Bon Voyage Gifts from Travel Agent

cto2008

I used a TA once.. NEVER AGAIN!! She totally messed up the docs.. I was the one standing in front of her, my CC for payment etc. to get everything settled and she put my wifes name on all the ressies.. My DW does not travel much as where I do. Because of her not paying attention I lost out on all the travel perks that I usually get..

Now I have a PVP over at CCL that is a dream.. Very attentive and puts up with the ton of questions I have..

• 6 years later...
While it's nice to receive gifts in our cabins, remember Nothing is Free. If your TA skipped the gift, perhaps your price might have been a little lower.

WE have had TA's who sent lovely gifts: One sent a caviar platter and bottle of champagne for sailaway; almost all have sent a bottle of wine; dinner in alternative restaurant (Pinnacle Grill); one sent Spa Credit which was a waste. We never use the Spa....not ever! The Front Office was nice and let us use it as an OBC.

I always appreciate the thoughtfulness but realize we have paid for that gift.

I just want to clarify that, you are correct, nothing is free. Do you expect your TA to work for free?

I guarantee you that whatever gift you receive is paid for with the small commission that is paid to your TA - from the cruise line. If you booked directly with the cruise line, that same commission is kept by the cruise line and you wouldn't receive anything.

Many don't realize that personal TA's work for YOU but the cruise line TAs work for the cruise line. Seriously, how many cruise lines contact YOU to let you know that the price of your cruise has dropped and ask if you would like an upgrade or price reduction?!

If you don't like the TA that you are currently working with, then find one that you do like. Hopefully, it won't be because of the gifts they are providing out of their hard earned commissions but, because of the service they provide to you and the great relationship that can be built. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to shoot your agent an email or make a quick call to let them know you are ready to vaca, let them do all of the work based on them already knowing your likes/dislikes, needs, your information, etc.?

The bottom line is that there are many advantages to having a TA and it's not just about receiving gifts that are certainly not free from your TAs hard heard commission.

I just want to clarify that, you are correct, nothing is free. Do you expect your TA to work for free?

I guarantee you that whatever gift you receive is paid for with the small commission that is paid to your TA - from the cruise line. If you booked directly with the cruise line, that same commission is kept by the cruise line and you wouldn't receive anything.

Many don't realize that personal TA's work for YOU but the cruise line TAs work for the cruise line. Seriously, how many cruise lines contact YOU to let you know that the price of your cruise has dropped and ask if you would like an upgrade or price reduction?!

If you don't like the TA that you are currently working with, then find one that you do like. Hopefully, it won't be because of the gifts they are providing out of their hard earned commissions but, because of the service they provide to you and the great relationship that can be built. Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to shoot your agent an email or make a quick call to let them know you are ready to vaca, let them do all of the work based on them already knowing your likes/dislikes, needs, your information, etc.?

The bottom line is that there are many advantages to having a TA and it's not just about receiving gifts that are certainly not free from your TAs hard heard commission.

You know this thread is 7 years old, right?

You know this thread is 7 years old, right?

Yep, fully aware of that. However, I still came across it when searching a topic which means others might as well. The opinions of new people joining could be the same as those from 7 years ago. So, where is the hurt of providing clarification?;)

Over 30+ years of cruising most TAs have sent a bottle of wine. We did have one TA arrange for a upgrade to a suite when the $100 OBC did not show up and we questioned it. We had a TA who recently retired who regularly gave us a $100-$200 OBC. We have had TAs who did nothing too. It varies.

We are shopping for a new TA presently -- have booked 3 cruises with 3 different TAs.

Since I wrote the above message in 2008, I have found I can do just as well on my own, buy future booking credits when on board, then book directly with the cruise line. Book my own air, hotels as well. Even now feel I better off booking/buying my own health insurance and emergency assistance, I don't try to insure my trip costs, just cover emergency medical.

Being a TA today is not an easy business to be in... with the internet... most savy travelers can do just as well on their own.

Since I wrote the above message in 2008, I have found I can do just as well on my own, buy future booking credits when on board, then book directly with the cruise line. Book my own air, hotels as well. Even now feel I better off booking/buying my own health insurance and emergency assistance, I don't try to insure my trip costs, just cover emergency medical.

Being a TA today is not an easy business to be in... with the internet... most savy travelers can do just as well on their own.

This is so true!

The harm is information I posted then no longer applies. One TA died, one was forced out of business as they couldn't compete with internet booking sites and I never got another TA. The local brick and mortars in my area know far less about cruising than I do and not worth giving up my ability to speak directly with the cruise line as happens if one uses a TA. If one books with the cruise line directly, there is no need for telephone tag etc.

As a former TA myself , booking only cruises for 17 years , there are enough

$$'s in most every booking to give you a thanks for booking.

The bigger the sale , the better the gift .

It's a cost of doing business .

If your TA is merely booking you at the current cruise line rate , nothing extra , you are being taken advantage of .

Find a agency that appreciates your business.

Do all travel agent's send welcome/thank you aboard?

Took my first cruise with a new TA and they sent personalized luggage tags with documents and upon returning sent a vacation photo holder as a thank you. Thought that was a nice touch from the bottle of wine.

What is the most unique gift that you ever received?

A major headache when my previous agent forget to link a B2B. We book the first week months in advance and added the second week a month before the cruise. It was a night mare when we found out that because the bookings weren't linked as consecutive cruises we would have to walk off the ship as if leaving and then wait to walk back on the ship with the new group of passengers.

It took the staff in Customer Service several days to straighten it out with their Miami office. But they worked a miracle and made it happen Needless to say they got a nice tip at the end of the second week and my agent found himself with two less customers.

Edited by lady_cruiser

The only thing we want from our TA is OBC's.

Don't want the wine, the dinner, the chocolates or any other thank you/welcome aboard gift.

We just want the OBC. This is a business transaction, not a family celebration.

Cash is king. Then WE can decide on how to spend it.

Edited by iancal

Do all travel agent's send welcome/thank you aboard?

Took my first cruise with a new TA and they sent personalized luggage tags with documents and upon returning sent a vacation photo holder as a thank you. Thought that was a nice touch from the bottle of wine.

What is the most unique gift that you ever received?

At different times we have received OBC, Photo Coupons, Bottles of Wine, and a Carnival Jacket (that I wore to work today since it was a little nippy out :D).

The only thing we want from our TA is OBC's.

Don't want the wine, the dinner, the chocolates or any other thank you/welcome aboard gift.

We just want the OBC. This is a business transaction, not a family celebration.

Cash is king. Then WE can decide on how to spend it.

Amen!

• 2 weeks later...

The agent we have used MANY times ONLY books cruises. She told me if she sent a bottle of wine or anything else to every person she booked for, it would cost her quite a bit. She supports herself. That makes sense. We got a bottle of wine on our 1st cruise but the agent was a travel agent and booked every kind of travel but not only cruises.

The agent we have used MANY times ONLY books cruises. She told me if she sent a bottle of wine or anything else to every person she booked for, it would cost her quite a bit. She supports herself. That makes sense. We got a bottle of wine on our 1st cruise but the agent was a travel agent and booked every kind of travel but not only cruises.

I would never use an agent that did not give me something back in return. I also would not settle for just a bottle of wine. You should shop around, you would be surprised how much OBC you can receive for booking a cruise.

Wow ! Is she a cheapskate !

She books only Cruises (the best commission $$$ and easiest to book over most other travel arrangements.)

And OP states they used her many times :eek:

Edited by MCC retired

I really am not interested in a gift from my TA. I want the best possible price, the largest OBC, the most perks and more importantly the very best service...and we get all of the above. He can keep the bottle of wine.;)