Steaks at Terrace Grill question.

kimanjo

On our last cruise on Riviera, DH found the steaks grilled to order at the Terrace grill, tasty, yet too thin for his liking.

He seemed to think they were pre-cut?? If they are, can he ask for a thicker one to be cut for him?

Has anyone requested this? Is it too much to ask for, if they are all pre-cut??

Thanks!

if I remember right the steaks were pre- cut and I bet that is how they come aboard the ship. I would ask the manager if they could get you a cut more to your liking at lunch for that days dinner and see what happens. I believe waves is closed for dinner.

if I remember right the steaks were pre- cut and I bet that is how they come aboard the ship. I would ask the manager if they could get you a cut more to your liking at lunch for that days dinner and see what happens. I believe waves is closed for dinner.

I suspect too, they are pre-cut, and not butchered onboard. What about Polo Grill, think those as well are pre-cut??

I do not know about Polo, however even if they are there is a wide range of cuts and I believe sizes. Since there is no charge for any of this ask if they could get a different cut for you ahead of time for the terrace, can not hurt.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I do not know about Polo, however even if they are there is a wide range of cuts and I believe sizes. Since there is no charge for any of this ask if they could get a different cut for you ahead of time for the terrace, can not hurt.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I was wondering if I could do that, just don't like to be a pain. I'll ask.

I think most come aboard packaged individually some exceptions may apply

Just ask for what you want all they can do is say NO

Sometimes they can get what you want sometimes not

Lyn

Sounds like they were asking so that they can be prepared on the NEXT cruise, not a prior one. It was on the prior one that DH found the steaks to thin ...

Mura

Sounds like they were asking so that they can be prepared on the NEXT cruise, not a prior one. It was on the prior one that DH found the steaks to thin ...

Mura

Agreed, but I think that the take away here is that the Restaurants don't flip food back and forth, and that is a matter of Corporate Policy.

Oceania actually wants us to want to get into Polo if we're looking for a great Steak, or , to resurrect an old chestnut, to get into Tuscana if we're partial to the gnocchi.

If one is in a Suite, they will serve from any open restaurant (La Reserve is a Wine Venue :p ) as Room Service, but in the various Restaurant Dining Rooms -with the sole exception of Privée......one menu per customer.

Edited by StanandJim
adjusting content

Agreed as well, Jim. You're absolutely right. I was just referring to a couple of comments that asked "why ask us?" OP was asking about a future cruise based on his prior experience, did any of us know if ordering a thicker steak was possible.

I think we all agree as well that this isn't possible in the buffet. I was also thinking that the guys cooking the food at the grill or working as quickly as possible, with different kinds of foods cooking at the same time. All they would need to further complicate their lives would be a steak that takes more time per side.

I prefer thick steaks myself but I've been VERY happy with the steaks I've had at the grill ... they were rare, as I requested, and delicious. (I've had good luck in Polo as well with rare meat -- well, except for our dysintery cruise on Marina in April/May when they refused to give us rare meat! I've been surprised at so many recent comments that their steaks were overcooked in Polo.)

Mura

On the carving station most of the meat is too rare for me at first I just walked away & got something else

One night I really wanted what was there so I ASKED if they had any more well done

SHOCK they cut what I wanted & took it in the kitchen cooked it more asked what I wanted with it potatoes veg etc.. & where I was sitting

A few minute later a waiter brought my meat well done with a baked potato & sour cream ..

JUST ASK you may be surprised

If they cannot get what you want no harm done but at least you can ask

Unfortunately, for those of us who like rare meat it's much harder to get a correction ... it shouldn't be difficult to cook a steak LONGER if that's what the customer wants ... (I admit that my problem is guessing just how much longer that should be ...)

Cooking it less if it's already been cooked is a tad more difficult. :D

I was aware that many Brits like their meat cooked well done but I didn't know Canadians do, too! :)

Mura

I was aware that many Brits like their meat cooked well done but I didn't know Canadians do, too! :)

Mura

Must be my British blood

I do like it med well ;)

As a child I insisted on well done meat ... as I aged (like the meat?) I came around to my mother's taste ... my father used to say that she liked it still moving... Howard, OTOH, likes it more well done so when I do beef or lamb we often have a problem. ONE of us won't be pleased!

Mura

As a child I insisted on well done meat ... as I aged (like the meat?) I came around to my mother's taste ... my father used to say that she liked it still moving... Howard, OTOH, likes it more well done so when I do beef or lamb we often have a problem. ONE of us won't be pleased!

Mura

Lucky you, you haven't reached your second childhood yet. I have a theory that as children we like well done, then acquire a taste for rare, then revert back to well done. My Mom went through those stages, eating only end cuts in her late 80s. I reached it much sooner, passing through well done and into a preference for well done ground steak before I was 70.

While it never hurts to ask, I was surprised earlier this year when I asked for an alternative to the sorbet on offer in the MDR. My request was for any fruit sorbet. The waiter disappeared for a little while and came back to say no! Obviously not as easy a request to fulfil as I thought,

PS It didn't stop me going back to the MDR :D.