Evening Excursions in St. Petersburg

hobbess

What are the possible evening excursions to do inSt. Petersburg at night and which companies can offer those excursions? It seems like it'd be such a waste to spend a night in St. Petersburg but get stuck on the cruise ship.

But, I'm a bit confused about the whole tourist visa thing, whether or not I can sign up with any evening excursion for St. Petersburg I can find or if that means only certain evening excursions are possible for cruising passengers?

I know about the option for the folk dances and ballet that the recommended tour companies do for their evening excursions.

But, I've read that the folk dances are only for tourists.

I think it would be an singular experience to see great Russian ballet in Russia, but I'm afraid that the ballet offered would only be second-rate average performance performed only for tourists since it doesn't say which ballet company will perform on May 15, 2015:

https://www.balletandopera.com/

I've also found some other evening options but I'm not sure if those are open to cruising passengers and how worthwhile they will be if they are available:

How much difference is there between St. Petersburg at night and during the day? There's some options like a canal boat ride at night and a city sightseeing tour at night that appear identical to the same canal boat ride and city sightseeing tour I would be doing earlier in the day.

There's another canal boat ride at midnight that sounds different than the daytime canal rides because you will see the drawbridges go up. But, a 2 hour canal ride starting at midnight will leave me too exhausted for the next morning.

There's also these evening walking tours about the hidden St. Petersburg and Petersburg off the beaten track:

http://petersburgfreetour.com/daily-tours/petersburg-off-the-beaten-track/

http://www.viator.com/tours/St-Petersburg/Hidden-St-Petersburg-Evening-Walking-Tour/d908-5873RUUE

To me, they don't sound that interesting but I'd to like hear about what others thought of these tours before I write them off.

There's also the option of hiring a driver and guide for the evening, but I'm not sure how much you could do or see at night time- wouldn't all the sights be closed by that time?

Finally, there's the option of going back to re-see the Hermitage at night despite seeing it earlier in the day because the Hermitage is on all the daytime excursion trips.

If I go at night, will I run into all the same issues with the early openings where its super crowded with all the cruise passengers coming in at the same time to see it and with a lot of the museum rooms closed for the evening:

http://www.baltic-cruise-blog.com/what-does-the-early-opening-to-the-hermitage-museum-really-mean/

Otherwise, it seems like it'd be a lot of money to pay for to repeat the same experience that you got earlier in the day.

And, do any independent tour companies offer this option or do the cruise ships have a monopoly on this option?

...But, I'm a bit confused about the whole tourist visa thing, whether or not I can sign up with any evening excursion for St. Petersburg I can find or if that means only certain evening excursions are possible for cruising passengers?

Here are some posts re: the whole visa thing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46037035&postcount=35

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46046211&postcount=43

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2175531

If these three links don't answer all your visa questions, simply check out a couple of the other recent threads about private tours. Not surprisingly, this question comes up repeatedly and thorough, clear information is already available to help you.

...I know about the option for the folk dances and ballet that the recommended tour companies do for their evening excursions.

I think it would be an singular experience to see great Russian ballet in Russia, but I'm afraid that the ballet offered would only be second-rate average performance performed only for tourists since it doesn't say which ballet company will perform on May 15, 2015:

In my experience, the cultural season for ballet and opera in the cities begins in the fall and continues through the early spring. If you're visiting a city outside the normal performance season, you're probably not going to see the premier dancers or singers. In the summer, you can see outstanding opera and dance by attending opera festivals like Glastonbury (UK )or Glimmer Glass (New York) and dance festivals like Jacob's Pillow (Western Massachusetts). The participants in these festivals are way, way better than tourist-quality, but they're performing as individuals or all the members of improving companies looking to polish their reputation (e.g. Sarasota Ballet).

Basically, how much you enjoy summer ballet in St. Petersburg will depend on your background. The theaters are glorious: all appropriately gilded and elaborate. The music of the ballets is always a joy. But if you regularly attend ballet with the top companies, you will be disappointed. For example, you'll notice the ballerina may not put an extra spin in some of her fouettes or she may only do four fouettes in places where you've seen dancers perform many more. Will it be enough for you to say "I'm seeing this in the actual Mariinsky (or Hermitage etc.) Theater?"

...I've also found some other evening options but I'm not sure if those are open to cruising passengers and how worthwhile they will be if they are available

The short answer is that if you have not obtained a private visa, you will need to hire a private guide to move about the city at night. But I can't imagine any evening activity that would be off limits to a cruise passenger. Do you have something specific in mind?

...And, do any independent tour companies offer this option or do the cruise ships have a monopoly on this option?

The threads on this board almost exclusively focus on the independent tour companies who have good reputations. Just read a couple of the obviously titled threads and you'll hear from people who have been there, done that.

The local operators will generally only arrange an evening for you if you've taken their day tour. This might be because of the visa-free arrangements, or perhaps because the evening provides them with too small a margin to be worth a stand-alone. And some evening tours (but not the ballet) run on from daytime without an interim return to the ship.

But regardless of the tour or function, the evenings via accredited operators are visa-free, same as the daytime excursions.

Yes, if you're a ballet aficionado you'll need to be very picky - most have a reputation for being less-than-best.

And yes, the "Think Yourself Russian" folk show is also just for tourists. Excellent range, excellent standards of singing & musicians & dancing, some subtle humour, some side-splitting humour, some audience participation. The venue is "decayed decadence" - a large room with low stage along one side rather than auditorium, seating is on dining chairs. Great fun, very glad we went, but unashamedly for tourists. Certainly doesn't sound like it'd be your scene.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

When we visited SPB we weren't interested in an evening excursion as we don't like ballet and are not interested in folk shows. However, after being out sightseeing the whole day and having another early morning the next day, we were pleased we hadn't booked anything for the evening.

Additionally, we live in central London and have plenty of excellent cultural choices here.

What are the possible evening excursions to do inSt. Petersburg at night and which companies can offer those excursions? It seems like it'd be such a waste to spend a night in St. Petersburg but get stuck on the cruise ship.

But, I'm a bit confused about the whole tourist visa thing, whether or not I can sign up with any evening excursion for St. Petersburg I can find or if that means only certain evening excursions are possible for cruising passengers?

I know about the option for the folk dances and ballet that the recommended tour companies do for their evening excursions.

https://www.balletandopera.com/

I've also found some other evening options but I'm not sure if those are open to cruising passengers and how worthwhile they will be if they are available:

How much difference is there between St. Petersburg at night and during the day? There's some options like a canal boat ride at night and a city sightseeing tour at night that appear identical to the same canal boat ride and city sightseeing tour I would be doing earlier in the day.

There's another canal boat ride at midnight that sounds different than the daytime canal rides because you will see the drawbridges go up. But, a 2 hour canal ride starting at midnight will leave me too exhausted for the next morning.

There's also these evening walking tours about the hidden St. Petersburg and Petersburg off the beaten track:

http://petersburgfreetour.com/daily-tours/petersburg-off-the-beaten-track/

http://www.viator.com/tours/St-Petersburg/Hidden-St-Petersburg-Evening-Walking-Tour/d908-5873RUUE

To me, they don't sound that interesting but I'd to like hear about what others thought of these tours before I write them off.

There's also the option of hiring a driver and guide for the evening, but I'm not sure how much you could do or see at night time- wouldn't all the sights be closed by that time?

Finally, there's the option of going back to re-see the Hermitage at night despite seeing it earlier in the day because the Hermitage is on all the daytime excursion trips.

If I go at night, will I run into all the same issues with the early openings where its super crowded with all the cruise passengers coming in at the same time to see it and with a lot of the museum rooms closed for the evening:

http://www.baltic-cruise-blog.com/what-does-the-early-opening-to-the-hermitage-museum-really-mean/

Otherwise, it seems like it'd be a lot of money to pay for to repeat the same experience that you got earlier in the day.

And, do any independent tour companies offer this option or do the cruise ships have a monopoly on this option?

You may not be interested but SPB tours does a Vodka Tour at night!!

If these three links don't answer all your visa questions, simply check out a couple of the other recent threads about private tours. Not surprisingly, this question comes up repeatedly and thorough, clear information is already available to help you.

I read them, and I still don't know the answer.

I know that in order to see St. Petersburg, I need to get either a tourist visa or join a accredited guide.

But, how do I know which guides can offer those services. Is it just the cruise ships and the same three or four independent tour companies that people use?

But, I find the options the independent tour companies offer for evening excursions a bit underwhelming, either ballet or folk lore show.

There's other evening options out there:

http://petersburgfreetour.com/daily-...-beaten-track/

http://www.viator.com/tours/St-Peter.../d908-5873RUUE

Could I join one of those tours and leave the cruise ship at night to join their tour? Or, are they assuming that you already have a tourist visa?

The threads on this board almost exclusively focus on the independent tour companies who have good reputations. Just read a couple of the obviously titled threads and you'll hear from people who have been there, done that.

I was referring to the evening visit to the Hermitage Museum and wondering if only the cruise lines could offer this option because I didn't see any independent tour companies that offered that visit.

We are booked with Alla tours for 2 days in St. Pete. Got a message today they are offering a 2 hr. evening tour to Faberge Museum for $45 p/p.

I would have gone with the Faberge Museum visit but I'll be in St. Petersburg on a Friday night when the museum is closed.

Although, its strange that the visit to the Faberge is 2 hours when the Hermitage Museum is only scheduled for 2.5 hours even though the Hermitage has so much more to see than the Faberge.

We don't cruise until May, but I contacted most of the tour companies that have been named here. They all offer tourist visas. You can find several posts on the pros and cons of going with a company that has several recommendations here vs one with few/none. FWIW, going with one with many recommendations, you can be assured the visa issue will be a non-issue.

As for night activities, contact each company and ask. We are a multigenerational group and so we wanted something a bit different from the usual tours. Several companies were immediately responsive, offering suggestions on alternative itineraries.

The tours for St Petersburg sound very long, exhaustive, and thorough. I haven't gone yet, but I'd imagine most visitors are worn out by the daytime excursions.

And, add a nightime excursion to it, then I'd imagine you'll either be tired for the nightime excursion or the daytime excursion the next day. That's probably the reason why the nightime excursions offered are usually more sedate where you're sitting in a seat.

You may not be interested but SPB tours does a Vodka Tour at night!!

The. Best. Excursion.

We're considering this one. Could y'all walk (or stumble) us though the details of this tour?

I hear that half of the tour is a canal boat ride with music. What is the other half? Do you eat anything? Shopping? Visit sights/sites?

We're considering this one. Could y'all walk (or stumble) us though the details of this tour?

I hear that half of the tour is a canal boat ride with music. What is the other half? Do you eat anything? Shopping? Visit sights/sites?

All I remember is vodka from the moment they pick you up in the bus.:) Your guide also drinks the vodka. You are driven past some of the sites and the guide talks about life in Russia. Then you go on a canal tour, which is very nice. You can sit on top, or go below where there are folk musicians, who play and sing, and yes, they drink the vodka also. lol Mind you if you think the vodka tastes like Grey Goose, it doesn't. There was some hot pepper variety and another type. The guide also provides orange juice for those of us who are sissies. If you want to have the most fun and interact with the musicians sit below. There is also chocolate passed around. Our entire bus was filled with Cruise Critic roll call people. I think we also stopped at a large souvenir shop. We could have walked around some, but everyone was too pooped from the touring of the day. Our entire bus voted not too. lol

If you want to drink vodka like the Russians do, and have a few laughs and see beautiful St. Petersburg from the canals, instead of staying on the ship, then this is for you. This is not a college level course.;) Don't forget you have to get up the next morning to complete day 2 of the tour.

I went to her website but didn't see this evening tour mentioned. We are traveling on the May 24 Baltic cruise, with another couple. We already booked a 2 day tour with our friends TA. Not sure of the local Russian company we will be with......I am really interested in a Vodka / boat ride evening tour. SPB will not let us sign up since we are not booked on their day tour. :confused:We have sent emails to Alla, DenRus and Dancing Bear to see if they can accommodate us. No replies but it is a weekend. Any other ideas? Thanks

Diane

You really need to know the operator that your friends' TA has booked with !!

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...
many local companies have their own evening programs or at least you could hire a guide and a driver for the night time(you don't need a visa for this). Some guys from our last cruise did it: they had private evening walking tour in the downtown which ended up in a restaurant - the guide left and the driver took them to the ship after dinner. They were really happy with what they have chosen.

But, it seems like you can only hire a guide and drive for the evening from the local company only if you used that same company for a daytime excursion.

And, even in that situation, there's a minimum number of hours for such an excursion which might be too much for some tourists.

I'm assuming the margins are too small for the tour companies to do evening excursions unless they can get a large group of people or minimum number of hours to make it worth their while.

DenRus is the only tour company I found that let you do an evening excursion like that without signing up for daytime excursion and it was actually a reasonable price, but it was for 4 hours. Unless you're going out to drink or party, I don't know what sights would still be open at those hours.

We are debating the same thing but we are planning to do a private tour so there shouldn't be overlap between day and night, just trying to figure what would be worth doing in the evening. We are considering just staying out later so instead of ending our tour at 5-6, being out until 8-9 or whether we should go back to the ship and then out again 7:30-11:30. There are a couple of churches that I think are open until 7pm so if one of those isn't on your tour, that might work for you. My hubby loves to take photos so there are many places that we could linger, parks and such... Walk along the river.

Too bad the Faberge museum is included for the day, since it is open in the evening without the required guided tour. That would have been my other idea.

I read somewhere that people enjoyed a meal with the locals, in their local apartment and that was a highlight of their trip if that is something that interests you.

I know some people also are into just hanging out at a coffee shop or bar and that could be an option.

Jenn

We're planning to have dinner in a restaurant and then go bar hopping & people watching. I've done a little research so I have a couple of ideas of where to go -

http://petersburg4u.com/bars-and-clubs-on-dumskaya-street

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298507-d7168592-Reviews-Daiquiri_Bar-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html#REVIEWS

We're planning to have dinner in a restaurant and then go bar hopping & people watching. I've done a little research so I have a couple of ideas of where to go -

http://petersburg4u.com/bars-and-clubs-on-dumskaya-street

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298507-d7168592-Reviews-Daiquiri_Bar-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html#REVIEWS

Hi Kryssa

This sounds wonderful. Are you planning on obtaining visas or is this a tour you're doing with one of the companies?

I have an evening driver booked with SPB tours for 3 hours on day 2, but no plans yet as to what we'll do....

BTW, we are on the same trip/roll call.

Jasmine

Hi Kryssa

This sounds wonderful. Are you planning on obtaining visas or is this a tour you're doing with one of the companies?

I have an evening driver booked with SPB tours for 3 hours on day 2, but no plans yet as to what we'll do....

BTW, we are on the same trip/roll call.

Jasmine

Hey Jasmine!

We have a a driver booked though Alla for both evenings for 3 hours with the option of extending for additional time.

We looked into getting visas but they are just too pricy. My husband and I are very comfortable using public transit to get around foreign cities, but it only costs $30 per person per night for 3 hours with the driver so it didn't make any sense to go that way.

Does your cell phone do international texting? If so, we could try to meet up after dinner if you are looking to check out some bars. If we aren't in the mood to do a lot of drinking, we might switch it up and go for coffee & hookah.

The way I see it, if the ship is docked in St. Peterburg, why would I go back and have dinner & drinks on the ship? This could be my only opportunity to be in this amazing city. Even if we are exhausted, I'd rather park my butt in a coffeeshop on Nevsky Prospect and relax than do the same on the boat ;)

Edited by Kryssa

Hey Jasmine!

We have a a driver booked though Alla for both evenings for 3 hours with the option of extending for additional time.

We looked into getting visas but they are just too pricy. My husband and I are very comfortable using public transit to get around foreign cities, but it only costs $30 per person per night for 3 hours with the driver so it didn't make any sense to go that way.

Does your cell phone do international texting? If so, we could try to meet up after dinner if you are looking to check out some bars. If we aren't in the mood to do a lot of drinking, we might switch it up and go for coffee & hookah.

The way I see it, if the ship is docked in St. Peterburg, why would I go back and have dinner & drinks on the ship? This could be my only opportunity to be in this amazing city. Even if we are exhausted, I'd rather park my butt in a coffeeshop on Nevsky Prospect and relax than do the same on the boat ;)

Sounds great. I have been meaning to check with AT&T about international plans they offer.

I have a friend who lived in SPB before moving here and she said all the bridges that open up at night are not to be missed. I will email SPB tours also to find out what time the "night time driver" usually picks up - right after the tour or later.... I hope to go back to the ship after the day of touring, change, refresh and leave again at night, closer to 8pm.

One of our favorite things to do also is go to a happening area of a city and do dinner, drinking, hanging out and getting a taste of the local cuisine and lifestyle.... as much as possible given our limited time there....

We'll keep in touch!

Jasmine

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought the bridges opened up at 2 am. I am hoping I am wrong or it was bad info because I would love to see it. Let me know what SPB says :)

I can't remember where I read it, but I thought the bridges opened up at 2 am. I am hoping I am wrong or it was bad info because I would love to see it. Let me know what SPB says :)

You were given correct information. The bridges begin opening from 1:35 am to 2:30 am (depending on the particular bridge). The schedule is below:

Dvortsovy 1:35 - 2:55 & 3:15 - 4:50

Troitsky 1:50 - 4:50

Leutenanta Schmidta 1:40 - 4:55

Liteiny 1:50 - 4:40

Alexandra Nevskovo 2:20 - 5:05

Bolsheoxtinsky 2:00 - 5:00

Birzhevoy 2:10 - 4:50

Tuchkov 2:10 - 3:05 & 3:35 - 4:45

Sampsonievsky 2:10 - 2:45 & 3:20 - 4:25

Kantamirovsky 2:45 - 3:45 & 4:20 - 4:50

Grenadersky 2:45 - 3:45 & 4:20 - 4:50

Volodarsky 2:00 - 3:45 & 4:15 - 5:45

Finlandsky 2:30 - 5:10

You were given correct information. The bridges begin opening from 1:35 am to 2:30 am (depending on the particular bridge). The schedule is below:

Dvortsovy 1:35 - 2:55 & 3:15 - 4:50

Troitsky 1:50 - 4:50

Leutenanta Schmidta 1:40 - 4:55

Liteiny 1:50 - 4:40

Alexandra Nevskovo 2:20 - 5:05

Bolsheoxtinsky 2:00 - 5:00

Birzhevoy 2:10 - 4:50

Tuchkov 2:10 - 3:05 & 3:35 - 4:45

Sampsonievsky 2:10 - 2:45 & 3:20 - 4:25

Kantamirovsky 2:45 - 3:45 & 4:20 - 4:50

Grenadersky 2:45 - 3:45 & 4:20 - 4:50

Volodarsky 2:00 - 3:45 & 4:15 - 5:45

Finlandsky 2:30 - 5:10

OH WOW!

Change of plans then.... I don't think we can stay up that late and be able to make it to am tour the next day...