Captain's Club Select/Room Upgrade

Julma

I read as a CC Select member, I receive a one category upgrade. I was looking at a Family Veranda on the Infinity, with a Celebrity agent. I asked if I would receive an upgrade, being Select, from the next lowest cabin and he stated no, because the Family Veranda was no included. I then went back and read that it goes all the way up to Aqua Class. Should I receive the upgrade or is the Family Veranda something different?

The agent is correct. There is only one category of family verandah. In other categories, the upgrade would be from an AQ2 to AQ1 or a 1B to a 1A, for example. With the family verandahs, they are in a category of their own. Hope this makes sense!

Here are the details of the one Category Upgrade and as you can see there are some exclusions. The FV cabin is farily unique and I guess that's why it is not included.

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

I read as a CC Select member, I receive a one category upgrade. I was looking at a Family Veranda on the Infinity, with a Celebrity agent. I asked if I would receive an upgrade, being Select, from the next lowest cabin and he stated no, because the Family Veranda was no included. I then went back and read that it goes all the way up to Aqua Class. Should I receive the upgrade or is the Family Veranda something different?

From my understanding you can :-

Pay for a C2 and upgrade to a C1 for free etc or

Pay for an A2 and upgrade to an A1 for free etc.

There are no 'levels' within SV so I assume there are no free upgrades available under Captains Club membership.

I hope that makes sense?

It's a one category upgrade within the same class. It looks like the Family Veranda is in a class by itself.

From my understanding you can :-

Pay for a C2 and upgrade to a C1 for free etc or

Pay for an A2 and upgrade to an A1 for free etc.

There are no 'levels' within SV so I assume there are no free upgrades available under Captains Club membership.

I hope that makes sense?

No, you can pay for a C3 and upgrade to a C2, but C2 to C1 is excluded. This is enforced.

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

Mike

Edited by mandream

I'm Select level and booked a 2A cabin on Summit in November 2016... should I have only had to pay the 2B price?

Generally speaking yes. Unless you booked some special rate (e.g. group) through a TA. I've found that some Celebrity reps are pro-active with this, but usually you need to mention it.

You can probably call and have your rate adjusted.

Mike

I'm Select level and booked a 2A cabin on Summit in November 2016... should I have only had to pay the 2B price?

Just so people know, this offer is available to anyone who is classic level or above. i.e absolutely anyone who has completed just one celebrity cruise. You don't need to be select or above. :)

Generally speaking yes. Unless you booked some special rate (e.g. group) through a TA. I've found that some Celebrity reps are pro-active with this, but usually you need to mention it.

Mike

Thank you! Will give them a call!

Mike

Just got off the phone with Celebrity - they're not willing to do anything. In November 2016, I booked and paid for a 2A on Summit for January 2018... but I should have been offered the 2B price for my 2A cabin using my Captain's Club status. What they offered to do today is give me today's "rate" for the 2B and it's significantly more than a paid for my 2A back in November.

Any suggestions? I'm not even looking for a refund/lower price - I'd accept an on board credit...

Just got off the phone with Celebrity - they're not willing to do anything. In November 2016, I booked and paid for a 2A on Summit for January 2018... but I should have been offered the 2B price for my 2A cabin using my Captain's Club status. What they offered to do today is give me today's "rate" for the 2B and it's significantly more than a paid for my 2A back in November.

Any suggestions? I'm not even looking for a refund/lower price - I'd accept an on board credit...

As I suspected, they are still willing to give you the 1 cat upgrade - but price adjustments are always based on current rates.

You are a long way out - keep checking the rates for your cruise. I suspect they will come down (and go up) again. There are sites than can help you monitor that. When they do, call and do the adjustment then (I'm assuming the Canadian rules are similar to the US where you can take advantage of price drops without losing your deposit).

You will probably get more savings from the price drops anyway - the difference in price between a 2B and a 2A is probably pretty small.

Good Luck!

Mike

It is not that you 'should' have been offered .... it is more like you should have asked for it. We've found they don't automatically offer it but will honor it most times (with some exceptions) if you request it.

They will always go to today's rate but definitely check back before final payment and see what you are able to get if you see the prices have come down. Mostly, it is just a small difference ... maybe $20-$40 but I have saved as much as $500 before using this upgrade. I've had them refuse it once as I was part of a group which only offered specific cabin types. Also, I have heard them state that it has to be requested at the time of booking but my neighbor was contacted after booking a 2D category initially, asking her if she wanted a 2C category upgrade for no charge once some 2C's came available. Never hurts to ask ... but they won't go back and give you cheaper pricing if the pricing is now higher.

And ... to the OP, we've had one of those FV cabins on the Infinity before ... one of the side ones to boot. WOW!! Best room we've ever had. I would just go for it even without any complimentary upgrade. They are usually saved for up to 5 pax per cabin ... so blocked from couples until it gets close to sail date. It's not classified as a suite but such a fantastic room.

No, you can pay for a C3 and upgrade to a C2, but C2 to C1 is excluded. This is enforced.

Mike

Yes, you can upgrade from C2 to C1. You cannot upgrade from C1 to Aqua Class as C and A are two distinct classes.

Yes, you can upgrade from C2 to C1. You cannot upgrade from C1 to Aqua Class as C and A are two distinct classes.

As posted by RickT and on Celebrity site:

Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W

And yes they do enforce this exclusion

It might be a waste of time but I'd give the Captain's Club a call. I'd mention that you would be OK with the difference at the time you booked being refunded to you as a shipboard credit. Can't hurt.

As others have mentioned, keep an eye on the pricing and jump if you see a price drop. Also keep an eye on C and A class cabins as I've sometimes seen them priced less than the 2B depending on how they are selling.

The only reason I think you might have a chance here is that you booked onboard and the future cruise person should have done it automatically for you. The terms are specific that it has to be done at time of booking so doing it retroactively is a long shot since the prices have changed. As RickT suggests, a polite call to captains club explaining that the future cruise agent failed to do this might get you some good will credit.

As others have stated the 1 category difference is generally very small. Don't let it get you upset. You now know to ask for it next time.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Not with the free Captain's Club upgrade. As mentioned several times previously this is explicitly excluded and enforced.

If you were able to do it, consider it a lucky accident.

Mike