Indoor seating

PG13

We are considering our 1st river cruise in Sept. 2018, my concern is if the weather is cool and/or rainy is there enough inside seating. I believe we are going to go with Viking line, their Grand Tour from Amsterdam to Budapest. We are getting a standard room. So what do you think?

We are considering our 1st river cruise in Sept. 2018, my concern is if the weather is cool and/or rainy is there enough inside seating. I believe we are going to go with Viking line, their Grand Tour from Amsterdam to Budapest. We are getting a standard room. So what do you think?

We took the Grand European Tour on Viking last Summer.

Everyone is asked to gather nightly in the lounge before dinner so the tour director can brief you on the next day's activity. While there is some spillover into the outside terrace and a few people standing at the bar, the lounge can accommodate almost everyone on the ship. You should be fine.

Bear in mind river cruising is not like ocean cruising. You will be off on tours most of day. With the exception of the scenic cruising areas of the Rhine and Danube, you'll do most of the sailing during dinner and at night. BTW you also have a great view from the dining room. Be sure to sit at the tables near the windows.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

There is random seating throughout the ship -- in the small library area; random chairs and sofas tucked in little areas. There is the lounge which is large. We did have to stand a few times for the evening port talks but it was not a big deal at all. People were tucked around visiting, reading, gazing out the window. You won't lack for a place to sit if it's nasty outdoors.

If you are referring to your cabin, our veranda room had one chair and a small foot stool. There were two chairs on our veranda. Cabin seating is different as you go up and down the cabin "food chain."

We did Amsterdam to Budapest on Avalon and the ship was spacious with lots of beautiful comfortable seating available in a variety of places on the boat. It was a fabulous trip with wonderful memories. I can highly recommend Avalon.

PS with Avalon you don't have to make your final pmt until amount 90 days before sailing. Not sure if Viking is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most river cruise ships can seat 100% of the passengers in the lounge and in the dining room. If post #3 is correct that Viking can't, that would be a problem for the daily Cruise Director's talk.

Most river cruise ships can seat 100% of the passengers in the lounge and in the dining room. If post #3 is correct that Viking can't, that would be a problem for the daily Cruise Director's talk.

On our Viking cruise, the dining room had plenty of room for everyone.

We stood in the lounge twice for port talks. I think it was less about not being able to find room, rather than us not wanting to march through the middle of the talk and disrupt folks while we walked to a vacant seat. We were a bit late to both.

Thank you to everyone! It wasn't clear based on visual tour how much seating there was. I'll look into Avalon. Again, thank you everyone.

We did Amsterdam to Budapest on Avalon and the ship was spacious with lots of beautiful comfortable seating available in a variety of places on the boat. It was a fabulous trip with wonderful memories. I can highly recommend Avalon.

PS with Avalon you don't have to make your final pmt until amount 90 days before sailing. Not sure if Viking is the same.

Thank you to everyone! It wasn't clear based on visual tour how much seating there was. I'll look into Avalon. Again, thank you everyone.

No matter who you choose to sail with you will have a fabulous time! Have fun planning :)

The port talks on Scenic are also broadcast onto the TV in your cabin if you don't fancy going up to the lounge. But on this line also there is plenty enough seating to accommodate all.

Fewer people on Scenic: 168 on the ship I was on versus 190 on a Viking ship the same length. When I did the math and all of Scenic's inclusion it was about the same price as Viking.

The port talks on Scenic are also broadcast onto the TV in your cabin if you don't fancy going up to the lounge. But on this line also there is plenty enough seating to accommodate all.

Viking does that also. It's great when you are too lazy to go listen in person.

I don't understand others' implication that there is not enough seating for whatever, but Viking Longboats have seating for all in the restaurant and the lounge. In addition there are several small nooks where you can sit and do whatever away from most everyone else.

On Viking, the standard cabins and the French balcony cabins have no extra seating; Veranda $ cabins have an extra chair beside the bed. Veranda Suites $$ add a separate room with ample seating. Their website gives you 360 degree tours so you can decide fir yourself.

On sunny days have the excellent buffet lunch outside or just under the shade in the Aquavit Terrace section of the ship. September should be no problem.

I don't understand others' implication that there is not enough seating for whatever, but Viking Longboats have seating for all in the restaurant and the lounge. In addition there are several small nooks where you can sit and do whatever away from most everyone else.

On Viking, the standard cabins and the French balcony cabins have no extra seating; Veranda $ cabins have an extra chair beside the bed. Veranda Suites $$ add a separate room with ample seating. Their website gives you 360 degree tours so you can decide fir yourself.

On sunny days have the excellent buffet lunch outside or just under the shade in the Aquavit Terrace section of the ship. September should be no problem.

I don't believe anyone said that, the OP has been assured by every poster that ALL the lines have plenty of indoor seating.