time to write it off as a loss. In approximately 1 year, you will not worry about the money, but you will remember how the emotional toll dampened your vacation.

Good luck and Godspeed and please have a terrific cruise.

Edited by coolbluegreenseas

Nothing in writing from RCCL unfortunately. All of it was verbal from my TA, I kept asking for emailed confirmations of the OBC and she said she would send confirmations of everything when the refund got sorted. I do have written messages where she confirms the OBC at later points but nothing specifically saying what the OBC is in reference to.

I have miles of pages of communication of us talking about this fraud since it occurred in September. Until a week ago I had no idea to think that my TA was lying to me so it's still an adjustment to realize that everything I thought I knew as fact about what has happened since September simply isn't so. :(

Well at this point, you have nothing to loose, I would tell both RCI and the Travel Agency manager you have been speaking to you, that you have in writing that your agent offered you in September a $250 sbc because of this mix up. To me, it kind of proves that you did nothing wrong and that the agent was taking responsibility and was aware or the error. Hopefully they will see it that way as well. It's worth a shot. Plus the fact if the SBC was from the agent,,especially $250 which is a lot, might be seen as rebating, which RCI prohibits. Just trying to help.

Do you or anyone know if I could contact RCCL's internal audit dept or if it would have to be my TA? Hate not having full control over my own reservation :(

Fantastic idea though. No one likes to be audited for anything.

Forget this... RCCL Executive office already has looked into this. This is nothing more than accounting. Your never step would be to dispute for fraud when you are ready....

Edited by JVilleGal

Forget this... RCCL Executive office already has looked into this. This is nothing more than accounting. Your never step would be to dispute for fraud when you are ready....

I too think you should contact your CC company, explain the situation and see what the next step would be for you to dispute the charge. They may say you have to wait while the 2 companies investigate or they may get involved with contacting both companies.

You want to call to get it notated on your account as well.

I too think you should contact your CC company, explain the situation and see what the next step would be for you to dispute the charge. They may say you have to wait while the 2 companies investigate or they may get involved with contacting both companies.

You want to call to get it notated on your account as well.

918Baker - I know you have already had this card closed - have you already had this conversation with the bank?

I hope you get some updates today! Fingers crossed for you that today is the day they figure it all out and someone starts processing your refund. It will mark the 4th work day since Elliot was involved!

~Theresa

I was really hoping to read all the way through this thread and see a happy ending!

Yes, I would talk to the fraud dept for your CC before your cruise and ask what your next move should be after your cruise.

I would request more OBC and a discount off a next cruise in addition to your OBC from RCCL because they are at fault for accepting your cc in payment for someone else's cruise. In my experience a CC payment must be applied to the balance of the cardholder's cruise or that of someone he is linked with sailing on the same cruise. No third party payments are allowed otherwise unless for OBC or gifts.

For that reason RCCL accepted that payment in error and owes you compensation.

The vast majority of TA's are hard working conscientious professionals. You, unfortunately, got a sloppy or even ethics challenged one who thinks if she avoids you long enough you'll give up.

I wonder if Galveston has a tv station that has a consumer advocate. Ours in Jacksonville (FL) has done wonders for people who have been, to put it politely, screwed.

Last, every transaction with a cruise line generates an agent and a passenger confirmation. Every client should receive their copy at each stage of their booking. Check it over every time. Sometimes things like OBC can disappear. I know OP had no knowledge that there was a $1400 transaction until it was too late. If anyone else should get an unexpected charge like that, insist the TA send you the passenger confirmation that was generated. In OP's case, the TA knew the money was not applied to her account but to the other cruiser's as soon as she received the confirmations.

A quick call by the agent to RCCL would have taken care of this before it started.

Dear OP, I am so sorry for the frustration and worry that is ruining what should be a time of eager anticipation. Hopefully the cruise will relieve the knot in the pit of your stomach and it will give you joyful days and nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was really hoping to read all the way through this thread and see a happy ending!

Yes, I would talk to the fraud dept for your CC before your cruise and ask what your next move should be after your cruise.

I would request more OBC and a discount off a next cruise in addition to your OBC from RCCL because they are at fault for accepting your cc in payment for someone else's cruise. In my experience a CC payment must be applied to the balance of the cardholder's cruise or that of someone he is linked with sailing on the same cruise. No third party payments are allowed otherwise unless for OBC or gifts.

Is that a policy of RCCI? I paid for my son's honeymoon cruise on Carnival using my credit card. I made the reservation in his name and paid with my credit card. I was not on that cruise.

RCCL happily accepted my credit card when I paid for my in-laws cruise that was a gift from us, nobody asked me to explain why I was paying for someone else's cruise. It's not that uncommon to make payments for someone who doesn't have a card of their own at all.

I looked more into errors and omissions insurance last night. Here is what I found:

1. It does not cover fraud

2. It does not cover intentional negligence

3. It does not cover illegal activity

4. It covers economic losses only.

So to keep that option open for you, I think it is important to drop the "fraud" word in conversations with RCCL and the parent TL company. If the parent TL company insists on calling this an innocent mistake (which we all know is a total load of crap), then go ahead and roll with that as that is exactly what errors and omissions insurance was meant for. It appears that using the word fraud to the parent TL company could only be bad for you at this point it appear.

Hoping for a positive resolution for you today.

I looked more into errors and omissions insurance last night. Here is what I found:

1. It does not cover fraud

2. It does not cover intentional negligence

3. It does not cover illegal activity

4. It covers economic losses only.

So to keep that option open for you, I think it is important to drop the "fraud" word in conversations with RCCL and the parent TL company. If the parent TL company insists on calling this an innocent mistake (which we all know is a total load of crap), then go ahead and roll with that as that is exactly what errors and omissions insurance was meant for. It appears that using the word fraud to the parent TL company could only be bad for you at this point it appear.

Hoping for a positive resolution for you today.

If it were determined to be fraud - it would only mean that the insurance company won't pay - that the TA would need to pay directly. More pain on the TA. That's for the TA to argue with their insurance carrier. OP doesn't care who pays her as long as she gets her money back.

But - she could - ask to speak directly with the E & O insurance rep about the "innocent" mistake. It might light a fire under them.

OP - did you get anything in writing when your $1400 was charged?

Not a true statement. I have booked and paid for few cruises for family members...Two this year...All through a TA on my RCCL Credit Card. Got double points too[emoji106]

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Not a true statement. I have booked and paid for few cruises for family members...Two this year...All through a TA on my RCCL Credit Card. Got double points too[emoji106]

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

I have also paid for my family members cruises, honeymoons etc. with CC in both my name or my husbands name with out my own name being on the reservation. To do this you do need the Booking #

I guess things have really loosened up. I hadn't had a reason to use my card for someone else's cruise in the last few years. That's how it used to be, to protect the cruise lines from fraudulent use of credit cards. I wonder whose name was given as the cardholder.

i recently covered the deposit for our daughter when she booked herself, cousin and Aunt on the two April 2018 Oasis sailings my husband & I are on..She will reimburse me when she gets back home. She was visiting us for a week and didn't have the one CC she would have normally used. We met with our TA who linked our reservations.

I've been following this thread also and so sad to see no resolution. I didn't see this listed as a suggestion but has OP reported this to the Better Business Bureau? They do handle fraud issues and no company wants complaint against them with the BBB. Also as other's have stated, contest the charge with your credit card company,