Just off the Koningsdam...aft Neptune review

jvalentine

Hi everyone!

Getting ready for our flight back tomorrow. I'll be doing a review of our trip and the aft Neptune on the Koningsdam. Ps...it's a different layout than the other neptunes onboard OR any aft Neptune we've stayed in. Balcony still huge, missing the dressing area/extra sink all together, chaise lounger instead of a couch...ill post a bunch of pics when I'm back state side. I'm not being negative just want to give folks the heads up of what's different.

Weather was fantastic, food was probably the best I've had onboard HAL, staff was all wonderful.

Really eager for your report. Thank you in advance!!!

We're in an aft Neptune for three weeks in July, and I've been frustrated knowing it can't be the same as the traditional side position, but left wondering since the HAL pictures and diagrams always show a side Neptune only.

Your timing is perfect for us.

Hope you had a great cruise!

I'll start off by saying that we were so excited to go on this trip. Norway had been on our bucket list for awhile. I was also literally giddy to check out the Koningsdam. If anyone on the face of this earth wanted to like this ship...it was me.

We started off flying out of Nashville and our route had connections in Philly and Heathrow on the way to Amsterdam. We used the AARP discount and scored some great rates on business class seats on British Airways. Loved being able to utilize the lounges at the airports and it really helped make the trip nice and relaxing. Seats on the planes were nice and our flights were on time. If you don't mind connections this was a great way to go for the price. (I still am incredibly nervous whenever I fly...but can usually keep that bit to myself.)

We overnighted in Amsterdam one night pre-cruise at the Hotel Estherea on the Singel canal. That day we spent visiting with a cousin that lives over there and then slept! As for the Estherea...its charming. Very nice boutique hotel right on the canal. Quick note on rooms...try to get one on the 3rd floor facing the canal. We stayed there twice and much preferred the room on that level. It was walking distance to DAM square and had a great breakfast in the morning. They also have two English shorthair cats that hang out in the lobby at night...I thought it was a nice touch and made it feel a bit more home-like. Granted we don't have cats, but just made the space feel cozy. Great complimentary coffee and beverages in the lobby. The staff was also super helpful with a couple tours, taxis, waking us up super early...they really did a great job for us.

A pic from the room we had on the 3rd floor of the hotel:

DSC_0514.jpg

Sunday: Embarkation to the Koningsdam...pretty smooth. Check in was fairly quick and we were aboard. Room was ready when we boarded...about 11:45. I'm not sure I'd even label priority check in as a suite perk since we were placed in the cue with other staterooms. Really wasn't a big deal, but just something to note...it's happened twice now. We took a taxi from the hotel to the pier...cheap and made it pretty easy to transport bags. After getting through and on the boat we headed to the room. (Literally skipping through the halls at this point)

Suite: SB Neptune. Very spacious. Beautiful. Layout very different than reg neptunes or other aft neptunes on vista and signature class. No dedicated makeup area or separate sink space. There is a desk, but layout is different than in other aft neptunes on other ships. Also the bath area doesn't have two shower areas. We preferred the option of using the shower in the tub areas on other neptunes since its larger....that is not available on the Koningsdam. Loved the built in usb's and reading lights. The extra window on the side is very nice in the cabin. I did like the extra light. You can look out while you are laying in bed. Beautiful. Nice storage spaces. I don't understand some of the layout choices for this particular stateroom. They could easily switch the couch and desk areas and have something a bit more functional. I'm not an expert, but the layout seemed like an after thought.

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0065_1.jpg

Side balcony view:

DSC_0051.jpg

Aft balcony view:

DSC_0053.jpg

We had SB 4184 so the deck area could hold a small army. Seriously a huge space...loved it. The very back of it is almost completely covered...side decking has a little overhang. Interactive tv...good idea but can be a little slow at times. Movie and tv show options were good in my opinion. After a full day of walking around it was nice to hop in bed and watch a movie before falling asleep. Suite bathtubs are pretty snug unless you're in the Pinnacle Suite. I think the Neptune tubs would be snug for most average sized folks. Like ridiculously small...it was laughable. First time I tried it out while trying to maneuver myself in the tub...ended up spraying the whole bath area with water on accident. It's more of a feeling like a crammed sardine rather than a relaxing soak. :)

Koningsdam is a beautiful ship. The aft Neptune layout was a big shock...really prefer to have a space dedicated for getting ready since my husband works on pictures on his laptop at the desk. I also like to use the tub and the tub shower, which on this ship really didn't work for me. Aesthetically it IS beautiful...just wish they'd tweak the layout a bit.

Welcome home!

Thank you so much for posting these photos. As one who loves the aft-wraps, I like the side window a lot! (And that huge side balcony.)

BUT agree the layout is a bit strange and the absence of a dressing room will probably keep us cruising on the Vista or Signature class if all other considerations are the same.:)

Cheers!

AZNative2000...the extra side window I did like a lot as well. It let in a lot of nice light during the day. (If they moved the desk under that and the couch to where the desk currently is I think the layout would be better in my opinion.) :)

Notes:

Notes.jpg

Lincoln Center Stage:Lincoln center stage. Matinee recital...noise from other venues is an issue; as is people just walking through and talking loudly. Performers were quite good...very talented. I really enjoyed the performances here.

lincoln%20center%20stage.jpg

trombonelight.jpg

explorer%20bar.jpg

Edited by jvalentine

I was also able to snap a few extra of the Spa areas:

Private therapy rooms:

therapy%20room2.jpg

therapy%20room.jpg

Hydro pool - We used this a ton. It is very spacious. Be wary of the shower sprays in the middle...they're super strong. However, I did try and put my feet under them one day...works pretty well for a foot massage after a long day walking. Couple's pass for a week was $249.

thermal%20suite%20whirlpool.jpg

Thermal loungers...these were always busy, but always seemed to be a couple open which was nice.

thermal%20suite.jpg

The Lido: I'll be completely honest. The Lido was like a mosh pit and seating was very limited. However, all that said, the food up there was usually quite good and fresh. (Breakfast here food wise was better than in the Pinnacle Grill...but, lol, I usually opted for the Pinnacle just because I wanted peace and quiet...not fighting the huge amount of people for a seat.)

Here are two pics of the seating area from right when we got on the ship...it was never again this empty. lol. Also, do some arm strengthening before you cruise...those Lido chairs were pretty heavy. :)

lido.jpg

lido2.jpg

I too think changing the couch and desk would be an excellent improvement. My DW will not like the non-makeup area. I love the extra side window. Excellent.

Questions :)

How was the MDR? Service / Food

Do you remember the Pinnacle Mgr?

Did you eat at Tamarind, Sel de Mer and Culinary? Looking forward to your thoughts on food, service as well

Would you travel on this ship again? I've already booked 3 cruises without setting foot on her!

what was the vibe of the ship?

OK, sorry for so many questions. Thanks