Space Comparisons

Cruise-y

Could somebody give me a subjective breakdown of the space comparisons between a PH and a veranda suite? I think the posted differences are like 420 to 280 sq ft. That seems like a lot, but I know a PH has a much larger walk-in closet and a bigger bathroom, which may take up a lot of that. I'm wondering about actual living room space, because both have a "suite" area with a table and sofa. The PH veranda is longer but not necessarily wider? Thanks

Could somebody give me a subjective breakdown of the space comparisons between a PH and a veranda suite? I think the posted differences are like 420 to 280 sq ft. That seems like a lot, but I know a PH has a much larger walk-in closet and a bigger bathroom, which may take up a lot of that. I'm wondering about actual living room space, because both have a "suite" area with a table and sofa. The PH veranda is longer but not necessarily wider? Thanks

O class ships the living space where the sofa is will be much larger

I think the cabin width is also larger you can pass between the table/chairs at the end of the bed comfortably in the PH

there is not table at the end of the bed in a Veranda cabin but still you can pass

ph

penthouse-suite-sm.jpg

veranda cabin

concierge-level-veranda-stateroom-sm.jpg

You asked for subjective, so here's my breakdown. Hubby and I were in Marina veranda for a one week cruise. Although it was more spacious than other verandas we've experienced, we found the closet placement a bit awkward when we were dressing at the same time. Friends had a PH and it felt MUCH roomier. Our next O cruise, also on Marina, is 12 days and we have booked a PH.

o-staterooms-3d-a-con-ver-sm.jpg

When Marina and Riviera were first introduced we went through agonies with tape measures and slide rules before deciding that, for want of a better way to put it, their Penthouses are the size of two standard cabins joined together, with the square footage of the wall which would normally divide the two cabins excised.

o-staterooms-3d-penthouse-sm.jpg

With the exception of those cabins, or Penthouse Suites, which are described as having "extended verandas", mostly located on Deck 7, all cabin verandas share a common width (by which I mean the distance from the outside cabin door to the veranda railing). The length of each veranda is equal to the forward to aft measurement of its' adjoining cabin.

b_151539.jpg

Edited by JimandStan

When Marina and Riviera were first introduced we went through agonies with tape measures and slide rules before deciding that, for want of a better way to put it, their Penthouses are the size of two standard cabins joined together, with the square footage of the wall which would normally divide the two cabins excised.

With the exception of those cabins, or Penthouse Suites, which are described as having "extended verandas", mostly located on Deck 7, all cabin verandas share a common width (by which I mean the distance from the outside cabin door to the veranda railing). The length of each veranda is equal to the forward to aft measurement of its' adjoining cabin.

b_151539.jpg

Thanks to all above who have responded. This has been most helpful.

b_151539.jpg

Are you saying that the Riviera/Marina PH is double the width of their veranda cabins?

If so, I don't agree.

Looking at the diagrams, there is no way that you could add the bed from the veranda into the PH (thus having 2 beds foot to foot) and still have the space that the veranda cabin has at the foot of the bed. In fact, I don't even think that you could have 2 beds in the PH foot-to-foot, never mind the extra space at the foot of the bed.

At least not looking at those diagrams - unless the diagrams are not to equal scale.

Are you saying that the Riviera/Marina PH is double the width of their veranda cabins?

If so, I don't agree.

Looking at the diagrams, there is no way that you could add the bed from the veranda into the PH (thus having 2 beds foot to foot) and still have the space that the veranda cabin has at the foot of the bed. In fact, I don't even think that you could have 2 beds in the PH foot-to-foot, never mind the extra space at the foot of the bed.

At least not looking at those diagrams - unless the diagrams are not to equal scale.

I said that the Penthouses are the width of two standard cabins less the width of the wall which would normally divide them, and I stand by that description.

I wonder if someone currently sailing on Marina/Riviera in a PH and is following this thread can measure the length of the bed and then see if another one just like it (plus the space at the foot of the bed in a standard cabin) can fit into the remaining space between the bed and the wall of the PH. I don't imagine the dividing wall is all that very thick.

That should settle it one way or another :D

TIA.

Edited by Paulchili

I said that the Penthouses are the width of two standard cabins less the width of the wall which would normally divide them, and I stand by that description.

Riviera and Marina PH is approximately equal to 1 1/2 times the square footage of a "standard" stateroom. PH category is 350 sq ft + 70 sq ft veranda ... a "standard" veranda is 235 sq ft + 50 sq ft veranda ... a "standard" deluxe oceanview is 240 sq ft ... and a "standard" inside is 175 sq ft.

So, if you are using the inside category as your measure of "standard" then ... and ONLY then ... is a PH twice the size.

Riviera and Marina PH is approximately equal to 1 1/2 times the square footage of a "standard" stateroom. PH category is 350 sq ft + 70 sq ft veranda ... a "standard" veranda is 235 sq ft + 50 sq ft veranda ... a "standard" deluxe oceanview is 240 sq ft ... and a "standard" inside is 175 sq ft.

So, if you are using the inside category as your measure of "standard" then ... and ONLY then ... is a PH twice the size.

Yes yes, I know all about the square footage quotations-

That's why I mentioned agonizing over tape measures. etc.

But if you have ever stayed in one of those Penthouses, then you know how truly spacious they are:

50pg-vertical.jpg

The second bed would absolutely fit, with room to spare

Yes yes, I know all about the square footage quotations-

That's why I mentioned agonizing over tape measures. etc.

But if you have ever stayed in one of those Penthouses, then you know how truly spacious they are:

50pg-vertical.jpg

The second bed would absolutely fit, with room to spare

Yes, I have stayed in those PHs and indeed they are quite spacious - but not double the size of a veranda cabin.

If bigmjh's numbers are correct - and I believe that they are - then that proves it.

As the balconies of both cabins are the same depth, if the PH was double the width of a veranda then the square footage of its balcony should be double -i.e. 100 sq. ft. Instead it's only 70 - vs 50 sq. ft for the veranda balcony.

Yes, I have stayed in those PHs and indeed they are quite spacious - but not double the size of a veranda cabin.

If bigmjh's numbers are correct - and I believe that they are - then that proves it.

As the balconies of both cabins are the same depth, if the PH was double the width of a veranda then the square footage of its balcony should be double -i.e. 100 sq. ft. Instead it's only 70 - vs 50 sq. ft for the veranda balcony.

Reread my original post.

Double the size less the wall!

Reread my original post.

Double the size less the wall!

Here is my dilemma.

Looking at the deck plan of Marina, deck 10 has verandas and PHs next door to each other. The length of the cabins (including the balconies) is the same - the width is different.

The official sq ft of verandas is 282 (with balcony) and that of PH is 420 (with balcony). As the cabins are rectangles of the same length, for the PH to be the double width of a veranda, its sq ft should be 564 sq ft.

At 420, it is a full 144 sq ft short of this. 144 sq ft is a very significant size - in fact it is 1/2 of the sq ft of a veranda cabin. Therefore, this would make the PH roughly 1 and 1/2 the size of the veranda - not double. Surely the wall does not explain the 144 sq ft difference.

How do you explain this large discrepancy?

I am not too proud to say that I was wrong and I am perfectly willing to change my mind and accept your opinion if you can explain this to me.

Edited by Paulchili

You cannot go by square footage numbers alone. In a standard verandah cabin on the O ships much of the extra usable share footage is in the bathroom, which can be very convenient. But the cabin itself does not seem much larger the the verandah cabin on the R ships. In the PH there is so much extra footage in the suite itself and it makes a huge difference. Not to mention the larger bathroom and one of the best closets around.

You cannot go by square footage numbers alone. In a standard verandah cabin on the O ships much of the extra usable share footage is in the bathroom, which can be very convenient. But the cabin itself does not seem much larger the the verandah cabin on the R ships. In the PH there is so much extra footage in the suite itself and it makes a huge difference. Not to mention the larger bathroom and one of the best closets around.

Agreed. But I am not comparing veranda cabins of O vs R ships.

The square footage of cabins on Marina does not break it down into bathroom, closet, living area and balcony - it's a total sq ft; and the PH is only 1 1/2 times that of veranda.

Also, surely the BR & the closet in the PH are larger than the ones in the veranda on the Marina - thus leaving even less sq ft for the living area of the PH.

I agree that the PHs on Marina are great - I just don't see them as double of the veranda cabins.

I don't mind being proven wrong if the numbers support it.

PS I'd like to look at this as a discussion and exchange of ideas - not as an argument. I hope that it is taken as such by all involved. :)

Edited by Paulchili

I agree that the PHs on Marina are great - I just don't see them as double of the veranda cabins.

PS I'd like to look at this as a discussion and exchange of ideas - not as an argument. I hope that it is taken as such by all involved.

I'm with you 100% Paul, civility is the key and obviously everyone involved is savvy enough to know that the Penthouses are not literally twice the size of the standards, which is why I was careful to phrase it the way that I did.

I was being asked to make a Space Comparison, however, and in my opinion the "feel of the Penthouses" is so wide open and airy that to me it feels like twice as much space, even though my head knows that the measurements don't support that, completely.

I'm with you 100% Paul, civility is the key and obviously everyone involved is savvy enough to know that the Penthouses are not literally twice the size of the standards, which is why I was careful to phrase it the way that I did.

I was being asked to make a Space Comparison, however, and in my opinion the "feel of the Penthouses" is so wide open and airy that to me it feels like twice as much space, even though my head knows that the measurements don't support that, completely.

Jim,

Thank you for that note.

I agree on both counts - civility on these boards is key and the PHs on Marina/Riviera are fantastic (even though they are not quite double the size of veranda cabins :D)

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

TALL guy here throwing in an opinion regarding space versus function in the Marina/Riviera PH suites. (No need to read further if you're under six feet.)

Yes, the PH suite has more living space than a veranda cabin, but it's more cluttered. The end result is that, to this former PH occupant, it doesn't feel that much roomier.

In particular, the chairs and table at the foot of the bed are a royal pain. When one's feet hang over the end of the mattress (as mine do), there's no hanging room unless the furniture is moved away from the bed. But by doing so, it becomes even more of an obstruction when groping through a darkened cabin to, say, visit the loo in the middle of the night.

Also, as an aside, the two chairs facing the sofa -- or one chair in the case of our Riviera trans-Atlantic in a PH -- are hard and uncomfortable. Definitely not a reading or lounging chair. Just more clutter unless you're an entertainer and need additional seating.

Yes, the closet space is definitely bigger and more useful in the O-class PH. Other than that…..meh.

On the other hand, PH suites on the R-class ships feel roomy, less cluttered and more comfortable in my subjective opinion…and the OP did specify "subjective." Diff'rent strokes…..

Agreed. But I am not comparing veranda cabins of O vs R ships.

The square footage of cabins on Marina does not break it down into bathroom, closet, living area and balcony - it's a total sq ft; and the PH is only 1 1/2 times that of veranda.

Also, surely the BR & the closet in the PH are larger than the ones in the veranda on the Marina - thus leaving even less sq ft for the living area of the PH.

PS I'd like to look at this as a discussion and exchange of ideas - not as an argument. I hope that it is taken as such by all involved. :)

Paul,

I agree the PHs are not twice the size ( and don't believe I said they were.) What I guess I meant is no matter term square footage space in the PH seems infinitely more capacious.

Dr. H, not only are those two chairs and table a pain, they are useless!

We have the table and one chair removed immediately, and, the other chair moved to the outside area,veranda side. Last time, the butler said it can't be done; we replied that it's been done before, and, upon return from dinner they were gone.

Dr. H, not only are those two chairs and table a pain, they are useless!

We have the table and one chair removed immediately, and, the other chair moved to the outside area,veranda side. Last time, the butler said it can't be done; we replied that it's been done before, and, upon return from dinner they were gone.

Do you mean that you have them move one chair outside on to the balcony?