Dance Hosts

Whirled Peas

I had not danced for 25 years but rediscovered dancing on Queen Victoria. The problem was that I did not have proper dance shoes any more. I danced in the shoes I had taken on the cruise. One pair had rubber soles and therefore I could not move smoothly across the floor. Another pair had a leather sole but gave me blisters. By halfway through the cruise I had popped blisters on my heels and had to cover open sores with plasters in order to keep dancing. While it is possible to wear other shoes, if you know you will dance a lot, it is safer to wear proper dance shoes. Remember that if you are wearing shoes with heels that are too high, you are in danger of twisting your ankle. A dance floor is not a completely safe environment. I have done years of dancing and have still fallen over while wearing dance shoes. I have certainly enjoyed my dancing more since buying correct shoes.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully dancing in the Queens Room - it really is something special. With regard to dance shoes - I would say the vast majority of people dancing in the Queens Room will be wearing dance shoes - the reason being that anyone who enjoys ballroom/Latin dancing will usually already own a pair and it really does help for comfort and safety. Several cruises ago i chose to dance in strappy stiletto silver sandals one evening because they looked "nicer" with my evening formal dress. Anyway a quick step or two later the strap broke as I had put too much strain on it and my lovely (and not cheap) sandals were thrown aside whilst I limped to the cabin to get my dance shoes.

If you only want a dance or two you'll be fine but I would definitely recommend wearing sandals with good heel/ankle support.

With regard to dancing in long dresses. Here's a few tips I have used on formal nights:

I have had my long dress shortened slightly by a dressmaker who happens to make dresses for a local children's dance school. She recommended taking the dress up slightly at the front so as you step forward it doesn't get trod on. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for someone who just wants to give dance a go.

On an evening dress that has a slightly floaty top layer I hold one piece of the hem in my right hand which looks nice whilst ballroom dancing and keeps it out of harms way.

I have purchased dresses from Coast, and I'm sure many other shops have them, where the dress is below the knee at the front but long at the back but still a glamorous evening dress.

As others have already said, the dance hosts are easily identified and friendly. So just say hi when you go to the Queens Room in the evening and I'm sure they will soon come over and ask if anyone wishes to dance. Yes some hosts are better dancers than others but they are usually good fun anyway.

Enjoy your special celebratory cruise.

I've tried to add a couple of pictures of dresses I've worn on formal nights to make dancing easier.

e1e6ba99f7f4ef75a3eb3c3cc04c76a7.jpgd0a858fc98326c773cb0b0d247ce424f.jpgu

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let's go dancing! Cunard has provided a fabulous room, dance hosts, an orchestra that can play danceable songs and guests dressed to the nines and stepping out for a wonderful time. And if you plan just a little bit, it will make the evening even better. To recap some of what's already been posted here. Shoes help, if not dance shoes than ones that will keep you stable. Nothing ruins a dance more than an injury. Hygiene helps, you wouldn't want to be with a dance host with bad breath or other odors. The reverse is also true. Try not to maul the host. You wouldn't want to be "manhandled" around the floor. Reverse is true - don't clamp onto the host and my personal favorite - no self-dipping. This goes back to the injury comment above.

But the key is to have fun. Dancing is one of the greatest joys in my life. As a host, I want to share this joy with others. I try my best.to guide you across the floor and be entertaining. I try hard to be sure you (and/or I) don't get injured. But my main goal is to encourage you to have fun. Nothing is better for me than at the end of the dance my partner looks at me, smiles, laughs and says something like "what fun or I can't believe I just did that." And the funny part is that it doesn't matter to me if we just did a full blown quickstep and just shuffled around the floor. It all about the partner. I want you to have fun. And as my partner you can help with just a little planning. It would be a win/win all around.

Now get out there and have a blast.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and suggestions. While dancing is just one of the fun things we plan to try on this cruise, I am taking all of the advice I have received. I will either purchase inexpensive dance shoes or at least low, sturdy ones, and I will encourage my cruise-mates to "follow my lead" (pun intended). I will make sure my gowns are off the floor so as to not get in my way. We will attend the dance classes to make ourselves known. We will have a quick wash and brush up before heading out to the Queens Room. And we will have fun on the dance floor.

I must say that the responses I received were both helpful and comforting. It is a testament to the encouragement and support often offered on this site. So good to know that other cruisers want everyone to have a good time. I hope to meet some of you onboard someday.

Thank you all.

My sister, daughter, and I are preparing for our Fashion Week cruise beginning Aug. 31. We have tried on and selected the gowns and dresses. Now, we are wondering how in the world three well-dressed women will manage a twirl or two around the dance floor? This is only my second Cunard cruise but I already am hooked on the ships and the charming old-world experience.

I did a transatlantic with another girlfriend in Sept. 2015. On that cruise, we watched some of the dancing, but didn't attempt to participate. This cruise, we all three want to dance the nights away. I read posts here often and I occasionally see a post about dance hosts, but nothing so far that tells me how to catch their attention or simply ask to be included on their dance cards. All three of us are a bit shy, and not likely to be demanding of anyone, especially when it comes to asking someone to take you in their arms and sweep you across the floor! :rolleyes: Our husbands/significant others have refused to join us for what they perceive as a "boring" vacation. So we are stuck asking for help, but very timid about it.

Is there a place where we could sign up for this service? Is it about tipping? I would certainly tip for the chance to dance, but I don't want to wave cash around as if I were in a stripper club! :eek:Can anyone tell me how you have managed this without too much embarrassment?

Hi Whirledpeas, there are currently about 6 Gentlemen hosts on the Queen Victoria during this world cruise. They change according to the various sectors and a couple of them are doing the full world cruise I understand. They are available on the floor in the evenings and dance till about 10.30pm I think as well as are present during the dance lessons during the day.

A couple of them I have known over the years and are regular for the WCs and are very personable.

They generally dance with the single ladies sitting on their own, I think the rule is that they are not meant to dance with the same lady in a row if there are others waiting. They are generally around the ship during the day and if you would particularly like to dance, can I suggest you make yourself known to them and let them know that if they see you in the ballroom at night that you are keen on a twirl.

The big band of the QV this year has been really good and its good to see the ship using them in other venues as well.

The jazz band in the chart room are great too....hopefully the new chart room will be just as good after May.

and...what can I say about Carlo in the commodore club...Cunard is doing the QV proud with music this year.

regards Roscoe

The hosts are supposed to be on duty while the orchestra is playing, which should be til about midnite on QM2- hopefully a lot more lively than seems to be the case on QV. I did the first WC segment on QE- it was also pretty pathetic, the hosts spent a lot of time standing doing nothing. Which for the OP is good- just show up a little bit later in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed 6 days on QE Kobe to Hong Kong. Six dance hosts -- all very friendly, 1 or 2 could dance OK, the others shufflers. Music -- same as always, no VW's despite requests to Social Hosts, too many quicksteps, slow waltzes too slow, even one Dance Host said band played uneven beats over course of one song, each song too long, vocalist Michel Chartrier was OK (glad it was not Paul Christopher).

There was an occasion for a Taxi dance, which became very popular amongst the ladies -- ie, males in one line, ladies in separate line, and when you reach head of line, you dance with next lady a waltz once around the floor, before separating and rejoining your line.

Two issues:

1. The band leader or Social Host needs to announce before any fast dances, that those who don't move need to stay near center of dance floor, and stay out of outer perimeter, leaving that for fast movers.

2. Some Hong Kong ladies brought partners who were obviously professional male dancers, one of who had only one outfit the entire cruise -- black singlet and black slacks, which he wore regardless of dress code, the other at least on 1 or 2 nights had competition jackets. They danced in a fashion that was tantamount to performing (as said by many other passengers), flying all over the place, stopping anywhere they wanted on dance floor to do their exotic moves, etc.

One Japanese lady brought a male professional, but they were very subdued and followed the protocols of dancing in the Queen's Room.

Enjoy your cruise and hopefully dancing in the Queens Room - it really is something special. With regard to dance shoes - I would say the vast majority of people dancing in the Queens Room will be wearing dance shoes - the reason being that anyone who enjoys ballroom/Latin dancing will usually already own a pair and it really does help for comfort and safety. Several cruises ago i chose to dance in strappy stiletto silver sandals one evening because they looked "nicer" with my evening formal dress. Anyway a quick step or two later the strap broke as I had put too much strain on it and my lovely (and not cheap) sandals were thrown aside whilst I limped to the cabin to get my dance shoes.

If you only want a dance or two you'll be fine but I would definitely recommend wearing sandals with good heel/ankle support.

With regard to dancing in long dresses. Here's a few tips I have used on formal nights:

I have had my long dress shortened slightly by a dressmaker who happens to make dresses for a local children's dance school. She recommended taking the dress up slightly at the front so as you step forward it doesn't get trod on. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for someone who just wants to give dance a go.

On an evening dress that has a slightly floaty top layer I hold one piece of the hem in my right hand which looks nice whilst ballroom dancing and keeps it out of harms way.

I have purchased dresses from Coast, and I'm sure many other shops have them, where the dress is below the knee at the front but long at the back but still a glamorous evening dress.

As others have already said, the dance hosts are easily identified and friendly. So just say hi when you go to the Queens Room in the evening and I'm sure they will soon come over and ask if anyone wishes to dance. Yes some hosts are better dancers than others but they are usually good fun anyway.

Enjoy your special celebratory cruise.

I've tried to add a couple of pictures of dresses I've worn on formal nights to make dancing easier.

e1e6ba99f7f4ef75a3eb3c3cc04c76a7.jpgd0a858fc98326c773cb0b0d247ce424f.jpgu

Hi Tangoqueen.

What an excellent post and suitably enhanced with those photographs.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here's my contribution from those same stairs...

12519334823_08ef5dc5b7_z.jpg

PS. You both look gorgeous.

Just completed 6 days on QE Kobe to Hong Kong. Six dance hosts -- all very friendly, 1 or 2 could dance OK, the others shufflers. Music -- same as always, no VW's despite requests to Social Hosts, too many quicksteps, slow waltzes too slow, even one Dance Host said band played uneven beats over course of one song, each song too long, vocalist Michel Chartrier was OK (glad it was not Paul Christopher).

There was an occasion for a Taxi dance, which became very popular amongst the ladies -- ie, males in one line, ladies in separate line, and when you reach head of line, you dance with next lady a waltz once around the floor, before separating and rejoining your line.

Two issues:

1. The band leader or Social Host needs to announce before any fast dances, that those who don't move need to stay near center of dance floor, and stay out of outer perimeter, leaving that for fast movers.

2. Some Hong Kong ladies brought partners who were obviously professional male dancers, one of who had only one outfit the entire cruise -- black singlet and black slacks, which he wore regardless of dress code, the other at least on 1 or 2 nights had competition jackets. They danced in a fashion that was tantamount to performing (as said by many other passengers), flying all over the place, stopping anywhere they wanted on dance floor to do their exotic moves, etc.

One Japanese lady brought a male professional, but they were very subdued and followed the protocols of dancing in the Queen's Room.

"1. The band leader or Social Host needs to announce before any fast dances, that those who don't move need to stay near center of dance floor, and stay out of outer perimeter, leaving that for fast movers".

I'll drink to that.

My wife and I have been known to spend 25% of a quickstep on the carpet avoiding those who don't appreciate the 'line of dance' rule.

Hi Tangoqueen.

What an excellent post and suitably enhanced with those photographs.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here's my contribution from those same stairs...

PS. You both look gorgeous.

Thank you Richard, lovely photo of your good lady and yourself too x

..... Music -- same as always, no VW's despite requests to Social Hosts, too many quicksteps, slow waltzes too slow....

Tangoll, it seems that some Cunard dance-band leaders still lack the basic knowledge required when playing for ballroom, latin and social dancing. This has been the subject of many posts in the past. How can they play a waltz too slow? Surely every band-leader knows that the correct waltz-tempo is around 29/30 b.p.m. It's simplicity itself. Of course, you could always take bigger strides to take up the time-lag! :D As for too many quicksteps; did you find that most of the dancing was in International or American style? The amount of quicksteps would indicate the former as my American friends tell me that quickstep is not widely danced in many American dance venues, although it is extremely popular in the U.K.

Quick step? American vs. International? Line of dance? OH MY! :eek: I thought all I would have to know is whether to count to three or to four! Perhaps I will just be a wallflower.....

Never mind all that, just get up and dance.

Two issues:

I was also on the QE Sydney to Kobe. I have never done ballroom dancing in my life. I enjoyed the dance classes everyday with Sergey and Olga. I got to know a couple of the dance hosts. One even gave me lessons after the class. My husband is not a dancer so we only did a couple of dancers in the Queen's Room in the evening. I enjoyed watching the other dancers who were very competent.

Edited by cruisine21

Hi Whirledpeas, there are currently about 6 Gentlemen hosts on the Queen Victoria during this world cruise. They change according to the various sectors and a couple of them are doing the full world cruise I understand. They are available on the floor in the evenings and dance till about 10.30pm I think as well as are present during the dance lessons during the day.

A couple of them I have known over the years and are regular for the WCs and are very personable.

They generally dance with the single ladies sitting on their own, I think the rule is that they are not meant to dance with the same lady in a row if there are others waiting. They are generally around the ship during the day and if you would particularly like to dance, can I suggest you make yourself known to them and let them know that if they see you in the ballroom at night that you are keen on a twirl.

The big band of the QV this year has been really good and its good to see the ship using them in other venues as well.

The jazz band in the chart room are great too....hopefully the new chart room will be just as good after May.

and...what can I say about Carlo in the commodore club...Cunard is doing the QV proud with music this year.

regards Roscoe

The two WCs Dance Hosts are they Peter and John who are twins ?

Edited by Pennbank

Hello Whirledpeas

I've been a solo lady on QE and QV many times. My advice is to go to the Solo Travellers meeting on the first sea day - you'll meet the dance hosts, and you can tell them you want to dance. Then sit in the front in the Queens Room so they can see you! Don't worry about getting special dance shoes unless you are planning to take it up - I've never known a host to look at my feet unless it is to admire my Choos. If Paul Richie is singing he will dance with you too, + he's a darling. And go up to the Yacht Club after midnight for a boogie.

Have fun, and wear the shoes to go with your glamorous dresses!

Dancelady3

Thee were 6 male dance hosts on QM2 recently, nice chaps talked to a couple around the ship. One was from town, Batemans Bay.

But why no female dance hosts? :') Discrimination I say !!!!:halo:

Thee were 6 male dance hosts on QM2 recently, nice chaps talked to a couple around the ship. One was from town, Batemans Bay.

But why no female dance hosts? :') Discrimination I say !!!!:halo:

You need to keep up with previous threads on this board, there are indeed female dance hosts on Cunard from time to time. Maybe just not on that sector that you did.

We had a female dance host on the ship this year for the world cruise. Personally I was a bit appalled at the attitude towards her. Although some of my male friends took her up on a spin around the floor, she offered to dance with some of the female solos and was rejected outright by them and in what I thought was a very offensive manner.

Word around the ship was that they were offended and thought that it has aspects of lesbianism about it.

I often see ladies dancing together and was a bit appalled at some of the ladies attitude. I thought anyone dancing on the floor looked great. Especially with my limited abilities Im always happy to see others with better abilities showing them off.

Additionally we had a number of Asian couples dancing and I have to say that they were outstanding and a joy to watch...and also a couple of the dancers on the floor were men!

Imagine how those offended woman were scandalised by that!

Times are achanging....

We had a female dance host on the ship this year for the world cruise. Personally I was a bit appalled at the attitude towards her. Although some of my male friends took her up on a spin around the floor, she offered to dance with some of the female solos and was rejected outright by them and in what I thought was a very offensive manner.

Word around the ship was that they were offended and thought that it has aspects of lesbianism about it.

I often see ladies dancing together and was a bit appalled at some of the ladies attitude. I thought anyone dancing on the floor looked great. Especially with my limited abilities Im always happy to see others with better abilities showing them off.

Additionally we had a number of Asian couples dancing and I have to say that they were outstanding and a joy to watch...and also a couple of the dancers on the floor were men!

Imagine how those offended woman were scandalised by that!

Times are achanging....

Oh for goodness sake - what's wrong with some people! If you can dance, then dance! Dance whenever you can, hopefully with someone who also enjoys dancing. Customs differ - in some places, only men are permitted to dance with men, and women must not be observed dancing with other women. In some places, dancing is forbidden.

So I say, happy dancing on Cunard ships.

Cheers,

Salacia

Private groups often bring on hostesses for their own group, or the dance teacher sometimes dances in the QR (trying to sell dance lessons, usually). It may be a passenger desperate for competent partners. (Many years ago, all dance hosts were required to pass a Quickstep test before being accepted on Cunard. Now a lady is lucky if there's one who can.) Every rumour I've heard about dance hostesses by Cunard, when I try to check the facts there's always some discrepancy;

What fantasy51 calls the "handbag crowd" is notoriously vicious towards anyone they see as competition. There's a reason it's called "Barracuda Alley".

Many years ago there would always be a couple of excellent dancers on a Cunard ship, and several women you could practice with. Not now. My trip on QE in January, there was not one single woman who could even keep time with the music, let alone actually have bothered learning any basic figures. There were six hosts, who spent much of their time standing around; even in dance class, not all of them got partners. Nobody at all for me.

Private groups often bring on hostesses for their own group, or the dance teacher sometimes dances in the QR (trying to sell dance lessons, usually). It may be a passenger desperate for competent partners. (Many years ago, all dance hosts were required to pass a Quickstep test before being accepted on Cunard. Now a lady is lucky if there's one who can.) Every rumour I've heard about dance hostesses by Cunard, when I try to check the facts there's always some discrepancy;

What fantasy51 calls the "handbag crowd" is notoriously vicious towards anyone they see as competition. There's a reason it's called "Barracuda Alley".

Many years ago there would always be a couple of excellent dancers on a Cunard ship, and several women you could practice with. Not now. My trip on QE in January, there was not one single woman who could even keep time with the music, let alone actually have bothered learning any basic figures. There were six hosts, who spent much of their time standing around; even in dance class, not all of them got partners. Nobody at all for me.

you're on the wrong ship then bob, you need to come over to the best ship.

The female dance host on the WC was one of the wives of the male dance hosts, and yes, she was official, badge and everything. My male friends who danced with her said she was more than competent and really appreciated the opportunity to dance with a professional rather than have to ask a passenger.

We had Wilfred and his wife as the professional dancers and they were brilliant, apparently they are on various ships for 9 months of the year.

The wife of one of the dance hosts? That's a major change, in the past hosts have always been required to say they're single, even if they're not.

I thought so too but there ya go.

Times they are a'changin

[quote name=Dancer Bob;52757208

Many years ago there would always be a couple of excellent dancers on a Cunard ship' date=' and several women you could practice with. Not now. My trip on QE in January, there was not one single woman who could even keep time with the music, let alone actually have bothered learning any basic figures. There were six hosts, who spent much of their time standing around; even in dance class, not all of them got partners. Nobody at all for me.[/quote]

We were on the QE in February. The single women on board were excellent dancers. The six male dance hosts were all highly experienced with one who was obviously a competition ballroom dancer.