June Snorkeling in Galapagos

jjmock

Hoping to get in touch with someone who might have taken Celebrity XPedition in June previously or close to it, but also hoping to get any helpful input. I know that Celebrity provides "shorty" wet suits for snorkeling expeditions but an wondering, since it is winter there in June, whether or not these provide adequate protection from the elements for that time of year? Or would we be advised to obtain and bring full wet suits?

Also trying to get an idea what to expect in terms of how strenuous the snorkeling is there in the Galapagos. I am guessing that its not as calm and placid as the Caribbean but not sure what to expect.

Finally, just wondering about the quality of the provided snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel, fins) and wondering if we might want to bring our own.

Thanks in advance for any input!

You would do better posting on the Xpedition roll call. As the islands are on the equator, the seasons are not about temperature as much as they are about precipitation. We went in December with a sea temp below 70 most of the time. I wore a short wet suit and was comfortable. I have my own gear but used theirs. No issue.

Hoping to get in touch with someone who might have taken Celebrity XPedition in June previously or close to it, but also hoping to get any helpful input. I know that Celebrity provides "shorty" wet suits for snorkeling expeditions but an wondering, since it is winter there in June, whether or not these provide adequate protection from the elements for that time of year? Or would we be advised to obtain and bring full wet suits?

Also trying to get an idea what to expect in terms of how strenuous the snorkeling is there in the Galapagos. I am guessing that its not as calm and placid as the Caribbean but not sure what to expect.

Finally, just wondering about the quality of the provided snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel, fins) and wondering if we might want to bring our own.

We were there in September, but the conditions are fairly consistent due to the Humboldt current. The equipment was good. The CD did warn that the water is cold. He was NOT lying! But once you got in the wetsuit did its thing and you were fine - it just took a minute.

The current itself is strong, but not so strong to pull you under or away from the group. The zodiac follows the group and, if at any point you want to be picked up, all you have to do is signal and there are there in 2 seconds. We had a lady who got it, freaked out that it was so cold and was immediately pulled out without issue.

It is a bit strenuous, but you just sort of swim along, with the sea lions in your face, and the next thing you know you are back on the zodiac. It is an AMAZING experience I will never, ever forget.

Should you get your own wetsuits? They weigh a bit and you have a limit on your luggage. Will you use them again? If not, what Celebrity provides is perfectly adequate. Hope that answers your question and have an AWESOME time! email me with any other questions at russg4willard@mac.com

The wet suits are for the cold water, not cold winter air. I don't recall any difficulty snorkeling...no great tidal pull or other. I'd suggest bringing your own snorkel....even though they sterilize the one's on board. I like to know where things I put in my mouth have been :) Universal fit face masks are universal which means they really don't fit everyone well. The ones on board may be ok, but then again, why not buy your own that really fits your face. We're not talking big bucks here. The flippers and wet suit provided on board are fine.

Snorkeling in the galapagos is wonderful.

Edited by ghstudio

We were there in May and the wet suits provided were fine. I don't remember the current being to strong, but I was paying more attention to all the turtles and fish swimming with us.

It really is a wonderful experience... Enjoy!!!

Jane

Don't forget to bring a good underwater camera.

We were there July 15 - 30, 2016. (Manchu Picchu extension.). Even the "strenuous" deep water snorkels were very manageable. When you get into the water it is up-current and as you drift down current the zodiacs are there to pick you up. The water is a little cool but not chilly and you are only in the water for about an hour. From the moment you land in Quito you are treated first class. All the naturalists and guides are top notch. All our mainland tours and island landings were very worthwhile and memorable. Once you are fitted with your wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel and life vest, they go into a hanging bag and you use the same ones the whole week. There is a three plunge to clean them after each use. We found them of very good quality and in good shape. The temperature was very comfortable. We were in quick dry pants or shorts the whole trip. They have about three or four hours mid day where you have lunch and a rest between excursions. This keeps you out of the most extreme sun.

The following link is a slide show of the "people" on the trip so that you can see how we were dressed and the things we did. We had people from all over the world and ages from about 10 to 94.

You will love this trip. Celebrity does an excellent job

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"Winter?" The Equator passes through the island chain. It warm all year around. Hot and humid even.

We were there July 15 - 30, 2016.

The following link is a slide show of the "people" on the trip so that you can see how we were dressed and the things we did. We had people from all over the world and ages from about 10 to 94.

You will love this trip. Celebrity does an excellent job

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks - very helpful and lovely photos! We still have a long wait but I so enjoy hearing about the experience of others.

Edited by sippican

My DH and I have done Galapagos twice. Once in May and then in October. On our October trip we purchased "rash guards" on the suggestion of someone who posted here. They worked great. My DH only got a shirt. I got the one piece full suit. I am cold natured and it was a big help with the cold waters as my husbands was for him. Hope this helps

Barb

We went the last week of June and the shorty wet suits provided were perfect. The water temp was probably in the upper 60's. A couple of times when I was finished snorkeling and took the wet suit off I would take a dip without it. By then I was used to the temp. It was a great time of year to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Be aware that the deep water snorkels require that you're a good swimmer---they don't allow float vests on those excursions. My 20 something kids (along with most everyone else) got beaten up on one of the deep water snorkels because the water was so rough - the zodiacs picked up everyone and moved to a calmer location. I'm very cold-blooded but the short wetsuit was fine once you get in the water. We DID take our own one-way snorkels and were very glad we did - the water is definitely rougher than the Caribbean and we hate saltwater! Also be aware that Celebrity limits the amount of luggage you can take on the flight to Baltra, so taking your own wetsuits might seriously limit your other clothes and things--TAKE A GOOD UNDERWATER CAMERA WHICH ALSO TAKES VIDEO

Be aware that the deep water snorkels require that you're a good swimmer---they don't allow float vests on those excursions. My 20 something kids (along with most everyone else) got beaten up on one of the deep water snorkels because the water was so rough - the zodiacs picked up everyone and moved to a calmer location. I'm very cold-blooded but the short wetsuit was fine once you get in the water. We DID take our own one-way snorkels and were very glad we did - the water is definitely rougher than the Caribbean and we hate saltwater! Also be aware that Celebrity limits the amount of luggage you can take on the flight to Baltra, so taking your own wetsuits might seriously limit your other clothes and things--TAKE A GOOD UNDERWATER CAMERA WHICH ALSO TAKES VIDEO

Thanks for the additional informaiton.

By "float vest", are you referring to the self-inflate type?

Also, please explain a one-way snorkel.